Is there a list | Syracusefan.com

Is there a list

stuckinbig11

All American
of those who declared early entry and did not get drafted? It would be interesting to compare it to a list if "never-heard-ofs" from Europe and elsewhere that were indeed drafted.

I wonder how many of those guys forfeited their eligibility expecting to get drafted vs. how many forfeited their eligibility because they have had enough of college and are intending to go play professionally (wherever that may be), not really expecting that they are going to land with an NBA team out of the gate?

That would be interesting information for me, but not sure if you would get to a truly honest answer from guys.

I wonder how many of those guys forfeited their eligibility expecting to get drafted vs. how many forfeited their eligibility because they have had enough of college and are intending to go play professionally (wherever that may be), not really expecting that they are going to land with an NBA team out of the gate?

That would be interesting information for me, but not sure if you would get to a truly honest answer from guys.
If that's the case, that's sad. A bunch of those guys were juniors. If you're not getting drafted in the NBA you're not getting the big instant payday. Stick it out one more year, get your free degree, and have your fallback plan.

So many things could be said about the article. It was nice to see that 58 kids decided to return to school, seeing that their dream was not about to be fulfilled. I was wondering why more of the kids that didn't get drafted either didn't get the honest evaluation that they weren't getting drafted or chose to ignore it. Sufandu wanted to know why the juniors didn't stick it out one more year. I actually think that as a junior, taking a chance on big money isn't so bad a going back for a years worth of credits is easier than goinbg back for 2 or 3. Maybe worth the gamble. All of this points back to the NCAA for making it so difficult for kids to return to schools. Why should sigining with an agent become such a life altering event? They allow kids to transfer for for "graduate" degrees with little questions asked. How many of those transfers even complete that advanced degree? Does not getting the degree hurt the schools rating? Why can't a kid make up his missed course work over the summer and maintain his eligiblity after sigining with an agent.

Wayne Selden not being drafted shocked me. A lot of those other names, not so much.

With the talent that wasn't taken and the guys in the second round that aren't going to get a real shot the past few years, a legit affiliated minor league system I believe could really thrive.

The issue if that happens is, you may see guys jumping from high school to the minor leagues or many more college guys leaving early which could really drain the NCAA game.

That list just goes to show how legit of a talent you have to be to make it. I feel bad for a lot of the guys as they really are good players.

With the talent that wasn't taken and the guys in the second round that aren't going to get a real shot the past few years, a legit affiliated minor league system I believe could really thrive.

The issue if that happens is, you may see guys jumping from high school to the minor leagues or many more college guys leaving early which could really drain the NCAA game.

That list just goes to show how legit of a talent you have to be to make it. I feel bad for a lot of the guys as they really are good players.
It really is so much harder to make a roster than most people realize. The number of spots that open up each year are few.

Chew on this for a second -- in the entire history of the NBA and ABA, a total of only 4,372 players have appeared in a game.

Wayne Selden not being drafted shocked me. A lot of those other names, not so much.

He was highly regarded when he came in with Andrew Wiggins but Deano is right. I see a lot of KU games here in KC and even in his junior year this past season, he was very inconsistent. But I did expect him to get in the second round.

He was highly regarded when he came in with Andrew Wiggins but Deano is right. I see a lot of KU games here in KC and even in his junior year this past season, he was very inconsistent. But I did expect him to get in the second round.

He has a prototypical NBA body with his size and strength, and when he's on, he's NBA level talent. But you're right, he was not consistent in his time at KU.

Yes, and I found myself wondering how many knew they weren't going to graduate "on time" and said to themselves, "Okay, now's the time."

I can not see that the NBA will ever have a "legit affiliated minore league system". The dynamics of an NBA team/game is so much different from the MLB or NHL, that it wouldn't pay to have one. A quick look at the two teams in the finals show that on a 16 & 17 man roster, only 11 or 12 guys play more than 10 minutes a game (out of 48), with 4 or 5 playing 30 or more. The bottom 5 guys on the roster played less than 10 with them very seldom getting starts. First of all, the system works as they have it so why pay 5 more guys a salary to be ready to play just a few games/minutes a season? If the NBA reduced the day to day roster size to say 10, then the bottom 5 or 6 guys listed would be the ones in the minors anyways. MLB has countless number of call ups from their AAA teams with ususally the guys playing more than the NBA counter parts. With games 6 out 7 days a week, they have to have 25 healthy guys ready all the time. Can't say the same for the NBA. I don't know for sure about the NHL, but I do know that the Rochester team's roster is in constant flux, so I assume that Buffalo has a lot of call ups too. So I just can't see finically or practially why the NBA would want a minor league.

I can not see that the NBA will ever have a "legit affiliated minore league system". The dynamics of an NBA team/game is so much different from the MLB or NHL, that it wouldn't pay to have one. A quick look at the two teams in the finals show that on a 16 & 17 man roster, only 11 or 12 guys play more than 10 minutes a game (out of 48), with 4 or 5 playing 30 or more. The bottom 5 guys on the roster played less than 10 with them very seldom getting starts. First of all, the system works as they have it so why pay 5 more guys a salary to be ready to play just a few games/minutes a season? If the NBA reduced the day to day roster size to say 10, then the bottom 5 or 6 guys listed would be the ones in the minors anyways. MLB has countless number of call ups from their AAA teams with ususally the guys playing more than the NBA counter parts. With games 6 out 7 days a week, they have to have 25 healthy guys ready all the time. Can't say the same for the NBA. I don't know for sure about the NHL, but I do know that the Rochester team's roster is in constant flux, so I assume that Buffalo has a lot of call ups too. So I just can't see finically or practially why the NBA would want a minor league.

I never said they would want want. All I'm saying is that the NBA minor league would have some sick talent and the level of play would be head above shoulders better than college basketball.

A true minor league system will never happen because the major league will never want to fund it.

Minor League baseball players are paid below the poverty. They make about 2100 dollars a month and get a 25 dollar a day stipend on the road. They get signing bonuses when they sign but if they don't do well with that they make no money till they make the major league. MLB teams are swimming in cash making 8 billion dollars a year and they won't throw another 2 million dollars per team to up the salaries for minor leaguers.

Minor league baseball actually attracts attendance during the summer season and they don't pay. The NBA won't pay for a minor league system that w0uld incentivize kids not to go to college.

Let the kids go back to school regardless of agent.

And those who aren't chosen until the 2nd round should be given the option of either going back to school or continuing with their professional careers.

I would go a step further and do like the NHL - allow draftees to return to college while teams retain their rights.

This was another installment of "If OrangeNirvana ruled the world."

If that's the case, that's sad. A bunch of those guys were juniors. If you're not getting drafted in the NBA you're not getting the big instant payday. Stick it out one more year, get your free degree, and have your fallback plan.
Of course, you also have to ask, "How many of these kids were in programs which provided a degree which could be considered a 'fallback plan'? Not all degree programs are created equal, and this is especially true of scholarship athletes. Not to be too cynical, but there are coaches out there that are more concerned with maintaining eligibility than seeing a kid get a meaningful degree.

Of course, you also have to ask, "How many of these kids were in programs which provided a degree which could be considered a 'fallback plan'? Not all degree programs are created equal, and this is especially true of scholarship athletes. Not to be too cynical, but there are coaches out there that are more concerned with maintaining eligibility than seeing a kid get a meaningful degree.
True, but the kid does have a say in it. A coach can pressure a guy, but he can't prevent him from choosing his major. You don't want to piss off the players you want to keep, especially in this era of players jumping so quickly.

A true minor league system will never happen because the major league will never want to fund it.

Minor League baseball players are paid below the poverty. They make about 2100 dollars a month and get a 25 dollar a day stipend on the road. They get signing bonuses when they sign but if they don't do well with that they make no money till they make the major league. MLB teams are swimming in cash making 8 billion dollars a year and they won't throw another 2 million dollars per team to up the salaries for minor leaguers.

Minor league baseball actually attracts attendance during the summer season and they don't pay. The NBA won't pay for a minor league system that w0uld incentivize kids not to go to college.

According to this 2100/month is not poverty line for one person

2015 Poverty Guidelines

True, but the kid does have a say in it. A coach can pressure a guy, but he can't prevent him from choosing his major. You don't want to piss off the players you want to keep, especially in this era of players jumping so quickly.
FYI, about twenty-five years ago, UVa signed a fullback from Philadelphia named Charles Way. Supposedly, Way had wanted to attend Syracuse but the football staff there objected to him enrolling in the School of Engineering (or, whatever you call it at Syracuse). George Welsh told him he could major in anything he chose (at the time, linebacker Tom Burns was in nuclear engineering, and an Academic All American). Way went on to play for the Giants, and establish his own civil engineering company in New York.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom