Is the Fear Factor gone? | Syracusefan.com

Is the Fear Factor gone?

Cuse'91

All American
We used to win games just because of the Syracuse on the front of the jersey. The VaTechs, BCs, and Seton Halls of the world would be resigned to defeat before we even stepped on the court. I don't think anyone is scared of us anymore, and haven't been for awhile now...

Let's break out the blue uniforms - see if that scares anyone!

10590726-large.jpg

I remember people saying this about UNC about 15 years ago. How the mystique wasn't there, teams weren't afraid of them. In reality, they were starting Adam Boone and Brian Morrison. They just weren't that good.

The last guys that we put in the league that did anything are MCW, Waiters, and Grant. We were really good when they were here. We gotta get the players.

We used to win games just because of the Syracuse on the front of the jersey. The VaTechs, BCs, and Seton Halls of the world would be resigned to defeat before we even stepped on the court. I don't think anyone is scared of us anymore, and haven't been for awhile now...
We haven't been intimidating for quite a few years so I think this question is belated.

The last guys that we put in the league that did anything are MCW, Waiters, and Grant. We were really good when they were here. We gotta get the players.
Looking into the crystal ball, this is exactly why many of us are pessimistic about the next few years. Need a major Orr-to-Weaver type of shakeup.

Looking into the crystal ball, this is exactly why many of us are pessimistic about the next few years. Need a major Orr-to-Weaver type of shakeup.

We will see. I do think Battle may be that level of player.

We will see. I do think Battle may be that level of player.
Battle and TT are very nice players to build around for next year but we literally have nothing else.

I remember people saying this about UNC about 15 years ago. How the mystique wasn't there, teams weren't afraid of them. In reality, they were starting Adam Boone and Brian Morrison. They just weren't that good.

That's scary, cuz none of those 3 have had memorable careers.

Lydon might return. Too early to tell what his options will be.

Not making the tourney may be the best thing for this program. A little reality check might help.

Lydon might return. Too early to tell what his options will be.

That would be nice, but if he's projected in the first round, he's probably gone. The health issues he's having will just speed up the process.

I don't believe this to be true. They lost to us because we were much better and put a beating on them. This is like people who say it's tough playing in Cameron. It's not the atmosphere that's tough it's the fact the home team has 4 NBA guys on the floor and they get every call.

If NBA players were the only reason you won Duke wouldn't be struggling and have 4 losses and Villanova would have more than 1. Our biggest issue is ineffective PG play when we lose, just the the Blue Devils. Every team that is consistently good is getting great college guard play.

I think you're exaggerating this idea of a Fear Factor. In some games, the opponent knows they are a long shot, like the early, local OOC teams. But even they are not afraid, because if they can keep the game close and even pull out a win, it would make their season to beat Cuse in the Dome in Nov/Dec. But about the teams you mention, having been watching since the 80s, I can tell you that guys like Michael Adams of BC, or Chris Mullin of SJU never once feared the jersey, as they torched the Cuse for several wins in their little on campus gyms that were used for games back then. Seton Hall has had plenty of success against us too, so I don't think you should mistake an opponent being overmatched with fear.

Buzz Williams certainly fears no man! nyuk, nyuk.

aa181a601065aee12c9605cc2bbf51d4.jpg

Ask Colgate that question.

I promise Syracuse has exactly zero wins because of "fear factor." Come on. Plus you are talking about conference opponents. If there is any team that is so scared of a conference opponent that they can't function and have no chance to win, that team isn't in the ACC. This entire premise is silly. The quality of the teams and how they play on a given day determines who wins and who loses. Nothing else.

This isn't Cuse91 anymore. College basketball has evolved in the last 25 years. More parity due to players leaving early at the big schools and players staying four years at the mid schools. Even UK is down once in a while. We've had way too many players leave too early and with the sanctions it has caught up with us. Nothing to do with Fear Factor. More to do with addition and subtraction.

I think Fear Factor is a bit of a myth. Most of these kids know each other from the hoop circuit and all these kids think they can hang with anyone. I think kids are savvy and don't fear players - they may know they will have to overcome refs and reps , but kids at this level - I think most don't have the Fear Factor.

Maybe it is a different environment, but I recall us having crazy lopsided records against lesser BigEast opponents. So dominant against Seton Hall, BC, Pitt; I just think lots of times these teams went into the game without any confidence of winning... Sure even these teams had bouts of competitiveness, ala Shaheen Holloway years at Seton Hall, or Danya Abrams years at BC, but for the most part, we owned at lot of teams by just being Syracuse...

Maybe it is a different environment, but I recall us having crazy lopsided records against lesser BigEast opponents. So dominant against Seton Hall, BC, Pitt; I just think lots of times these teams went into the game without any confidence of winning... Sure even these teams had bouts of competitiveness, ala Shaheen Holloway years at Seton Hall, or Danya Abrams years at BC, but for the most part, we owned at lot of teams by just being Syracuse...

Pitt? We haven't dominated them since the last millennium.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom