in 2013 Villanova lost their strenth & conditioning coach to Ohio St. | Syracusefan.com

in 2013 Villanova lost their strenth & conditioning coach to Ohio St.

retro44

Living Legend
and I believe he was under 30,the new hire was from with-in the staff I thought I read and was another under 30 guy.

Let's face it Villanova took it to us and never seemed to tire at all during the game and roughed us up pretty damn good.

Hicks looks like he is in his upper 60's and an ancient dinosaur. Time to bring in a younger guy who is up to date on the latest developments in S&C programs.
I just have never been impressed with him as I think the best specimens that came from this program were self driven from high school.

Yeah, but Nova said they went for 2 when they did because the team was gassed.

So I don't know.

and I believe he was under 30,the new hire was from with-in the staff I thought I read and was another under 30 guy.

Let's face it Villanova took it to us and never seemed to tire at all during the game and roughed us up pretty damn good.

Hicks looks like he is in his upper 60's and an ancient dinosaur. Time to bring in a younger guy who is up to date on the latest developments in S&C programs.
I just have never been impressed with him as I think the best specimens that came from this program were self driven from high school.

I'd give this 1000 likes if I could

retro44 said:
and I believe he was under 30,the new hire was from with-in the staff I thought I read and was another under 30 guy. Let's face it Villanova took it to us and never seemed to tire at all during the game and roughed us up pretty damn good. Hicks looks like he is in his upper 60's and an ancient dinosaur. Time to bring in a younger guy who is up to date on the latest developments in S&C programs. I just have never been impressed with him as I think the best specimens that came from this program were self driven from high school.

Overreaction. He's very good.

Way, way, way early to jump on Will Hicks. Guy has done a great job for years, including last year. Nobody was happy with the product on the field Friday night, but to panic and start throwing long time great guys under the bus is wrong and short sighted. Nobody was complaining at the end of last year, finishing strong, winning big games. I guess that Coach Hicks forgot how to do his job between December of last year and last Friday night!!!!

you obviously have not been around the G-rob era where charts were not kept and players regressed in S&C .....I just might know a little more than you do with this guy.

Plus I never have been impressed with him from day one.

retro44 said:

I forget what PS article I read, but a quote in it by a VU player said that they physically out played us, or something like that. I kinda believe that after watching what I did.

Remember, Hicks was asked to change the training regime to introduce more speed(which I did not notice Friday). Could this change really cause us to be a weaker team? I definitely did not see the grit and toughness I had watched last season.

But there should be no reason to throw Hicks under the bus on this. Hicks, even with his age, is praised by many of his peers and past players. Hire a younger gun to assist would be a good option, but Hicks, imho, is doing his job effectively.

I was around the Mac, P., G-Rob., HCDM, and now HCSS era. S&C coach works for the Head coach, and does what the boss says if they want to keep their job. If you are trying to lay any blame on Will Hicks for the Robinson era, you are out of your mind!

I didnt see where the offense overpowered us. we were in the backfield all night just came up empty. they only had a handful of runs that worked that didnt require missed tackles. I think they were quicker on the Dline and that caused issues and they certainly confused us. i dont know how to tell if it was a strength issue. either way its a concerm going forward and 3 of the oline played a ton last year. if we have issues with this line whats it mean going forward next year when we lose a couple more.

So only young guys can read and attend conferences to keep up on the latest techniques. I would not have known that. Thanks.

Yeah, but maybe our yoga instructor is a cougar or a hot milf??

We've broke this game down all the way to the S&C coach and his age??

Wow.

Well, I guess that's that.

Now what?

The weather for 2 weeks??

retro44 said:
you obviously have not been around the G-rob era where charts were not kept and players regressed in S&C ...I just might know a little more than you do with this guy. Plus I never have been impressed with him from day one.

Thought that was at Grob's request?

Alums in the NFL (most notably Dwight Freeney) come back to work out with Hicks over the off-season. With the exposure of some of the worlds best training staffs in the NFL at their fingertips I doubt they would waste time coming back to work out with Hicks if he wasn't good.

There was a good reason why Marrone asked Luther to go to Buffalo and not Hicks.

I will just leave you guys to bitch, piss and moan about the players, the coaching staff while I just focused on our biggest weakness that was brutally obvious during the game...we got our asse$ whipped for much of the game. Hats off the Villanova S&C staff.

An I believe Gross is his direct boss.

Even Marrone wanted more toughness as we have been getting hurt quite often under hicks

Folks here love to brag that Shafer and staff can identify under the radar players,just take a good look at the 'nova staff and what they did.

It's the things that are done behind the scenes is what makes a great program and 'nova has proven that they can do the things that make them great.

When Ohio St. poaches from them last year you know they are doing things right.

We were the bigger team we should have wore them down. We had physical mismatches all over the field.
If we had moved the ball on offense in the first half I think Villanova would have worn down.

There was a good reason why Marrone asked Luther to go to Buffalo and not Hicks.

I will just leave you guys to bitch, piss and moan about the players, the coaching staff while I just focused on our biggest weakness that was brutally obvious during the game...we got our asse$ whipped for much of the game. Hats off the Villanova S&C staff.

An I believe Gross is his direct boss.

Even Marrone wanted more toughness as we have been getting hurt quite often under hicks

Did it ever occur to you that Hicks has a better financial package with SU than he would have received in Buffalo?

Or, did it occur to you that Hicks was asked to go but chose to stay?

You think that Hicks reports to Gross on S&C issues?

And finally, you think that our inability to tackle Robertson or to execute punt coverage or to take advantage of our tall and fast WRs was Hicks' fault?

I think your presumptions, though interesting, are not accurate.

Folks here love to brag that Shafer and staff can identify under the radar players,just take a good look at the 'nova staff and what they did.

It's the things that are done behind the scenes is what makes a great program and 'nova has proven that they can do the things that make them great.

When Ohio St. poaches from them last year you know they are doing things right.
You still at this??

Based on your theory, I'm guessing you expect the stupid blue to get out muscled for 11 straight losses now, don't you???

Hicks wasn't asked to go to Buffalo. Hal Luther might have been the biggest loss for SU in that transition- ask any football/lax player who worked under him what they thought of him as a S&C coach.

You still at this??

Based on your theory, I'm guessing you expect the stupid blue to get out muscled for 11 straight losses now, don't you???

LOL ...Your a funny guy who only watched the halftime show for the game. it's obvious you missed the O.T. sessions

Let's see, 5 running plays from the goal line and we get a total of -6 yards rushing according to the play by play stats.

Thank god none of our lineman were ball carriers at that point as they were being pushed farther in the backfield than our running backs were.

Let's face the plays that were being called for was that we were pulling the guard or tackle from the right side to left,but the one problem was was that our linemen were getting bull rushed backwards and made those plays useless. The guard or tackle had to loop further around to seal the hole that was not there.

They should have closed the gaps and every lineman powers straight ahead and go right or left. Nova knew the play was going left everytime with pulling guards or tackles.

Be proud of losing 6 yards on 5 plays to a team that was 40 pounds lighter across the front. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if some of those kids are paying their own way as the FCS is limited to 63 either at full or partial ,but no more than 85 total if partials are used

Hicks wasn't asked to go to Buffalo. Hal Luther might have been the biggest loss for SU in that transition- ask any football/lax player who worked under him what they thought of him as a S&C coach.

I suspect that our S&C situation is not the problem.

I suspect that our S&C situation is not the problem.

Not saying it is, but SU sure didn't look like the better conditioned athletes out there on Friday night, especially since the offense had just about the entire 4th quarter off.

Just pointing out that Luther might have contributed more to SU football than the asst. coaches who left with Marrone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom