Class of 2015 - Initial Top 25 Player List for New York State, Class of 2015 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 Initial Top 25 Player List for New York State, Class of 2015

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
As mentioned earlier, this looks like a weak year overall for NYS football prospects. First time in recent memory there are no national level recruits coming out of NYC and the rest of the state doesn't look really strong either.

The only player who is clearly a national recruit right now is TJ Wheatley, who in case you have been living under a rock, is the son of former SU RB coach Tyrone Wheatley. He played HS ball originally at FM HS with Coach Shafer's son Wolfgang. When Ty took the RB coaching job with the Bills, TJ trasferred to Canisius HS, which incidentally is becoming a major power in NYS football, producing D1 prospects regularly.

Anyway, TJ has a bunch of offers, including one from Alabama. Will be a tough get.

The best lineman in the state is probably Malcolm Pridgeon, a massive (6'6 295 pounds) and athletic kid out of Long Island, who already has offers from UConn and Temple. He plays offense and defense at a high level but made 2nd team All Long Island at DL. Has some academic issues but a lot of talent too.

There are a slew of similar sized, similar talent level RBs available. Jordan Gowins and Jordan Fredericks are the best RBs returning on Long Island, Tim Bowers is the best from NYC, and Jonathan Forrest and Anthony Dubose are the best from the Hudson Valley. None look like they have great speed, all look strong, Gowins and Fredericks appear to be able receivers as well. Dubose was offered by the old staff, not sure if that offer is still out there.

The next best OL appear to be Chris Gangarossa, a 6'5 280 pounder from Fort Erie in Canada who like TJ recently transferred into Canisius HS, and John Phillips, the 6'6, 255 pound younger brother of former SU OL Andy Phillips. SU has been involved with him for a long time, but last I knew, that was with the old staff. Not sure the new staff wants him.

The best DBs in the state appear to be Elias Davis, out of Lincoln HS in Brooklyn and Matt Selts of Sayville HS on Long Island. Davis has speed and leaping ability and decent size at 5'11 167 pounds. Selts is 5'10, 165 pounds. Can run well.

The top WRs look to be 6'4 186 pound Stephen Carlson of Jamestown HS, 6'1 170 pound Keisean Scott of Henninger HS in Syracuse and 6'3 190 pound Davonte Hamilton of Poughkeepsie HS. Carlson led his team to a state championship last season and is an excellent student. Scott has good speed and leaping ability. Hamilton has great size but lacks high end speed. Also mysteriously went off the radar last season. Not sure if he was injured, suspended or what but he wasn't named to any all state team and just stopped getting mentioned after September.

The top LBs are 6'3, 220 pound Jasawn Thompson of Deer Park on Long Island and 6'1, 205 pound Brad Zaffram, who, guess what, also transferred into Canisius HS from Sweet Home HS.

The top special teams player in the state looks to be Derek Deoul, a 6'1 180 pound punter/placekicker from the Hudson Valley community of Washingtonville. Averaged 48.6 yards per punt and hit 10 of 11 FGs attempts, including one of 52 yards. Kohl News rates him as a 2nd team AA punter. SU will probably take a kicker in this class and Deoul would appear to be an ideal candidate, as he can punt and placekick.

Lastly, Savon Smith is a little undersized at 6'2 245 pounds but was the best lineman in Section 3 as a junior for Henninger HS last season.

2015 Top NYS Prospects.png

As much as I would like to keep the NYS talent home, the staff will be looking to other states pretty hard again in 2015. Wheatley is a shot-in-the-dark for us and he is the only sure-fire BCS prospect in NY right now. The other kids have potential, but I'd rather the staff continue mining their honey holes. 2016 is going to be a very good year in NYS prospect-wise, so it's important for this staff to continue forging their relationships with HS coaches in this state.

Good stuff, as always, Tom. I've long thought Phillips was the most likely candidate for first commit in the class. He looks the part and between his brother and CBA's history of sending linemen to the Orange it just made sense.

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see how this plays out between the recruiting strategy of HCDM versus HCSS. HCDM was certainly focused on metro NY recruiting (and recruits living within 600 miles of campus) and coaching up kids with good coaching & conditioning. HCSS strategy seems more about getting coaches who have proven recruiting skills outside of the 600 mile radius (hopefully who can coach well too).

It seems HCSS is better at getting coaches who can recruit. I think I'm beginning to see that HCDM wasn't going to be able to make the program any better than an 8-9 win program. I'm hoping HCSS's strategy works both short & long term. If HCSS strategy proves successful and the best NY recruits eventually start coming to SU, HCSS may end up doing what HCDM always wanted to do in the first place.

Hamilton has great size but lacks high end speed. Also mysteriously went off the radar last season. Not sure if he was injured, suspended or what but he wasn't named to any all state team and just stopped getting mentioned.

Excellent write-up per usual, Tomcat. According to this Poughkeepsie team preview from August, Hamilton transferred to a Georgia prep school for his Junior year. It's kind of hidden, but it's in there.

http://www.msgvarsity.com/hudson-valley/poughkeepsie-finally-has-normalcy-in-football-1.1499722

It will be interesting to see how this plays out between the recruiting strategy of HCDM versus HCSS. HCDM was certainly focused on metro NY recruiting (and recruits living within 600 miles of campus) and coaching up kids with good coaching & conditioning. HCSS strategy seems more about getting coaches who have proven recruiting skills outside of the 600 mile radius (hopefully who can coach well too).

It seems HCSS is better at getting coaches who can recruit. I think I'm beginning to see that HCDM wasn't going to be able to make the program any better than an 8-9 win program. I'm hoping HCSS's strategy works both short & long term. If HCSS strategy proves successful and the best NY recruits eventually start coming to SU, HCSS may end up doing what HCDM always wanted to do in the first place.

I am starting to agree with this. Even though HCDM did have a solid core to the 2013 class before he bolted. I guess we will never know.

I am also changing my tune on recruiting NY, and the 600 mile radius. Not saying there isn't talent here because the old staff seemingly dug up unnoticed talent all over the state, but we are now recruiting a different type of athlete. We were far more successful then I initially thought recruiting the areas Shafer targeted. I am willing to bet we don't take 1 NYS kid this season.

Buffalo Canisius has 4 of the top 25 players on your list, including the overall number one.

Excellent write-up per usual, Tomcat. According to this Poughkeepsie team preview from August, Hamilton transferred to a Georgia prep school for his Junior year. It's kind of hidden, but it's in there.

http://www.msgvarsity.com/hudson-valley/poughkeepsie-finally-has-normalcy-in-football-1.1499722
Thanks for that info. From the little film I could find on him, he seemed a step too slow for SU. The new staff appears to have made speed a huge focus for the skilled players, which is likely to reduce our focus on NYS players.

My guess is that most of the NYS states we take in the future will be linemen, where their #hardnose traits will be most useful.

One other thing: there isn't much film available for the top players here and the film that is out there is typically of poor quality and badly produced/edited. A good film production company could make a lot of money and help a lot of kids here....

Difference between NJ and NY high school recruits is like night and day. Has it always been that way for the 2015 class in NJ is real strong.

fwiw saw this this morning. On his Twitter page it says #Technation. could that be Hutch Tech in Buffalo? Or is this a JUCO?

Molly Boy ™ /.\ ‏@_StonerBoii_ 11m
Meeting Syracuse Football Coach Today..Kinda Nervous

Thanks for that info. From the little film I could find on him, he seemed a step too slow for SU. The new staff appears to have made speed a huge focus for the skilled players, which is likely to reduce our focus on NYS players.

My guess is that most of the NYS states we take in the future will be linemen, where their #hardnose traits will be most useful.

One other thing: there isn't much film available for the top players here and the film that is out there is typically of poor quality and badly produced/edited. A good film production company could make a lot of money and help a lot of kids here...
We (fans) see only the slick highlight videos. Do coaches really evaluate based on these? I'm guessing a coach wants to see entire game films, so he can see how the kid really plays the game. And maybe he doesn't really care about the rap beat soundtrack.

Nice twitter handle. Drug references always impress colleges.

Yeah... like it's just the twitter handle with some of these kids. Sometimes just reading their tweets... bad after reading visuals.

Molly Boy ™ /.\ ‏@_StonerBoii_ 1h
Never Knew Syracuse Was So Far

Are juniors even allowed to meet coaches off campus right now?

John Phillips just committed to BC. Maybe the staff had some concerns about him (dont know much about him other than his brother played here and he goes about 6'6 250 . However, it seems that the staff wanted to "lock down NY." if thats the case it means going after some under the radar. So, i dont have enough info on this one, but disappointing that were not keeping local kids.

http://www.bcinterruption.com/2014/...ecruiting-2015-ot-john-phillips-commits-to-BC

Last edited:
Austrian Robinson is a NYS kid that isn't on the list, but Syracuse is involved with.

We were far more successful then I initially thought recruiting the areas Shafer targeted. I am willing to bet we don't take 1 NYS kid this season.
We don't take 1 NYS kid or not 1 NYS kid commits to SU. We've already offered a few so it has to be #2.

apparently we have a 3 star offensive tackle in our own backyard. John Phillips is apparently a 3 star recruit according to skout. Mind boggling

apparently we have a 3 star offensive tackle in our own backyard. John Phillips is apparently a 3 star recruit according to skout. Mind boggling

It would be a shame if we let this kid slip away-- brother (who you know) and sister both played at SU. Sadly, I remember talking to his dad at church a few years ago and he said the kid did not want to play at SU. Hope that mindset has changed.

It would be a shame if we let this kid slip away-- brother (who you know) and sister both played at SU. Sadly, I remember talking to his dad at church a few years ago and he said the kid did not want to play at SU. Hope that mindset has changed.
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure he already committed to BC and our current O-line commits are much better prospects then him.

Did they even offer him? I like our commits better

Phillips didn't get and wouldn't get an offer ... pretty sure he was being sarcastic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom