In your opinion is JB the HC next year? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

In your opinion is JB the HC next year?

I think next year will be his last year but I think it would be best for both parties if this was his final season. Next year very well could be even tougher than this one so that would leave an even worse taste in his mouth as he hangs it up. Hopefully he gets 4 more wins and can at least hang on to a Final 4 and 1,000th win in his last two years.

From a program standpoint I think earlier you make the transition the better at this point.

I think next year will be his last year but I think it would be best for both parties if this was his final season. Next year very well could be even tougher than this one so that would leave an even worse taste in his mouth as he hangs it up. Hopefully he gets 4 more wins and can at least hang on to a Final 4 and 1,000th win in his last two years.

From a program standpoint I think earlier you make the transition the better at this point.

This is the probable outcome and is right on the mark. Does JB really care about 1,000? I'm not sure either way. I voted he'd go but I'm really torn.

Here's an interesting question: if given the choice, would Hop prefer to take over next year or the one after? I don't think the obvious answer is next year. It comes down to recruiting. Do we know if Ayala would want to reclassify if he knows Hop is the coach next year, for example?

This is the probable outcome and is right on the mark. Does JB really care about 1,000? I'm not sure either way. I voted he'd go but I'm really torn.

Here's an interesting question: if given the choice, would Hop prefer to take over next year or the one after? I don't think the obvious answer is next year. It comes to to recruiting. Do we know if Ayala would want to reclassify if he knows Hop is the coach next year, for example?

I don't think he comes across as caring but I really think deep down he really cares a lot.

Do we know if Ayala would want to reclassify if he knows Hop is the coach next year, for example?
You mean like we can't fire shafer because of the monster class he was bringing in? Ayala would help next season no question, but unless JC himself decides to enroll at SU for his second coming, these types of decisions should not be influenced in any way by recruits.

I don't think he comes across as caring but I really think deep down he really cares a lot.

Yeah, my question wasn't like: does JB REALLY care... It was a question. I'm not sure but I tend to agree with you, especially if people acknowledge it in the media and it brings up the NCAA's hypocrisy.

You mean like we can't fire shafer because of the monster class he was bringing in? Ayala would help next season no question, but unless JC himself decides to enroll at SU for his second coming, these types of decisions should not be influenced in any way by recruits.

Did you read what I wrote and comprehend what I wrote? I meant that the type of team we will have could influence whether Hop would want to come in next year. We only have like 4-5 guys coming back, so this year's class and next year's are of paramount importance and could influence when Hop would want to start (if given a choice).

He will be back next year. He should hang it up after this debacle, though. He has lost this team. It's time.

Does anyone think he wishes he rode off into the sunset last year after the FF?
No- He is making, what, $1.3 million? No reason to retire when you're making that. Love when they asked Steve Nash "Steve why do you just not retire since you can never stay healthy." Nash: "Im slated to make $13 million next year, that's why."

I thought this would be his last year if this team had another great run, but I don't see him going out like this.

Here's an interesting question: if given the choice, would Hop prefer to take over next year or the one after? I don't think the obvious answer is next year. It comes down to recruiting. Do we know if Ayala would want to reclassify if he knows Hop is the coach next year, for example?

My semi-educated guess is Hop would want to take over as soon as he can. The current vibe around the program is not a good one. Seems like JB has lost the locker room with his treatment of the players and the increasingly hands off approach JB has taken the last few years is 100% impacting our talent level. The Hop era ringing in could give the program a much needed shot in the arm on the recruiting trail and overall team morale.

At this point I think it's time for JB and the program to celebrate everything they've done for each other and move to the next era. My worry, and wouldn't surprise me if Hop sees this, is that the longer JB stays and things keep trending how they are that leads to a smaller margin for error for Hop when he takes over.

I hope he's done after this year. Mostly because I want to see if Hop has what it takes to be a head coach at a high level.

I think he coaches for 3 more years. To clarify, this season and two more after it.

How do you guys envision Hop's approach? Observations of his interactions and hearing him speak to a crowd of middle school students in the past, I would think he would be much more likely to "pump guys up"rather than (publicly) tear them down. He is a bundle of "positivity." I'm not trying to debate what style works best - just curious if everyone would anticipate an entirely (although equally intense) different "vibe." (Of course being the head coach means that you might have to be the bad cop while your assistants play good cop... I dunno.)

Impossible to place a value on what HCJB has meant to the program and CNY overall - however the next phase is upon us.

The issue is that Boe staying isnt going to help. We will be WORSE next year and recruiting looks abysmal thus far. He would have to stay 2-3 more and that CANT happen. He needs to step aside after the season for the good of the program. We are in a world of hurt either way.

How can we really say if we'll be better or worse next year though? We don't even know who will be on the team yet. Reality of college hoops, and even more so for us right now.

I do agree though, at this point it feels like delaying the inevitable is not doing anything for the program.

Not giving up on next season until I see the roster...and even then, how do you know? Half of us thought we were winning the NC this year. Maybe we fill out the roster with parts that come together better next year? Maybe our stud freshman two guard stays this time around.

Not counting out Moyer being a nice contributor next year either.

How do you guys envision Hop's approach? Observations of his interactions and hearing him speak to a crowd of middle school students in the past, I would think he would be much more likely to "pump guys up"rather than (publicly) tear them down. He is a bundle of "positivity." I'm not trying to debate what style works best - just curious if everyone would anticipate an entirely (although equally intense) different "vibe." (Of course being the head coach means that you might have to be the bad cop while your assistants play good cop... I dunno.)

Impossible to place a value on what HCJB has meant to the program and CNY overall - however the next phase is upon us.

I agree on that aspect...I think players will like him better, which is a positive but it's ultimately not that important...unless it leads to better recruiting.

As for as his game coaching and overall approach as far as playing time, offense, defense, etc...no way to know until it happens.

No- He is making, what, $1.3 million? No reason to retire when you're making that. Love when they asked Steve Nash "Steve why do you just not retire since you can never stay healthy." Nash: "Im slated to make $13 million next year, that's why."
Horribly underpaid.

"And I don't believe JB walks away, unless somehow this season has a satisfying ending for him."

Flowers and a nice bottle of chianti for Julie should do the trick ;)
Well done.

Considering how badly people here are at making predictions about the team, I discount everything said. Just 2 years ago, looking at incoming classes, prediction's were a good run at an NC this year or next getting JB another NC before he retires. Predictions last summer were with the addition's of 2 good 5th year sr, this team was going to go 10 deep. Howard had developed a shot and was going to be a good pg. TR was going to finally be focused for an entire season, preparing for the NBA and Colman was going to finally be the productive center everybody thought he would be. And Chukwu was to be at least a defensive stalwart. How's that for great predictions by this forum!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom