Is it Time for a Change? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Is it Time for a Change?

arguably the #1 seed by most experts. a team we've previously beaten.sorry but i'm not cool with the loss.

GoSU96 said:
Last year was a bad beat, this year wasn't.

Have to think this was a better team, though, don't you think?

arguably the #1 seed by most experts. a team we've previously beaten.sorry but i'm not cool with the loss.
Didn't the winner of the regular season matchup lose 5 of the 6 rematches in the tournament so far? There is so much parity. Hop went from needing to win the B1G to being a favorite in the semis.

the real #1 seed. no final four . chew on it. tastes bitter to me. and ultimately desko has to answer for it.

Have to think this was a better team, though, don't you think?

Do you mean than last year or in relation to Hopkins?

I thought it was a toss up going in, and Hopkins was essentially playing a home game.

When we played them in the dome it was really close and turned on a couple of plays.

the real #1 seed. no final four . chew on it. tastes bitter to me. and ultimately desko has to answer for it.

How does he need to answer? Resign, give back his pay check?

his job is to win lacrosse games (more specifically titles). if he can't cut the mustard... interview and move on.
now he was handed a golden goose. a team that never missed memorial day. times have changed. perhaps.
but this squad should definitely have been playing next weekend. loss is yet another let down. i'm pissed.

Last edited:
GoSU96 said:
Do you mean than last year or in relation to Hopkins? I thought it was a toss up going in, and Hopkins was essentially playing a home game. When we played them in the dome it was really close and turned on a couple of plays.

Can't disagree there. I was afraid of the matchup. Probably got a bad draw.

But I thought this team had more of a Final 4 look than last year's team.

I guess we can call it parity, but we used to find a way to win these games.

his job is to win lacrosse games (more specifically titles). if he can't cut the mustard... interview and move on.
now he was handed a golden goose. a team that never missed memorial day. times have changed. perhaps.
but this squad should definitely have been playing next weekend. loss is yet another let down. i'm pissed.
No perhaps about it.

That being said, we should have been playing next weekend.

I guess either Pietramala or Tierney will be interviewing for jobs after next weekend. Maybe even both of them? ;)

Coaches have done a great job this year, you can see from every game we have played this year they have prepared the team very well, they have a vast knowledge and experience! we lost 3 games to very good teams and won the ACC conference tournament.

A one goal loss yesterday is not down to the coaching staff, they made some very experienced adjustments in game yesterday to get us back into it, however this loss was down to the players. Hop had two goals from SSDM mistakes, one from Messina and one from Grimm who have been great all year! the Def didnt have its best game and if Lecky could have stuck one of his 5 shots it would have been different, not to mention the two min non-releasable penalty we should have had!

Its always a snap judgement to say we need a change but this coaching staff is one of the best, if not the best! im proud of what they do for the program every year! no one has better experience!
I'm going to push back at you a bit Woody. As I said elsewhere, if a sales manager was asking a sales person why they haven't sold much in 5 years, the answer "I won salesman of the year 5 years ago" isn't going to cut it. Granted, being the head coach of a D1 LAX team is not the same as being a sales person. But, you get the idea. It's been a long time.

They made adjustments? What adjustments? The team played furiously, got a few breaks and made it closer than anyone could have expected.

The defense did not have its best game. They didn't really have too many good games against top talent. Part of the problem is the SSDMs you mentioned. My view is that they consistently made mistakes. I question the idea of taking offensive guys who couldn't measure up and turning them into SSDMs. That, is not working.

FO? How many years did Desko go with no clue how to find a good FO guy? And then, Williams fell into his lap.

There's a reason I thought this was a toss up game.

Hopkins has been playing at a very high level the second half of the year.
I thought Hopkins was playing like a top 5 team going into the tournament. Their offense is legit

I'm going to push back at you a bit Woody. As I said elsewhere, if a sales manager was asking a sales person why they haven't sold much in 5 years, the answer "I won salesman of the year 5 years ago" isn't going to cut it. Granted, being the head coach of a D1 LAX team is not the same as being a sales person. But, you get the idea. It's been a long time.

They made adjustments? What adjustments? The team played furiously, got a few breaks and made it closer than anyone could have expected.

The defense did not have its best game. They didn't really have too many good games against top talent. Part of the problem is the SSDMs you mentioned. My view is that they consistently made mistakes. I question the idea of taking offensive guys who couldn't measure up and turning them into SSDMs. That, is not working.

FO? How many years did Desko go with no clue how to find a good FO guy? And then, Williams fell into his lap.

I think it depends what the salesman is selling and who are his competitors! everyone can look at the bottom line but whats the story behind it?

I watched the game again last night and I cant believe people haven't kicked up a fuss about the officiating, I know this leads to sour grapes, however there where some very dubious calls some leading to goals! I think Desko was very diplomatic in his post game interviews. We had numerous moving picks that led to goals, Stanwick dived into the crease and his arms hit inside the crease. We had the no call when Gallasso got hit which was a definite penalty and Young got taken down late in the game. We hit 4 pipes and Schneider made the difference early and often, once again we started slow. Slides where slow and hesitant.

I am still bitter about the game myself and was still amazed when watching last night that it was 16-12 with over a min to go and the game ended 16-15, amazing heart but they let themselves down also by not having more urgency during the game. As a coach I couldn't fault the adjustments that Desko made and it came down to execution, if we didnt have the shots or opportunities to win the game then id be really worried. Sometimes you just get beat! he is a coach that makes adjustments straight away - adjustments like the two poles on the wing at the face off, two shorties at face-off so Hop couldnt take out there personnel, taking McDermott out when he got beaten early, ran 3 middie lines to keep people fresh, slipping into zone. did you not notice? ask Petro if Deskos adjustments didnt work as he looked like he was close to exploding when we made a come back.

I think this was the best chance of winning a championship since Galloway's last season when we got beat by Army in the first round. I am as disappointed as anyone, but when you win 2 out of 3 trophies it can be the smallest of things.

I dont care what anyone says Desko and his staff are the best in the business!

jr4750 said:
I feel like they've beat Northwestern their fair share lately, the exception being in the Championship a few years back. I could be wrong though. Those two teams definitely stand out though in terms of the squads he's struggled with. Now with that said, they also have won something like 8/9 out of the last 10 championships, so...

They've won 16 of the last 20, combined. Maryland women have dominated everyone the last 2-3 seasons and most games haven't been close. Criticizing him for struggling against those teams isn't really fair. That said, it's time to start picking off a won here and there, starting Friday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom