impact of CM leaving | Syracusefan.com

impact of CM leaving

CusefanATL

2018 Iggy Post Season Record NCAA Winner
We are allowed 13 scholarships
We are currently at 11 scholarships next year
We know that if we have 3 open scholarships, we have to start the penalty
We think if we have 2 open scholarships, we can delay the penalty to the following year
If CM leaves we have 3 open scholarships, we start the penalty
No TB

We are allowed 13 scholarships
We are currently at 11 scholarships next year
We know that if we have 3 open scholarships, we have to start the penalty
We think if we have 2 open scholarships, we can delay the penalty to the following year
If CM leaves we have 3 open scholarships, we start the penalty
No TB

Unless we sign TB before Chris declares??? Is that a possibility?

Unless we sign TB before Chris declares??? Is that a possibility?
Hope so. Also still wondering if the penalty would start with three open scholarships if we are in the middle of the appeal process. Does the penalty wait until the appeal is over or is it effective until decided otherwise?

It is my understanding that the filing of the official written appeal will put a hold on the penalties being appealed.

I hope Chris is back and has a great season boosting his NBA stock earning him a better contract and leading to long NBA career. I expect he will be back.

It is my understanding that the filing of the official written appeal will put a hold on the penalties being appealed.

I hope Chris is back and has a great season boosting his NBA stock earning him a better contract and leading to long NBA career. I expect he will be back.

Once we win the appeal, CM comes back and TB announces he's coming here, we can start serving our new 1 Scholarship penalty this year!

People seem to forget that if, for what ever reason, Bryant goes to SU, that brings the roster to 12. If the sanctions are upheld, SU is required to get down to 10. There are 2 seniors graduating next year, getting the roster to 10. No room for Moyer. Either Bryant or McCullough have to go pro to make room or no Moyer. Or somebody has to lose a scholarship. Look at the outcry when BJ and Ron announce they were transferring with no absolute proof they were forced out. What happens when we know somebody is asked to leave in order to get Moyer. And what about Battle. if he wants to go to SU, then either both Bryant AND McCullough have to leave or there would be 2 others ASKED to leave. My whole point is think about what you want and the implications of those desires. Of course if the sanctions are modified then this may change but by how much is still a wait and see.

People seem to forget that if, for what ever reason, Bryant goes to SU, that brings the roster to 12. If the sanctions are upheld, SU is required to get down to 10. There are 2 seniors graduating next year, getting the roster to 10. No room for Moyer. Either Bryant or McCullough have to go pro to make room or no Moyer. Or somebody has to lose a scholarship. Look at the outcry when BJ and Ron announce they were transferring with no absolute proof they were forced out. What happens when we know somebody is asked to leave in order to get Moyer. And what about Battle. if he wants to go to SU, then either both Bryant AND McCullough have to leave or there would be 2 others ASKED to leave. My whole point is think about what you want and the implications of those desires. Of course if the sanctions are modified then this may change but by how much is still a wait and see.

I don't think anybody has forgotten that. We'll need to get down to 10 by 2016-2017 if we qualify to defer in 2015-2016.

I think most view McCullough / Bryant as prospective early entry candidates. Who knows about Coleman. And perhaps there is a player that leaves due to unexpected attrition. Or the scholarship reduction could get amended via appeal. But as of right now, if Bryant chooses to come here, we'd have 12 next year, and 10 [on the books] for the following year, with Moyer and prospectively Battle looking to come in.

Clearly, we'd need to clear space to get down to that 10, as things stand today.

I will be SHOCKED, SHOCKED if we don't get at least one Scholarship back through the appeal process. I'm convinced that one of the reasons the penalties were so harsh is because they expected us to get at least one back during the appeal. All we need is one back and this all becomes much more manageable.

I will be SHOCKED, SHOCKED if we don't get at least one Scholarship back through the appeal process. I'm convinced that one of the reasons the penalties were so harsh is because they expected us to get at least one back during the appeal. All we need is one back and this all becomes much more manageable.

I feel the same way. Those unprecdentally harsh scholarship reduction sanctions had the unseemlly feel of a used car negotiation all over them. As in, the NCAA really wanted us to get 2 per year, so instead they say 3 knowing that it would get knocked down to what they were really after in the first place.

Kind of like when a used car salesman wants $5K, but his opening number is $7500 -- because he knows that even though he has to negotiate and make concessions, he'll end up at the figure he wanted in the first place anyway.

it's my understanding that next year we are allowed to exceed 10 only to accommodate previous (pre penalty) commitments made. not any future ones.

it's my understanding that next year we are allowed to exceed 10 only to accommodate previous (pre penalty) commitments made. not any future ones.

Its my understanding that since we already had more LOI and returning players than 10 we could defer the beginning of the penalty for a season. We defer NCAA, your move!

there's that phrase "already executed". past present or past pluperfect or whatever. i'm no grammarian. but it reads to me like what's done is done .but nothing new.

This reminds me of the Barry Baker thread.

there's that phrase "already executed". past present or past pluperfect or whatever. i'm no grammarian. but it reads to me like what's done is done .but nothing new.

You are inferring something that isn't implied.

I feel the same way. Those unprecdentally harsh scholarship reduction sanctions had the unseemlly feel of a used car negotiation all over them. As in, the NCAA really wanted us to get 2 per year, so instead they say 3 knowing that it would get knocked down to what they were really after in the first place.

Kind of like when a used car salesman wants $5K, but his opening number is $7500 -- because he knows that even though he has to negotiate and make concessions, he'll end up at the figure he wanted in the first place anyway.
I am in the general agreement that sanctions will be reduced but considering the draconian ways of the NCAA, one can never tell. Just to be obstinate, the NCAA could do something like, ok you want to defer for a year, then we'll reduce the penalty to a rolling reduction. 3 the first year, 2 the second and 1 each for years 3 & 4. That doesn't help the situation. My point is that you can't plan on the unknown, like kids leaving or change in sanctions. You have too plan on what is known at the time of the planning. 11 on the roster "now" minus 2 graduates next year = 9 scholarship with a limit of 10 for the 16-17 season. To plan otherwise is foolish and can lead to problems. Offering a 12th scholarship for next year can do that.

Look at it another way. The staff planned on a player to stay at least 1 more year and there was no need to bring in a play now ready pg. That bit them. Now sort of the revers is true.

TacoTime75 said:
Hoop Rumors reporting he declared. He gone.

IF true, makes getting Bryant stickier and would be dependent upon the appeals process and timing of everything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom