Is it the horse or the jockey? | Syracusefan.com

Is it the horse or the jockey?

Some horses have ability, but are difficult to ride and take a while to learn the game. Some give it their all but seem destined to find a way to lose, despite the best efforts of their riders and trainers. Regardless, all involved should be appreciated because racing is a difficult sport and winning is elusive.

Last edited:
Actually its the lack of horses. But with the lack of leadership on the floor this team really needs strong leadership from the bench. Imo Hop was a little too hands off and let them play.

Actually its the lack of horses. But with the lack of leadership on the floor this team really needs strong leadership from the bench. Imo Hop was a little too hands off and let them play.
When the suspension first started unexpectedly I posted something to the effect that it will be a good opportunity for all of the coaches to step up and not just Hop. This could benefit all of their careers. Obviously it's hard to judge from watching some games on TV or from sitting in the upper deck but I'm curious if anyone who has seats right near the bench saw the members of the coaching staff in a more productive manner than it appeared to be. Like you said it appeared that Hop was a little too hands off but I thought that of Red and Gmac as well. I personally thought those guys would really embrace this opportunity but like I said, it was hard to tell.

Once the ball goes up players decide the game in almost all cases. Our horses are just not as good as the horses they are running against...and that falls on the coaching staff.

When the suspension first started unexpectedly I posted something to the effect that it will be a good opportunity for all of the coaches to step up and not just Hop. This could benefit all of their careers. Obviously it's hard to judge from watching some games on TV or from sitting in the upper deck but I'm curious if anyone who has seats right near the bench saw the members of the coaching staff in a more productive manner than it appeared to be. Like you said it appeared that Hop was a little too hands off but I thought that of Red and Gmac as well. I personally thought those guys would really embrace this opportunity but like I said, it was hard to tell.

From my couch, as a late time out huddle was breaking up, as the guys were cutting the deficit back to about 5, it was Red who was raising his voice and in the face of players. I was happy to see that, they had been going through the motions all game until then. GMac took Lydon aside out of that huddle and offered him some counsel, but it was clearly Red lighting the fire. They played well the rest of the way, well enough anyways, until that last sequence. As has been said, neither G nor TC seem to command the rest of the team with a "give me the ball and I will make a play for us" mentality, so when a team lacks that on court leadership, it needs to come from the bench. And Hop is just not there yet, understandably.

From the one game I had prime seating for last season, I could tell that the unquestioned leader of the team was Rakeem Christmas. The game I sat courtside for I also saw Trevor Cooney show flashes of being a leader, but nothing overly impressive. The rest of the team was just "there." In many cases leaders are born and even ones who develop into leaders don't overnight.

Dare I say a gelding?

Ba dum ching

Ha, Hall of Fame Jock versus Bug Boy. Mike Smith versus Eric Cancel. In addition, we had a bunch of stake/ allowance horses and now we have mid level claimers and a few horses that should be taken off the track for a new career in show jumping. It's always both for both sports but TALENT always wins out IMO, especially on the track. We also have one horse who was thought to have stake potential/ derby type horse that is now a cheap claimer. He should be running at Finger Lakes for a 5 k tag and we thought he would win the Travers..

I could do this ALL DAY..

From my couch, as a late time out huddle was breaking up, as the guys were cutting the deficit back to about 5, it was Red who was raising his voice and in the face of players. I was happy to see that, they had been going through the motions all game until then. GMac took Lydon aside out of that huddle and offered him some counsel, but it was clearly Red lighting the fire. They played well the rest of the way, well enough anyways, until that last sequence. As has been said, neither G nor TC seem to command the rest of the team with a "give me the ball and I will make a play for us" mentality, so when a team lacks that on court leadership, it needs to come from the bench. And Hop is just not there yet, understandably.

If G doesnt step up and become the "give me the ball and I will make a play for us" guy, I think Mal does. Mal has all the tools to be that guy but hes a freshman on a team with two 5th year senior leaders.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom