Interview Questions For Next SU AD | Syracusefan.com

Interview Questions For Next SU AD

OrangePA

Hall of Fame
How would you answer the following?:

Would you have convened the meeting that Dr. Gross convened regarding Fab Melo?

Would you have agreed to petition the professor to allow for a grade change one year following the completion of the class, even if it were permitted under University academic rules?

Would you retain Herman Frazier and Renee Baumgartner?

Would you retain Sue Edson?

What changes, if any, would you make to the Carrier Dome?

What the Athletic Department's most pressing infrastructure needs at this point?

Would you retain the present Athletic Department Compliance Director?

Would you return the name "Orangemen" to the men's teams and "Orangewomen" to the women's teams?

Would you continue with the Oregon-like uniform approach in football?

What must Scott Shafer do in 2015 to retain his job? What kind of extension would you give him?

Will you honor Mike Hopkins' contract to be the next HC?

What sport would you eliminate and what sport would you add?

To what extent should our athletes receive stipends or additional monetary benefits - should we match say, Ohio State dollar for dollar?

OrangePA said:
How would you answer the following?: Would you have convened the meeting that Dr. Gross convened regarding Fab Melo? Would you have agreed to petition the professor to allow for a grade change one year following the completion of the class, even if it were permitted under University academic rules? Would you retain Herman Frazier and Renee Baumgartner? Would you retain Sue Edson? What changes, if any, would you make to the Carrier Dome? What the Athletic Department's most pressing infrastructure needs at this point? Would you retain the present Athletic Department Compliance Director? Would you return the name "Orangemen" to the men's teams and "Orangewomen" to the women's teams? Would you continue with the Oregon-like uniform approach in football? What must Scott Shafer do in 2015 to retain his job? What kind of extension would you give him? Will you honor Mike Hopkins' contract to be the next HC? What sport would you eliminate and what sport would you add? To what extent should our athletes receive stipends or additional monetary benefits - should we match say, Ohio State dollar for dollar?

The answer to the first question should be yes. The results of that meeting should never happen again.

I think the answer to #2 is also a yes. if every student on campus has that same opportunity within academic rules that have been established, then student athletes should have that same opportunity.

JKinPhilly said:
I think the answer to #2 is also a yes. if every student on campus has that same opportunity within academic rules that have been established, then student athletes should have that same opportunity.

Yep. I'd be mad if our coaches and AD didn't present that as an option since it's available to all students.

The thing that got us in trouble was that Fab forgot the citations and someone other than him added them. That's it. Every other step in that process was and is proper.

I think the questions about specific people on his staff are awkward. I wouldn't present them that way. If you're Syverud and there are administrative people you think he should retain or coaches in waiting that you think he should "consider" (not "honor"), you make those recommendations. But for a role like this, the AD ultimately has to have the final say on his staff, and final say on coaches (knowing that a revenue sport would typically involve a search committee).

I think the questions about specific people on his staff are awkward. I wouldn't present them that way. If you're Syverud and there are administrative people you think he should retain or coaches in waiting that you think he should "consider" (not "honor"), you make those recommendations. But for a role like this, the AD ultimately has to have the final say on his staff, and final say on coaches (knowing that a revenue sport would typically involve a search committee).

Assume the questions are asked.

How do you answer them?

It's obvious that Frazier and Baumgartner are done. I don't think Sue Edson is going anywhere unless she wants to (read Rubin's piece on Sunday where he quotes former students who said she provided a lot of mentoring). No sports should be eliminated (what would you pick now). Changes are being made to SU's Compliance in that a new position is being created to run the office. Dome should be renovated and remain. Keep Orange for nicknames, and find money to build a new multi-purpose arena for track, wbb, vb

How would you answer the following?:

Would you have agreed to petition the professor to allow for a grade change one year following the completion of the class, even if it were permitted under University academic rules?

What changes, if any, would you make to the Carrier Dome?

What the Athletic Department's most pressing infrastructure needs at this point?

Would you retain the present Athletic Department Compliance Director?

Would you return the name "Orangemen" to the men's teams and "Orangewomen" to the women's teams?

Would you continue with the Oregon-like uniform approach in football?

What must Scott Shafer do in 2015 to retain his job? What kind of extension would you give him?

Will you honor Mike Hopkins' contract to be the next HC?

What sport would you eliminate and what sport would you add?

To what extent should our athletes receive stipends or additional monetary benefits - should we match say, Ohio State dollar for dollar?
This would be a weird interview! Lots of yes no questions. I probably wouldn't give you a yes or no answer, If the AD's job is to merely do what the interviewer wants, the interviewer should be AD.

I wouldn't go into an interview talking about people i was going to fire.

This would be a weird interview! Lots of yes no questions. I probably wouldn't give you a yes or no answer, If the AD's job is to merely do what the interviewer wants, the interviewer should be AD.

I wouldn't go into an interview talking about people i was going to fire.

Oh come on Millhouse.

I'm not asking for a critique of the questions, I'm looking for your answers to the questions.

Suppose the questions were asked, how would you answer?

I don't think SU should ever drop another sport, just add. The question should be- "How do you plan on getting all athletics programs competitive nationally, and which other sports would you look into adding, that could be competitive nationally?"

I don't think SU should ever drop another sport, just add. The question should be- "How do you plan on getting all athletics programs competitive nationally, and which other sports would you look into adding, that could be competitive nationally?"

Guys, I appreciate all the help in formulating the questions.

That's all fine. Pose some of your questions and answer them - that's great.

What I want to know is how you would answer the questions pose in the post.

Just trying to assess the thoughts of those who spend a lot of time thinking about this stuff.

Guys, I appreciate all the help in formulating the questions.

That's all fine. Pose some of your questions and answer them - that's great.

What I want to know is how you would answer the questions pose in the post.

Just trying to assess the thoughts of those who spend a lot of time thinking about this stuff.

Oh, sorry, I'm not really qualified to be AD...

Assume the questions are asked.

How do you answer them?

Not get too technical, as I'm realizing this is just to generate discussion. But it's hard to answer from an AD perspective as I assume they all have their own ideas and network. So if I were asked if I was going to "honor" the previous AD's coach in waiting commitment, I'd want a lot more details as to what was promised. And if it were phrased that way, I don't think I'd be comfortable walking into that job.

If you're asking me personally, I'm not really in a position to know how effective each of them are. If I were an AD, and had a network of like people, I'd probably have a better answer. But from everything I hear, Sue Edson should probably be the most untouchable.

Oh come on Millhouse.

I'm not asking for a critique of the questions, I'm looking for your answers to the questions.

Suppose the questions were asked, how would you answer?
I have no opinion on Edson, Frazier, Baumgartner
Melo meeting - yes, I would've talked about it
Grade petition - sure why not
Dome changes - i'm fine with the dome
I don't know what the most pressing infrastructure needs are. They got their practice facility. maybe a better weight room? who knows.
I'd go back to Orangemen and women
I'd sh1tcan the stupid uniforms
Shafer needs to get to a bowl this year (He won't)
I don't know anything about hops contract
I don't know what sport i'd eliminate. question begging. why assume we have to eliminate? I probably wouldn't add anything either coming out of the gate.
Stipend is probably out of my control but as long as the stipends are relatively small, I would do everything I could to keep up with Ohio State. I don't think those small stipends are

This is the most important question for the FB program.

Since HCSS has two years left on his K he must either win enough games for an extension or be relieved of his duties. He can not remain the HC after this upcoming season and not either be extended or fired. IMO, anything short of 6 wins and decent looking offense and he is gone. If we get to a bowl I extend him 5 years at 2 million per season and the buyout if he wants to leave or is fired before the end for his contract being 3 million dollars.
That gives both sides protection.

This is the most important question for the FB program.

Since HCSS has two years left on his K he must either win enough games for an extension or be relieved of his duties. He can not remain the HC after this upcoming season and not either be extended or fired. IMO, anything short of 6 wins and decent looking offense and he is gone. If we get to a bowl I extend him 5 years at 2 million per season and the buyout if he wants to leave or is fired before the end for his contract being 3 million dollars.
That gives both sides protection.
I'd like to wager on this. Not asking what you would do - if I read your post correctly, you would fire Shafer if the team does not win 6 games this year and the offense looks incompetent. I'm curious what you think will happen - what W/L total do you think will actually result in his being fired? You pick the number, and I am willing to wager that he won't be fired even if we don't meet that number.

My guess is that worst case we win 2 games this year, and I don't think he gets fired even if that happens. $25 bottle of wine, as long as it can be shipped.

For this type of position the candidates are going to discuss their vision both short-term and long-term for the program and then most answers given will be focused through that lens. It would be pretty unprofessional and awkward to ask questions about existing persons on staff unless the candidate is someone intimate with the situation (like Pete Sala). A question asking what types of persons (attitude, skill sets, experience) would he/she want for individual roles would an acceptable question and one that could be answered candidly.

My answer regarding existing staff:

I would not make any immediate changes unless volunteered (resignations, retirement) and I would have a 60 day evaluation period to review current and past performance and then sit down with each staff member and ask them about the transition. I would determine who I thought had bought in to the new vision, who would be able to perform at the level required and then make decisions in a timely matter that would not negatively impact the day to day operations of the athletic department.

I'd like to wager on this. Not asking what you would do - if I read your post correctly, you would fire Shafer if the team does not win 6 games this year and the offense looks incompetent. I'm curious what you think will happen - what W/L total do you think will actually result in his being fired? You pick the number, and I am willing to wager that he won't be fired even if we don't meet that number.

My guess is that worst case we win 2 games this year, and I don't think he gets fired even if that happens. $25 bottle of wine, as long as it can be shipped.
I would bet 4-8 or worse SS is gonzo. 5-7 he could be back depending on the AD. 6-6 or better he deserves an extension.

I have a question do you think he remains the HC after this year without being extended? Say we go 5-7 how do you keep him as HC without an extension and expect him to be able to recruit. That is why he needs to win and be extended or be gone.

these would not be interview questions.

Because of the NCAA investigation of the outcome of this meeting, this is a pejorative question. I think that an AD (get feelings about Gross out of the conversation) openly convening a meeting to discuss the academic problems of any athlete and what can be done about it is okay. This is called "brainstorming" and is done by successful companies every day. The rub is to ensure that your actions are above board and meet all compliance standards.