Is Bill Simmons 15 minutes of fame almost up. | Syracusefan.com

Is Bill Simmons 15 minutes of fame almost up.

ESPN NBA Draft team does a better job covering this draft than the ESPN NFL draft team does covering the NFL draft.

It's a DRAFT...not a game. Nobody knows if any of these guys will be good or stink. I have no problem with Simmons being there keeping it light. Because its just a DRAFT!

As long as John Walsh and John Skipper are in charge of ESPN then Bill Simmons is fine and won't lose any influence. Even though Simmons is more douche than when he was just a writer.

Es
ESPN NBA Draft team does a better job covering this draft than the ESPN NFL draft team does covering the NFL draft.

It's a DRAFT...not a game. Nobody knows if any of these guys will be good or stink. I have no problem with Simmons being there keeping it light. Because its just a DRAFT!
ESPN's NFL draft coverage is a joke because of Boomer Berman being a hack and Jon Gruden slurping every QB like he did Manziel.

I actual like Simmons. Seems like a real guy and had a lot of knowledge.

Simmons is almost as bad as Shaq on Inside the NBA, just horrible to listen to

i think simmons is entertaining, and he knows enough about the nba especially historically to be interesting. are you telling me that bilas and rose are ace evaluators? who cares it is all for fun and simmons is fun to watch.

Simmons is a disgrace. He isn't funny and has absolutely ZERO knowledge of NCAAB. He's basing anything he says off of "Bilas' Best Available." Jalen Rose can take a hike too... How is the NBA coverage better than NFL? McShay and Kiper actually KNOW about the players.

Get our boy Dan "Double D" Dakic on the coverage lmao... at least he's entertaining and watches college ball. Plus we'd probably get a, "Jim Boeheim is the coolest guy in college basketball" comment.

Love Simmons. Not sure he belongs on the draft show, but in general I think he's very entertaining.

I think a lot of the hate of Simmons comes from the fact that he went from a guy who largely wrote funny columns from a fan's perspective on all sports, to a guy who does almost exclusively NBA stuff. I'm not sure he's great on TV but I have a lot of respect for a guy who is easily the most influential sports writer in a long, long time. The only guy I can remember who innovated (and yes, there have been better pure writers) the way simmons has, IMO, was Peter Gammons, who was really the first that I can ever recall dipping into topics like contract considerations, prospects, drafts, etc.

Anyway, point is, Simmons is fine. The fact that people here are looking for hard data during a draft is pretty funny.

McShay and Kiper actually KNOW about the players.

Umm, really? I mean, I don't doubt they work hard and talk to a ton of executives and pour over the numbers, but are you really suggesting that somehow those two really actually know what these players are going to do the next five years? That's insane.

Cuse_NYC said:
Simmons is a disgrace. He isn't funny and has absolutely ZERO knowledge of NCAAB. He's basing anything he says off of "Bilas' Best Available." Jalen Rose can take a hike too... How is the NBA coverage better than NFL? McShay and Kiper actually KNOW about the players.

Clearly don't read or follow Simmons at all. Wrote the definitive guide on the NBA and knows what he's talking about. Jalen puts too much stock into Mich players - but is fun otherwise.

I'll take Bill Simmons over Jay Williams any day...well except for a pickup game

Umm, really? I mean, I don't doubt they work hard and talk to a ton of executives and pour over the numbers, but are you really suggesting that somehow those two really actually know what these players are going to do the next five years? That's insane.
No, nobody knows what's going to happen in 5 yrs. They know players as far as how they did in college. Simmons wouldn't know Jerami Grant if he walked up to him and shook his hand.

Clearly don't read or follow Simmons at all. Wrote the definitive guide on the NBA and knows what he's talking about. Jalen puts too much stock into Mich players - but is fun otherwise.
Explain how he knows the NBA draft? Him and Jalen should be dropped through a hole in the ground.

No, nobody knows what's going to happen in 5 yrs. They know players as far as how they did in college. Simmons wouldn't know Jerami Grant if he walked up to him and shook his hand.

Fair enough. I just think guys like McShea and Kiper are absolute snake-oil salesmen. I really don't think they add anything. So I guess I simply object to the idea that simmons adds less. Personal preference I suppose.

Fair enough. I just think guys like McShea and Kiper are absolute snake-oil salesmen. I really don't think they add anything. So I guess I simply object to the idea that simmons adds less. Personal preference I suppose.
McShay and Kiper study this for months. Simmons clearly, as sort of admitted, tries to watch some youtube videos the night before.

In ESPN's defense, though, I mean, this is TV programming. Part of this is being entertaining. You obviously don't find them entertaining but I suppose many do. Regardless, acting like you get any real information out of a draft -- as an aside, I especially like the fans who boo or cheer a pick -- is completely disingenuous. Not even the guys doing the drafting know who's going to be good.

Explain how he knows the NBA draft? Him and Jalen should be dropped through a hole in the ground.

Because it's the NBA draft, not the NCAA draft. Simmons knows the NBA. I'm a big NBA fan and I want to know how each pick impacts the NBA teams. NCAA is crap basketball compared to the NBA. Focusing on the college component is a waste of time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom