Indoor Practice Facility | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Indoor Practice Facility

Are you talking about the Michigan facility?

Yes, once you pass main campus on State and get closer to the Stadium Boulevard, it gets pretty awful east of U-M. Lots of run-down houses and semi-abandoned industrial estates.

I thought it was supposed to be like the Melo center where the fball players could go in and practice whenever they wanted?

I don't think so as it is being used for practice by other programs...Lax and Soccer.

GoSU96 said:
Why? Unless it's interfering with another program, who cares?

I didn't donate for Canisius to use it (if they did). That's not what it was promoted for. Of course if they rented it to them, then that's a little different.

I didn't donate for Canisius to use it (if they did). That's not what it was promoted for. Of course if they rented it to them, then that's a little different.

They came out and played SU two weekends in a row. Not a big deal to do them a favor and let them use the facility at some point.

So who uses Manley these days? Is it still in use?

I'm just wondering if they specifically hit up football donors for money so the whole athletic department can use it?

Anybody have any idea how that worked out?

I'm just wondering if they specifically hit up football donors for money so the whole athletic department can use it?

Women's Softball maybe? And it still has a small indoor track.

As far as Manley Softball and Womens Soccer are using it. Womens' Soccer just had a 7x7 in there yesterday.

Well the Olympic sports have their weight room in there. Track uses it, even though it means sometimes the sprinters start in a hallway to do the workout. Softball has their batting cages in there and I guess Hicks is using it for the Pro Day guys' workouts.

Hopefully Manley gets reconfigured to make it more useful to the teams who want to use it.

They're playing at Yale tomorrow. They'd have to pass through Syracuse to get to CT.

Other than that, I've got nothing.
Maybe Cuse allowed them to practice enroute to Yale.

I hear from a reliable source, that they are building a statue of Rob Konrad wresting a shark. It was to be carved out of granite, but they ran out of granite when replicating the bad assedness of Rob Konrad, so no shark.

So what else is actually IN the practice facility? I've only ever seen pictures of the field, and even then, it's limited. What other stuff is in there? Is there a weight room in the IPF? Any offices? A classroom/meeting room? Anything like that at all? I really, really wish SU would post more pictures of the place.

So what else is actually IN the practice facility? I've only ever seen pictures of the field, and even then, it's limited. What other stuff is in there? Is there a weight room in the IPF? Any offices? A classroom/meeting room? Anything like that at all? I really, really wish SU would post more pictures of the place.

Its literally just an enclosed field. I do believe there are smaller locker room areas and bathrooms for "Soccer"?, but really, all it is, is a football field in a n airplane hangar. All of the the other facilities were modernized and renovated during dougies final year over at Manley.

I am told the new women's lacrosse locker room is in there. They raised the money themselves because the SUAD was not capable of helping. Very similar to what happened with the Melo Center but on a much smaller basis.

It is said to be very impressive.

Linkage

There are areas in the front on each side of the front desk as well as off the back... Of which I saw none...

to no one in particular, i'm not going to worry about what's on the walls of an indoor practice facility

we're not going to compete on bells and whistles, it's functional, it has a roof, it has flat turf to give each other brain damage, it's fine

I am told the new women's lacrosse locker room is in there. They raised the money themselves because the SUAD was not capable of helping. Very similar to what happened with the Melo Center but on a much smaller basis.

It is said to be very impressive.

Linkage

It's not in the IPF. They took over the Olympic weight room, which is now located inside Manley. SU now has to raise money to build a new weight room...why they didn't just build a new locker room for W. Lax, I have no idea (well I have an idea and that it's an another example of a short-sighted decision).

It is impressive- it has a kitchen, a sauna and a film room...and now 8-10 teams do their lifting in a cage, which must do wonders for their recruiting efforts.

It's not in the IPF. They took over the Olympic weight room, which is now located inside Manley. SU now has to raise money to build a new weight room...why they didn't just build a new locker room for W. Lax, I have no idea (well I have an idea and that it's an another example of a short-sighted decision).

It is impressive- it has a kitchen, a sauna and a film room...and now 8-10 teams do their lifting in a cage, which must do wonders for their recruiting efforts.

Fix one problem, create 10... The SUAD folks! Love to be a fly on the wall over there! It must all be popsicles and movies!

Fix one problem, create 10... The SUAD folks! Love to be a fly on the wall over there! It must all be popsicles and movies!
They have some money and are actively seeking proposals for the Olympic weight room addition. It will be pretty bare bones given they are looking to spend about $1million on it. I believe the money may be the money that came from the Maryland settlement. As to why all the displacement, I beleive it is easier to justify a $1 million expenditure if it positively affects 10 teams than it would be to spend that on a locker facility for one non-revenue team with a coach already perceived to be over paid. I think the next big move, apart from a Dome conversation, would be new track and/or Field Hockey fields. I think a new location and a replacement for Coyne opens that site up for furthering the vision of the Site Master Plan which includes new facilities between Manley and the IPF, to connect the two. There are bathrooms and 2 team rooms. These team rooms are primarily for the use of hte soccer stadium as are the officials locker and shower rooms. Outside of that, it is really as mentioned above; and airport hanger with a football field in it that is also used for soccer and lax.

Ouch. That is unfortunate. Sorry that my source had the wrong location for the locker rooms. He was sure it was in the IPF.

They have some money and are actively seeking proposals for the Olympic weight room addition. It will be pretty bare bones given they are looking to spend about $1million on it. I believe the money may be the money that came from the Maryland settlement. As to why all the displacement, I beleive it is easier to justify a $1 million expenditure if it positively affects 10 teams than it would be to spend that on a locker facility for one non-revenue team with a coach already perceived to be over paid. I think the next big move, apart from a Dome conversation, would be new track and/or Field Hockey fields. I think a new location and a replacement for Coyne opens that site up for furthering the vision of the Site Master Plan which includes new facilities between Manley and the IPF, to connect the two. There are bathrooms and 2 team rooms. These team rooms are primarily for the use of hte soccer stadium as are the officials locker and shower rooms. Outside of that, it is really as mentioned above; and airport hanger with a football field in it that is also used for soccer and lax.

A new outdoor track has been started up at Skytop and should be done by the Fall- no idea if it will have new locker rooms, or just a new practice facility.

I don't knock W. Lax for raising the money to get new digs, but I question which has a bigger impact on performance- a new locker room for one team so they can have a lounge, or a S&C facility shared by numerous teams?

The previous Olympic weight room was fine and if anything only needed equipment updates. With Manley not used for events, does it need all those fire doors? If not, couldn't something have been built on for the w.lax locker room...and I know there is a plan for more academic space and it's been the plan for close to 10 years now.

The IPF is great, but if all of football ops had moved into that area, SU would've had the space for new locker rooms, extra academic and training room space.

A new outdoor track has been started up at Skytop and should be done by the Fall- no idea if it will have new locker rooms, or just a new practice facility.

I don't knock W. Lax for raising the money to get new digs, but I question which has a bigger impact on performance- a new locker room for one team so they can have a lounge, or a S&C facility shared by numerous teams?

The previous Olympic weight room was fine and if anything only needed equipment updates. With Manley not used for events, does it need all those fire doors? If not, couldn't something have been built on for the w.lax locker room...and I know there is a plan for more academic space and it's been the plan for close to 10 years now.

The IPF is great, but if all of football ops had moved into that area, SU would've had the space for new locker rooms, extra academic and training room space.

I agree that the strategic planning for all this seems to be lacking. I think they are running around trying to put out perceived fires as money comes available. They are clearly having some difficulty raising funds through donations. Do you think we would have waited patiently while the AD tried to raise $100 million for a full complex replacement that would smartly free up space for Olympic sports to move into in the existing facility? In our environment that could take years.

I don't think you can close off the egress from Manley, as it typically based on the potential to house crowds of a certain size (based on open square footage, in conjuction with use). I have not done any analysis of the numbers, but I would not be surprised if this was a short term factor. The IPF is designed with egress capacity for over 1,700 people.

I have an easier time with the school spending on a new S&C facility. I would love to see all those teams that will benefit from a new facility put in to build it. WLax clearly came up with the donors and said they needed to act or lose the money. If that's the case, get out of the way if you can and let WLax build their own locker facility. They are on the cusp of a National Championship if not more.

I agree that the strategic planning for all this seems to be lacking. I think they are running around trying to put out perceived fires as money comes available. They are clearly having some difficulty raising funds through donations. Do you think we would have waited patiently while the AD tried to raise $100 million for a full complex replacement that would smartly free up space for Olympic sports to move into in the existing facility? In our environment that could take years.

No. I agree that the IPF was long overdue and couldn't wait. It helps a number of teams in a way that the Manley renovations never did, which leaves that space in a situation where it's not being used effectively. Which is why I would like someone in the SUAD office to come up with a master plan and use it to guide decisions. They have had plans for a long time, but it seems that with each new project those plans are largely ignored.

I just think the running around putting out fires encourages more projects that aren't viable in the long-term, and that it might be easier to raise money for something that is clearly defined and sustainable.

Is there any way some average idiot like myself, can take a tour of either the Melo center, IPF, or Dome?