In how many stadiums have you attended football games... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

In how many stadiums have you attended football games...

Carrier Dome
Yankee Stadium
Metlife
UConn
Rutgers
Pitt
WVU
West Point
Annapolis
Maryland
Uva
Notre Dame
Michigan
Purdue
Archbold
Cornell
Ithaca
Philadelphia
Buffalo
Redskins
Nyc

Best - Michigan
Worst - rutgers or pitt

Been to around 18 different stadiums.

Best all-around experience the 49ers/Bengals Super Bowl at Joe Robbie Stadium. Brand new stadium, perfect weather, and non-stop excitement from hours before the kickoff until the final play of the game. Ohio State and Penn State have the best college football atmosphere of the college stadiums I've been to.

Worst overall experience the Cherry Bowl in Pontiac. Nobody in the stands and the weather was brutal. A large part of the crowd was made up of locals who bought tickets solely to support the bowl and it had the smallest percentage of fans in the stands who were actually rooting for either team of any game I ever attended.

Here's my list subject to additions (if I have forgotten any!):

Carrier Dome (SU football, basketball and lacrosse)
Manley Field House (SU women's basketball and volleyball)
Giants Stadium (Giants, Army-Navy)
MetLife Stadium (Giants and Jets)
Veteran's Stadium (Army-Navy)
Qualcomm Stadium, aka Jack Murphy (Chargers, Padres, Holiday Bowl, Super Bowl XXXII)
Petco Park (Padres)
Tropicana Field (Devil Rays)
Shea Stadium (Mets)
Citi Field (Mets)
Old Yankee Stadium
New Yankee Stadium
Kaufman Stadium (Royals)
Fenway Park
Orange Bowl Stadium ('99 Orange Bowl)
Fleet Center (SU NCAA Tourney Games 2x, concerts)
Times Union Center (SU NCAA Tourney Games, concerts)
Madison Square Garden (SU-SJU, concerts)
Citrus Bowl (Numerous Capital One Bowls)
Anaheim Stadium, don't remember the name at the time (Angels)
Wherever the Pittsburgh Penguins used to play
Ralph Wilson Stadium (Bills)
Michie Stadium (Army)
Aloha Stadium (Hawaii)
Dunkin' Donuts Center (SU-Providence)
Joe Robbie Stadium, or one of the five hundred other names (Dolphins-Jets wildcard game, the same day as the SU-Florida Orange Bowl)
Schoellkopf Stadium (Cornell, SU lacrosse, played on it in high school)
Andy Kerr Stadium (Colgate)

It seems as if I am missing a few...

Best tailgating: hard to say, but tailgating with some local fans before SU games in '98 (my freshman year) was always fun, we'd pay a few bucks and they'd let us eat and drink!

Best Experience: from a fan's perspective the SU NCAA Tourney Games, from a pure atmosphere perspective probably the Super Bowl or Army-Navy games

Worst Experience: not even close the Dunkin' Donuts Center, after the friend I was following failed to pull over for an ambulance I got lost in the smallest (and purely because of this event) sh!ttiest city in the world, made it in finally just before halftime

CTO, my Orange Bowl experience in '99 was interesting as well. We were literally driving home to NY after the game so we parked in some random people's lawn. It was an old Cuban couple, we paid about 50!bucks to be a few blocks from the stadium, and the wife promised us our car would be safe by showing us the shotgun she was going to use to protect it.

Most Memorable Games (as of this moment this is the list):
SU Oklahoma St. '03 NCAAs
SU Wisconsin '10 NCAAs
SU Notre Dame (Walter Reyes game)
Super Bowl 32
Giants-Chargers '07? (a few of my buddies have front row seats behind the Giants' bench)
SU Duke '13-'14
SU Virginia Tech '98

Last edited:
Worst game experience: Temple
Worst away-game fan experience due to a-hole people: WVU

Carrier Dome
Archbold Stadium
Pitt Stadium
Mountaineer Stadium (old stadium)
MetLife Stadium
Rich Stadium (while Dome was being built)
Schoelkopf Field (Cornell)
Andy Kerr Stadium (Colgate)
Michie Stadium (Army)
Fisher Stadium (Lafayette)
Christy Matthewson Stadium (Bucknell)
Goodman Stadium (Lehigh)
And a bunch of Division III stadiums

I've been to far more baseball stadiums than football stadiums but that might get remedied once I get the last kid out of college next year.

Best experience? Syracuse vs. WVU November 21, 1987.

I'm sure I can't recall every venue.

But, I would say the best football venue - the most memorable for me - had to be my first game at Archbold Stadium in October, 1968. It was a sunny day. I walked into the stadium from the NE Entrance - abutting the Quad - and was astounded to see that the seats actually went down to the field. The west endzone had the gothic arch. The field was perfect - green. And I fell in love instantly with the orange helmets, blue jerseys and orange pants. Syracuse University beat Pitt that day 50-17 and I was hooked.

In its day, Archbold Stadium was a truly great football venue - so that for me is No. 1.

And, I have said it before and will say it again - there is no better football venue than the Carrier Dome at night with a full house. Not a bad seat in the house and the loudest place I have ever been.

We are luck that in CNY we have had two great football venues.

Other venues I have visited that I thought provided a great football experience: (1) ND Stadium; (2) LA Coliseum; (3) The Horseshoe at Ohio State; (4) the old Orange Bowl - loved it; (4) Michigan Stadium; (5) Memorial Stadium in Bloomington, Indiana; (6) Bobby Dodd Stadium at Ga Tech.

The only NFL stadiums that have truly rocked me are: (1) University of Phoenix Stadium in AZ and (2) Lucas Oil Field in Indy - wow!!!! Both venues are special.

Many of the other NFL stadiums I have visited seem pretty much the same to me - Tampa, Philly, Pittsburgh, Buffalo et al.

Some bad venues I have visited: (1) RFK Stadium; (2) The Vet here in Philly; (3) War Memorial in Buffalo - truly bad; (4) Memorial Stadium in Baltimore;

I've seen SU play at, in no particular order:

Carrier Dome
ND
Auburn
Tennessee
BC
UNC
Rutgers
Temple (Linc)
VT
Orange Bowl (for that 1999 game)
Gator Bowl
Champs Bowl in Orlando
Old Giants Stadium
East Carolina
Maryland
Pinstripe
Northwestern

I think Tennessee was the best gameday atmosphere. As far as pure tailgating, I'd say Auburn. Lots of room out on the plains.

ND is a cool gameday experience, but South Bend is horrible.

As bad as the Orange Bowl was, I did have a great time at the pre-game. Stadium was terrible.

I'd say East Carolina in 2000 was my worst overall experience. Rained the whole game, town was a dump, SU played terrible. If I could take one weekend back, that would be it.

All of the bowl experiences were great for a variety of reasons.

I was at the Army-Navy game that had the railing collapse as students were hanging off of it. I had no idea what happened but knew that there was a long delay in play and the ambulance was there. It was really an odd feeling to be at the stadium then. I'd say it was the worst.

I've obviously been to the Carrier Dome.
I was invited to watch the spring game at Clemson in 2011. I had a good time.
I've been to VT's Lane Stadium multiple times. I watched SU get absolutely destroyed there back in the Big East days. I think it was like 56-7. I've been back as I have friends on the team and also a manager for the team so I go to support them. My hatred has lessened a lot towards VT. The fans still ruin them for me but that's probably because I live in VA.
I watched UVA get destroyed by Oregon last year, that was enjoyable. I've also been a couple other times.
I've been to a dozen, or so, games at WVU's Milan Puskar Stadium. Never a dull moment there.
I've been to Wake Forest's place twice to watch SU. This year and the time we played there before that. The concessions at that place are horribly run.
I've watched a few games at Richmond and also at James Madison.

That's the best I can remember at the moment considering I'm nursing a mighty hangover.

Great topic...Here is my list. I am not going to count stadiums I have been to but did not attend games at (ie Hoosier/RCA Dome in Indianapolis, Camden Yards, etc).

College Football Regular Season

The Carrier Dome
MetLife Stadium
Giants Stadium
UBuffalo
BC's Alumni Stadium
Heinz Field in Pittsburgh
The Big House in Ann Arbor, MI
Notre Dame Stadium
Neland Stadium in Knoxville, TN
TCF Bank Stadium in St. Paul, MN

Bowl Games

Tampa Stadium for The Hall of Fame Bowl
Jacksonville Municipal for The Gator Bowl
Sun Devil Stadium for The Fiesta Bowl
The Orange Bowl

NFL Games

Rich/Ralph Wilson Stadium
Shea Stadium
Giants Stadium
Foxboro Stadium
The Louisiana Superdome
Hubert H. Humphery Metrodome in Minneapolis, MN
Joe Robbie/Pro Player Stadium in Miami, FL

MLB

Hubert H. Humphery Metrodome in Minneapolis, MN
Old Yankee Stadium
New Yankee Stadium
Houston Astrodome
SafeCo Field in Seattle
KingDome in Seattle
PNC Park in Pittsburgh
Riverfront Stadium in Cincinnati
Jacobs Field in Cleveland
Fenway Park in Boston
Target Field in Minneapolis, MN
Olympic Stadium in Montreal

College Basketball Regular Season

The Carrier Dome
Pepsi Arena/Times Union Center in Albany, NY
Madison Square Garden
Meadowlands Arena in NJ
Providence Civic Center in Providence, RI

NCAA Tournament Games

The Carrier Dome
Louisiana SuperDome
Knickerbocker Arena/Pepsi Arena/Times Union Center in Albany, NY
Fleet Center/TD Garden in Boston
HSBC/First Niagara Arena in Buffalo
Worcester Centrum in Worcester, MA

NBA Regular Season Games

Boston Garden
McNichols Arena in Denver, CO
America West Arena in Proenix, AZ

NBA Pre-Season Games

Knickerbocker Arena in Albany, NY
Carrier Dome
Glens Falls Civic Center

Misc.

Many Arena Football games including ArenaBowl in Albany, NY at Knickerbocker/Pepsi Arena
Pan Am team vs. NBA players exhibition in Market Square Arena in Indianapolis, IN
NHL Exhibition in Glens Falls Civic Center

SUOrange44

For college football, these were the only ones I could come up with...

Archbold Stadium
Carrier Dome
Ralph Wilson Stadium
Schoellkopf Field
Gillette Stadium, or whatever they are calling the Pats stadium these days
Giants Stadium
MetLife Stadium
Byrd Stadium
Pontiac Silverdome (Cherry Bowl)
Veterans Stadium
Lincoln Financial Field
Superdome
Three Rivers Stadium
Orlando Citrus Bowl Stadium
Heinz Field
Beaver Stadium
Alumni Stadium (BC)
High Point Solutions Stadium (Rutgers)
Yankee Stadium
Ryan Field (Northwestern)
Rentschler Field (East Hartford, UConn plays there)
Michie Stadium
University at Buffalo Stadium
Tampa Stadium (Hall of Fame Bowl)
Raymond James Stadium (USF)
Ross Ade Stadium (Purdue)
Notre Dame Stadium
InfoCison Stadium (Akron)
Scott Stadium (University of Virginia)
Doak Campbell Stadium
Carter-Finley Stadium (NC State)
NRG Stadium (Houston, Texas Bowl)
Kelly/Shorts Stadium (Central Michigan)
BB&T Field (Wake Forest)
Memorial Stadium (Clemson)

Worst experience was either a game at Vet Stadium or at Rutgers.

I saw SU play Temple in front of about 4000 fans in an awful game. Two bad teams. Not much talent. Syracuse lost...Temple QB Walter Washington just kept running the ball and the SU defense had no answer to stop him. No tailgating, no atmosphere, no excitement (you could hear the players and refs talking from the stands), no anything. And a long ride home.

Rutgers beat SU at their stadium in front of less than 10K on their senior day. Again, two bad teams without much talent. No atmosphere, no excitement. I remember feeling bad for the Rutgers seniors, who had perhaps 100 people clap for them as they were introduced. That was the wind bowl game, where SU players repeatedly struggled to even catch wind blown kickoffs. Even with the tiny crowd, there was a traffic jam leaving the area and I had to drive through white out conditions for much of the ride home.

Best experience might have been the Sugar Bowl. Auburn fans were fun to talk trash with, despite the ending, it was a great game filled with a lot of future pro players and the crowd was really into it. Might be the hardest hitting game I have ever seen.

Just college football
Dome
Boston College
UConn
Yankee Stadium (Pinstripe Bowls)
Rutgers
Temple (The Vet and the new stadium)
Penn State
Akron
Michigan
Notre Dame
Purdue
Virginia Tech
Maryland
North Carolina
Florida State
Army
Tennessee
Gator Bowl
Orange Bowl (the old one)
South Florida
Hall of Fame Bowl (Tampa)
Arizona State (Fiesta Bowl, twice)
Met Life
Northwestern

Best-Penn State and Michigan
Worst-The Vet

Last edited:
Outside of the Carrier Dome:

Michigan Stadium
Ryan Field (Northwestern)
Rynearson Stadium (Eastern Michigan)
Rose Bowl (UCLA)
Orange Bowl (bowl game)
Carter-Finley Stadium (NC State)
Kenan Stadium (UNC)
Byrd Stadium (Maryland)
Spartan Stadium (Michigan State)
Kyle Field (Texas A&M)
Nippert Stadium (Cincinnati)
Doak Campbell Stadium (Florida State)
Notre Dame Stadium

These are just college football:
Thanks Google Maps!
27 in all.
Best Overall Experience (factoring game result out): Williams-Brice (South Carolina) is kind of cool with the tailgating cabooses right next to the stadium. We also got to see Sir Big Spur get unloaded - they bring him in via an RC truck. The fans at Kansas State were also very nice (if I had a nickel for every time we heard "Welcome to Kansas"...)
Worst Experience - up to about ten years ago the Auburn-UGA series was viewed as a battle between brothers but lately it's turned mean spirited so that's worst in terms of fan interactions. I've heard from others that West Virginia is a pit. Worst in personal comfort for me was the Liberty Bowl game I attended in Memphis: hungover, temperature right at freezing, the type of game where there are 200 guys hanging out in the bathroom because it's warm...

Jerryworld is something to behold. You know the scene in the first Star Wars where the good guys lay eyes on the Death Star for the first time? You'll have same reaction to seeing Jerryworld. You can see it for miles in the distance.

My friends and I arrived two hours before the game so we could walk around. We walked all the way to the top. Even the view from the cheap seats is great and the amenities are first class all the way around. 10 out of 10.

Here's one not mentioned: A Hawaii game combo'd with a tour of Pearl Harbor. I've done both but it would fun to put them together in a single day assuming you had a night game.

A typical Carrier Dome experience is as good as the crowd. Lots of fun when it is rocking.

Archbold (a handful of games)
Carrier Dome

That is it. Okay at least I have been to most of the games in the Dome...

Pro Football:
Rich Stadium (a couple times to see the Brownies. I hate that place)
Municipal Stadium (Cleveland) This needed to be replaced. ;) )
FirstEnergy Stadium (the only NFL stadium to have never hosted a playoff game! I'm sure that streak will stay intact for this season)
Lambeau Field (Mom is from Wisconsin.) A good time was had.
Arrowhead Stadium (Dad was from Missouri.) If you are afraid of heights do not sit in the upper deck. Tailgate was tasty.

I have been to a ton more MLB games but won't list out. Favorite stadium though was Old Comiskey Park. My White Sox fandom has to say Wrigley Field was the worst. ;)

Last edited:
Florida
Georgia
LSU
Miss St
Auburn
Tennessee
Vandy
Gator Bowl (Tenessee)
Ga Tech
Clemson
Wake Forest
E Carolina
Sugar Bowl (Auburn)
Tulane
Shea Stadium (Pitt)
Archbold
Carrier Dome

ive seen the Orange play at

the Dome
Giants Stadium I & II
Yankee Stadium
bc
the vet (dont know if i went to the linc. little help? was I?)
penn st
pitt stadium (panther field? whatever the F it was called)
michigan
rutgers
unc
nc st
orange bowl
vpi

thats it?? wow, seems light. a lot ive been to numerous times though. but even when i was getting out, guess i wasnt getting out much.

ive also seen college games at

army
navy
wake forest
colgate
holy cross
columbia
yale
cornell
dartmouth
princeton

a whole bunch of D3's.

seen the Giants at

buffalo
foxboro
foxborough (make up your mind you wicked eedeeots)
phillys 2 stadiums
washingtons 2 stadiums
pittsburgh new stadium
carolina
LA Colliseum

Katrina screwed my nawlins trip

looking back at them all, i guess i dont like to fly!! still think im missing some...

as far as tailgating goes, i like the pro style the best. i like to eat and drink in the shadow of the stadium where the game is, but ive had fun everywhere. its all about the people youre with and the booze. ive had some fun shuttle bus ride too, so even those places a little more quirky can be cool.

Last edited:
dome
old giants stadium
knoxville
orange bowl
auburn
UB

the orange bowl had rivers of diarrhea, i'm shocked it didn't go up in flames during the game.

ub is just sad. high school bleachers a mile away from the field. built that way for the world university games which seemed like a big deal to WNY for no apparent reason. my favorite WUG story is the italian baseball team getting mercy ruled in batavia where i was scoreboard operator, they retreat to the locker room all glum to find some insane feast waiting for them from Pontillos and a whole bunch of 2nd generation italian spinsters awkwardly hoping one of these terrible baseball players would look at them and decide to take them back home

i digress

knoxville was the best. i don't think that can be topped. i'm still surprised auburn didn't sell out our game.

... and which was the best experience? And the worst experience? (Not talking about the game outcome... just about the day's experience).

Watching the Army-Navy game today, I was reminded how much fun it is to attend a game at West Point (Michie Stadium) and was prompted to think of other fun venues.

I've attended games in more than 20 venues (Archbold Stadium, Polo Grounds, old Yankee Stadium, new Yankee Stadium, Met Live Stadium, Giants Stadium, Rutgers Stadium, BC Stadium (whatever it's called), Yale Bowl, Rentschler Field, the old UConn field in Storrs, Wien Stadium (Columibia), Michie Stadium, the Dome, Ohio Stadium, Purdue's stadium, Notre Dame Stadium, the old Orange Bowl, the old Cotton Bowl, the stadium in Orlando for that forgettable Champs Bowl game, SuperDome, Rose Bowl, Foxboro Stadium, and probably some others).

Tailgating experience? Yale Bowl, and it's not close. First, a huge parking lot surrounds the stadium and is very accessible and very inexpensive. Second, alums of all decades show up with amazing food spreads and set-ups. Everything from linen table cloths, candelabra, gourmet food and fine wine on folding tables ... to set-ups and food offerings that would match the Fine Mess feast. And everyone seems to want to share with everyone else. It's all very old-school... very genteel.

Entire game day experience? Based on attending a Michigan game there when both teams were highly rated, I'd have to say Notre Dame. Interesting campus (an actual tourist destination), very accessible tailgating, and a great game experience (two world-class college marching bands out-dueling each other all day, the ND Leprechaun doing his push-ups after each score, and a 17-17 game that was in doubt until the last second). I am sure the presence of a highly-ranked opponent enhanced the experience, but, hey, it's what I experienced.

Worst experience? Not close. That old Orange Bowl for the 1999 Orange Bowl game. Rat-infested, dilapidated, firetrap in a terrible part of town. That was the last Orange Bowl played there, and the stadium has since been torn down.
I was at the grove for the tennessee game on 10/18/14, it was the best pre-game ever

Carrier Dome - since birth
Fenway- more than 10 times
Heinz Field - 3 times
UB stadium - 3 times
Rutgers crap house - 2nd worse in stadium experience
Rentschler airport Field - worst in stadium experience
Skydome / Rogers Center ( international bowl ) also MLB games 5 times
Yankee Stadium twice
MetLife
Yale Bowl - loved the feel there. Much like Fenway you can feel the history
Lambeau - no words can describe lambeau
Andy Kerr (Colgate)
Hobart
Gillette Stadium - boring
Alumni Stadium (BC)
Rich Stadium ( ralph wilson)
Pepsi Arena
MSG several times (BET etc)
HSBC Arena
Angels Stadium - too much Disney influence
Schoellkopf Stadium (Cornell)
Boston Garden
The Jake
Shea
Camden Yards - gorgeous

im sure im forgetting more..but yea

Football
-Dome
-Yankee Stadium
-Shea Stadium
-Giants Stadium
-Rutgers
-Vet
-Ravens Stadium
-Maryland
-The Danny
-UVa
-UNC
-NCSU
-Orange Bowl
(Holy Cross and Lafayette in college)
-Notre Dame

SU football
Tampa Raymond James
Wake
UNC
Md
Phoenix Insight
PSU
Rutgers 3 imes
Temple Vet 3times Linc once
BC Alumni 2x
Met Life
Buffalo
Pitt Heinz
Cinncinatti
South Bend
Sugar Bowl Super dome Tulane Superdome
New Yankee Stadium Two bowl games

Loudest Carrier Dome late 80s and 90s ( Big Games )

NFL ( mostly following Giants road games)
Ralph Wilsom
Cleveland Mistake by the Lake
Foxboro ( Schafer )
Giants stadium
Detroit Silverdome
RFk

Other Sports/stuff

Red bull Arena (20 times or so ) One of the best venues you will ever go to .
Legion field ( USA qualifier )
Union soccer chester Pa
Stub Hub Center ( formerly home depot )
Gillette
Rose Bowl ( Old NASL 3,000 fans in 100,000 seat stadium )
Dodger Stadium
Fenway Park
San Jose St Stadium ( former home of Earthquake )
Archibold of course
Exhibition Toronto

Indoor
MSG many times
Continental
Pepsi (03 East Regionals )
The Aud Buffalo (The Boss, Sabres )

Last edited:
These are just college football:
Thanks Google Maps!
27 in all.
Best Overall Experience (factoring game result out): Williams-Brice (South Carolina) is kind of cool with the tailgating cabooses right next to the stadium. We also got to see Sir Big Spur get unloaded - they bring him in via an RC truck. The fans at Kansas State were also very nice (if I had a nickel for every time we heard "Welcome to Kansas"...)
Worst Experience - up to about ten years ago the Auburn-UGA series was viewed as a battle between brothers but lately it's turned mean spirited so that's worst in terms of fan interactions. I've heard from others that West Virginia is a pit. Worst in personal comfort for me was the Liberty Bowl game I attended in Memphis: hungover, temperature right at freezing, the type of game where there are 200 guys hanging out in the bathroom because it's warm...
auburn fans are kinda psycho

Slow Monday so I actually took time and thought this out.

Football-
Sun Devil Stadium- SU vs KSU fiesta bowl
Kinnick Stadium- SU vs Iowa
Ryan Field- x2 SU vs NU
TCF Bank- SU vs Minny
Metlife- SU vs USC
Mizzou Stadium- SU vs Mizzou
Memorial Stadium- One Nebraska game I got free tickets to
Arrowhead- Many of Chiefs games

As you can see no Dome, I am still saving that trip for a truly memorable game. Plus I think I am one of the only ones in my family to not see SU game in the Dome.

Best experience was easily Mizzou, fun tailgating and a SU win and we had amazing seats right by the SU tunnel and got them cheap.

Worst Experience was probably Iowa. Got blown out bad and had to sit through a GROB coached football game.

For Basketball I have been to quite a few more arenas

CenturyLink Center Omaha- Creighton home games
SIU arena- CU vs SIU Gameday game in 2008
Koch Arena- SIU vs Wichita State
Sprint Center KC- SU vs UF
Mizzou Arena- SU vs Mizzou
Knapp Center- CU vs Drake
McCleod Center- CU vs Northern Iowa
Orleans Arena in Vegas- CU vs Wisconsin and Arizona State
Devaney Center and Pinnacle Bank Arena- CU vs Nebraska
Scottrade Center- MVC Tourney
Wells Fargo Arena Des Moines- CU vs Iowa
Dayton Arena- CU vs Dayton
The Pit- CU vs UNM
Thomas and Mack center- USA basketball game
Wells Fargo in Philly- CU vs Nova
Dunkin Donuts- CU vs PC
MSG- Big East tourney

Basketball wise best was a tie between the Pit and Nova. (Nova more for the game but still it was a blast doing a Big East road trip in Philly and Providence)
Worst is a tie between Nebraska and Providence. Nebraska is a bunch of football fans who wear football jerseys to the game and act like they know what is going on. Providence fans were just when we went up there and it was even worse at MSG for the BE final when they all came out of Penn Station for the last day.

Since we are on Stadiums and best environments you need to have a College World Series trip in Omaha on your list. Tons of Tailgating outside the stadium and beer gardens at night. I am biased but it is always a great time.

For football I've only attended games at:

Carrier Dome
Met Life
The Vet
Bobby Dodd