Interviews with several coaches have taken place | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Interviews with several coaches have taken place

UCF is the 2nd largest college in the country, has a lot of money, and is very serious about getting competitive in Florida college football. I have no doubt that they will end up with a good coaching prospect, possibly Babers as mentioned.

UCF is the 2nd largest college in the country, has a lot of money, and is very serious about getting competitive in Florida college football. I have no doubt that they will end up with a good coaching prospect, possibly Babers as mentioned.

" getting competitive". They beat Baylor in the fiesta bowl 2 years ago. No AD a coach that wanted to retire along with an assistant who didn't get the HC job that thought he would get it, it was a storm, there is talent there and they will pay good $$

I think most of the posters enamored with "young Turks" with not enough experience are forgetting the job description of a head coach. Simply put, a head coach is someone that is basically an administrator. I sometimes think of Tommy Prothro, who would arrive at a UCLA game wearing a suit and carrying a brief case as an example of clothing fitting the position.

A head coach requires leadership skills, organizational skills, evaluative skills, and a demonstrated ability to put together the essential parts of a football program. These are the chief functions. Arguably, the most important decisions a head coach makes is choosing an offensive coordinator, a defensive coordinator, and if appropriate, an associate head coach. You guys are really talking about hiring an offensive coordinator for a head coach position who is not adequately prepared and learns on the fly. Some guys can do that but I think they are the exception and not the rule. There's no substitute for experience and we need an experienced head coach who will likely stay for a while. Coach Mac comes to mind as an excellent prototype. Of those mentioned, Ed Orgeron stands out. He has past warts that can cloud your perceptions of him, but keep in mind that many learn from their mistakes.
The 3 most important skills for a Cuse Coach are RECRUITING, RECRUITING AND RECRUITING. Bite your pride, we need a good salesman. Forget about character, we need a slick monomaniac salesman like Calipari or Trump. Coordinators can be hired. Our primary problem is not bad coaching. Our opponents are bigger and faster and unless that changes nothing else will. Without a talent upgrade, we are just rearranging chairs on the deck of the Titanic.

Warner is 56 years old and has never been a head coach. He has only been a coordinator for 2 years and even now he is one of two offensive coordinators.

Old, long removed from SU, took 30 years to move above position coach and even now doesn't hold a coordinator title on his own. This hire would suck big time.

You can coach college football at 56 years old. And Frost hasn't been a head coach either.

Art Briles inherited the Air Raid from Mike Leach. I guess that means he's no good.

Actually Leach inherited the Air Raid from Hal Mumme. So they're both no good, apparently.

I haven't said Frost is "no good". Talk about a straw man.

You can coach college football at 56 years old. And Frost hasn't been a head coach either.
Except Frost is a hot commodity at 40 years old and Warner was never a candidate at all. There is probably a reason someone coaches for almost 35 years and is never considered head coaching material. Like I said, he went 30 years before becoming a co-coordinator. On the flip side, there is probably a good reason a 40 year old (which is probably young to get consideration for a head coaching job) is on a lot of team's radar.

The 3 most important skills for a Cuse Coach are RECRUITING, RECRUITING AND RECRUITING. Bite your pride, we need a good salesman. Forget about character, we need a slick monomaniac salesman like Calipari or Trump. Coordinators can be hired. Our primary problem is not bad coaching. Our opponents are bigger and faster and unless that changes nothing else will. Without a talent upgrade, we are just rearranging chairs on the deck of the Titanic.

I couldn't disagree more with this. We need a coach that recruits to the systems he likes to run, develops the talent and coaches kids up. That will be the biggest question mark with Frost, can he coach em up? babers has proven he can, his Bowling Green teams have played bigger programs and hung in there. Nobody is perfect but that will be the biggest question mark. I think old time Syracuse fans like Ed O because he is known as a recruiter, they also want Northeast ties because we use to do well in recruiting there 25 years ago, not really as important anymore because football stinks in the Northeast and we are also in the ACC and also the northeast is over recruited. It's like fishing in waters 12 months a year when there is only a 4 month season.

We need to move forward, think forwardly and plan for the future instead of looking back all the time.

Coaching pedigree is one thing but at the end of the day can you coach 3 star talent to a top 25-30 program because that is what the Syracuse coach will need to do to keep people happy and to move to a bigger program

Leave the meatheads with hairy knuckles and ears to position coaches we need to think far more progressively than that for a HC. I am happy with Frost or Babers, I think Frost is a big gamble in many ways but I like that.

I couldn't disagree more with this. We need a coach that recruits to the systems he likes to run, develops the talent and coaches kids up. That will be the biggest question mark with Frost, can he coach em up? babers has proven he can, his Bowling Green teams have played bigger programs and hung in there. Nobody is perfect but that will be the biggest question mark. I think old time Syracuse fans like Ed O because he is known as a recruiter, they also want Northeast ties because we use to do well in recruiting there 25 years ago, not really as important anymore because football stinks in the Northeast and we are also in the ACC and also the northeast is over recruited. It's like fishing in waters 12 months a year when there is only a 4 month season.

We need to move forward, think forwardly and plan for the future instead of looking back all the time.

Coaching pedigree is one thing but at the end of the day can you coach 3 star talent to a top 25-30 program because that is what the Syracuse coach will need to do to keep people happy and to move to a bigger program

Leave the meatheads with hairy knuckles and ears to position coaches we need to think far more progressively than that for a HC. I am happy with Frost or Babers, I think Frost is a big gamble in many ways but I like that.
hairy ears

If Riley tanks next year at Nebraska, Frost will be one and done here, even at 5-7 or 6-6. I am sure there will be a huge buyout figure but that won't stop anyone.

If we hire Frost, people better become Husker fans because it's not a question of if but when, I am fine with it but it may be pretty damn quick if Riley cant get 7 or 8 next year. They will eventually fire Riley because they 9 wins wont keep people happy there.

guys who still have basic cable still think that the 5 hour radius makes all the difference - how will parents see their kids play if they can't make a quick day trip to the game?

IthacaBarrel said:
If Riley tanks next year at Nebraska Frost will be one and done here, even at 5-7 or 6-6. I am sure there will be a huge buyout figure but that won't stop anyone. If we hire Frost, people better become Husker fans
if we live like that then so be it. The days of lifer coaches are over, say frost takes us to a 6 and a 7 win season. Sign me up for that we have suffered too long. We need to make bowl games feel good for a change.

guys who still have basic cable still think that the 5 hour radius makes all the difference - how will parents see their kids play if they can't make a quick day trip to the game?

Yeah, like my dad and stepfather, spent too much time this past week with guys in their late 60's early 70's telling me what is best for Syracuse football. Good lord, they act as if Coach Mac was two days ago and the Sugar Bowl was two seasons ago. shaking me head would be an understatement. Good lord, the fan base is so GD old here because we have sucked for so long.

GAME HAS CHANGED

if we live like that then so be it. The days of lifer coaches are over, say frost takes us to a 6 and a 7 win season. Sign me up for that we have suffered too long. We need to make bowl games feel good for a change.

5 wins would probably do it, I am not talking lifetime coaches, I am talking one and done. 3-4 years is fine

1 season is 1 big waste of time. Nothing good can come from having a 1 season loaner.

You severely undervaluing how much it actually does mean. And it has nothing to do with being able to watch on tv.

it matters less than it used to

It matters to old guys and meatheads who still think that football is important in the Northeast. You need one guy to cover PA, one guy to cover NJ and that is the only think you need in the Northeast. everything else is meaningless and again it's up to the HC to determine where they want to recruit, not where old fans or HS coaches think they should. It's internet and Syracuse folklore. I didn't realize all these bluehairs who want Ed O that he had such strong ties to the Northeast, well that's different!!!!!

it matters less than it used to
Not really, an 18 yr old moving away from home is still an 18 yr old moving away from home.

Most parents make every effort to attend every game they can, a lot of them strapping themselves financially in the process. If you don't think Ma wanting a kid 2 hrs from home instead of 20 makes a difference, you're wrong.

Just because there's 40 games on tv on Saturday doesn't mean jack.

Not really, an 18 yr old moving away from home is still an 18 yr old moving away from home.

Most parents make every effort to attend every game they can, a lot of them strapping themselves financially in the process. If you don't think Ma wanting a kid 2 hrs from home instead of 20 makes a difference, you're wrong.

Just because there's 40 games on tv on Saturday doesn't mean jack.

Depends on the kid. " well that is the way coach mac did it, so it should be done that way!!!"

get kids who fit your profile no matter where they are from, when we joined the ACC everything changed.

Depends on the kid. " well that is the way coach mac did it, so it should be done that way!!!"

get kids who fit your profile no matter where they are from, when we joined the ACC everything changed.
He's not saying " well that is the way coach mac did it, so it should be done that way!!!" At all. He is saying that it matters. To all? Probably not. To some? Yes, it does.

It's got nothing to do with Coach Mac, Meatheads or NE Football. Nothing at all. There's no doubt that recruiting is more national than ever due to the transfer of information and ease of travel. Doesn't mean that radius and the importance of how close to home is lessened one bit. Just because we can recruit kids from Texas doesn't mean we'll do it well.

Parents want their kids close to home, and that's never going to change. Yeah, it puts us at a disadvantage because we're not in Florida, Texas, or DMV.

It's got nothing to do with Coach Mac, Meatheads or NE Football. Nothing at all. There's no doubt that recruiting is more national than ever due to the transfer of information and ease of travel. Doesn't mean that radius and the importance of how close to home is lessened one bit. Just because we can recruit kids from Texas doesn't mean we'll do it well.

It better because if you are looking to build a winner from predominately Northeast kids it won't happen. Best athletes aren't really playing football anymore in the Northeast. Times have changed. The waters are overfished and meatheads cant figure that out. We will also never beat out the factory schools for NE recruits. Sure we will grab a few kids like we always do, which is fine but for success we need to start doing things differently. Northeast means nothing