Is Lavin getting the boot at STJ? | Syracusefan.com

Is Lavin getting the boot at STJ?

Madbiker

2019-20 Iggy Co-Winner Reg Season Rcd
According to an article on Zagsblog the admin is having a second meeting about his future. Seems some powerful alums/boosters want a change. Could Mark Jackson be a possibility? STJ legend. Successful player and NBA HC. Seems like a no-brainer if he was interested.

Interesting, Jackson is a must hire if he wants the job but what exactly is ST. John's expecting out of their bball? Its not like Lavin has bombed there although certainly they could have done better under him.

Lavin being on shaky ground is also at least a partial answer to another recent mystery for me.

Last edited:
The problem at St. John's is that nearly their entire rotation is comprised of seniors who will be departing [and Obekpa who is reportedly bailing, who is a junior].

I agree with the post above that this isn't 1985. Yeah, they had a pretty decent season this year, but they'll lose all the key players** and take a step [if not multiple steps] backwards next year. Then they'll rebuild for four years, and finally have a year at the end where they are NCAA caliber again. That's the cycle they're on.

**I like Rysheed Jordan a lot, and he's only a sophomore, but he'd be the only returning principal out of their top 7.

Yes, I'm sure mark jackson will save the day. Where is tristy? He was on his knees for Lavin and we all told him not to fall in love with the guy.

Ive never been a big Lavin fan, lets be fair, anyone on this board could recruit to Ucla, never been a fan of his in game coaching. I don't think he gets fired, because the bar at St Johns is so low these days, but two tournament appearances in five years, one with Norm Roberts players, isn't very impressive.

The problem at St. John's is that nearly their entire rotation is comprised of seniors who will be departing [and Obekpa who is reportedly bailing, who is a junior].

I agree with the post above that this isn't 1985. Yeah, they had a pretty decent season this year, but they'll lose all the key players** and take a step [if not multiple steps] backwards next year. Then they'll rebuild for four years, and finally have a year at the end where they are NCAA caliber again. That's the cycle they're on.

**I like Rysheed Jordan a lot, and he's only a sophomore, but he'd be the only returning principal out of their top 7.
"The cycle they're on"--rebuild for four years, and finally have a year. . .where they are in the tourney--sounds like a, at most, mid-major.

Last edited:
Ive never been a big Lavin fan, lets be fair, anyone on this board could recruit to Ucla, never been a fan of his in game coaching. I don't think he gets fired, because the bar at St Johns is so low these days, but two tournament appearances in five years, one with Norm Roberts players, isn't very impressive.

But what makes that program a draw in 2015? Sure they play games in MSG, BUT you can do that at any number of programs.

What did he make, five or six Sweet 16's in a row at UCLA? And then he got fired for one bad year.

At St. John's, yes, he did do well with Norm Roberts' kids, but don't forget that Norm Roberts couldn't win with them, or else he would have kept his job. I think you have to give Lavin a mulligan for getting cancer a few years ago and essentially missing a season. That disrupted everything. And then he had to deal with transfers and ineligible players. He's not getting the cream of the metro NYC recruits; he's getting the borderline kids. I think he has done well. St. John's used to be a joke. Now, at least they are competitive. I think if he has a few years without more roster and health issues, he will build a very good Big East contender.

The best NYC recruits no longer stay in NYC..they go prep. Unless you want the Whiteheads of the world. In which case, have fun with that.

Lavin is a fine coach and person, what a mistake to get ride of him. I would extend his contract five years. I do remember when he brought in all those freshman and thinking that kind of recruiting can force extreme peaks and Vally's for a program. But look what SU is doing next year with 4 and maybe 5 possible freshman.

Lavin is a fine coach and person, what a mistake to get ride of him. I would extend his contract five years. I do remember when he brought in all those freshman and thinking that kind of recruiting can force extreme peaks and Vally's for a program. But look what SU is doing next year with 4 and maybe 5 possible freshman.
Under the current rules, the top programs can bring in large classes because many of those recruits will move on in a year or two (hello, Kentucky).

What did he make, five or six Sweet 16's in a row at UCLA? And then he got fired for one bad year.

At St. John's, yes, he did do well with Norm Roberts' kids, but don't forget that Norm Roberts couldn't win with them, or else he would have kept his job. I think you have to give Lavin a mulligan for getting cancer a few years ago and essentially missing a season. That disrupted everything. And then he had to deal with transfers and ineligible players. He's not getting the cream of the metro NYC recruits; he's getting the borderline kids. I think he has done well. St. John's used to be a joke. Now, at least they are competitive. I think if he has a few years without more roster and health issues, he will build a very good Big East contender.

He did get to some sweet 16's at Ucla, but lets be fair, winning at Ucla isn' that hard. Ben Howland got to three straight final fours and they showed him the door.

No question the cancer thing gets him some leeway, but I look at St Johns the past couple of years, and they should have been a lot better. Two years ago they should have been an Ncaa tournament team, and this year they should have been better than a 9 seed.

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein 1m1 minute ago
BREAKING --- St. John's has parted ways with Steve Lavin, the school announced. Story coming.

Wow.

I mean...is there something more to this? St. John's may not be a Final Four caliber program anymore, but aren't they better than when he got there?

Goodman has D. Hurley as the frontrunner.

Chris Mullin is apparently interested in coaching St. John's.

That would certainly be interesting.

The mess at St Johns continues. Who is the AD there? Seems like a real poorly administered athletic dept the past couple of decades.

It's funny. STJ beats SU. STJ goes to the tournament and SU stays home. SU gets rung up by the NCAA. SU's coach gets three more years and STJ's coach gets fired.