is there any chance whatsoever that mccollough comes back | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

is there any chance whatsoever that mccollough comes back

I doubt Xmas (or any body ) could have thought he was 1 and done While a McD's AA, he didn't even avg double figure ppg his sr year. Made it strictly on defensive play at on summer camp. Don't remember any talk of him not coming back after 2013 season Not Xmas.
Most of it was just wishcasting that he'd make a huge jump (like his Jr to Sr. year) based on his athleticism. Didn't pan out but imagine this was a sophomore Rak, a early departure to the NBA wouldn't have been unreasonable.

I too doubt that he will come back. However, if he wants to be an early pick in the draft, he needs to show that he can take over a game, and that will take some time.

If we get Bryant, our post game will be just fine between him, Diagne, and Lydon. Lots of size and skill in that group. Just a matter of whether they're physically and mentally ready (Bryant and Diagne are definitely physically ready, Lydon is the question mark, but I hope he is because the kid can shoot and become a true stretch 4).

Excellent players...but they will still need time to adapt to the college game.
You don't lose two frontcourt players like Rak and Mac (who seems a certain first rounder) without feeling it (Kentucky notwithstanding).
The upside is that Joseph should be able to provide a lot more stability and game control with a year under his belt.
At least he'd better be able to do so or...

Meanwhile, I have a feeling that Lydon is going to be the big surprise of next year's class...and I mean that in a positive way.

McCullough was gone from the second he stepped on campus, and from what I've heard, hasn't been quiet about announcing it to others as well.

If it makes you feel better, pretend Cmac is a fifth year senior. A fifth year senior who could never find the weight room.

I realize CMac is gone after this year, but nothing about his game right now says NBA. Tall and athletic? Sure, but nothing he does here will mean a thing unless this team really turns it around. He'll have a career similar to Ennis...1 tournament win against some mid major. Nothing to celebrate or even remember 5 years from now. Call me bitter, but I call it realistic. If this team remains as shaky as it has been, then who cares if he even plays the rest of the season. What does it matter that he even came here? Much like Donte, I barely consider him Orange.

Now I realize when we recruit we have high hopes for every team and we get the best players we can, but I see Syracuse in the worst situation possible. We don't get the one and done guys who are top 5 picks. Instead we get the 1 and done guys who are later lottery/20's picks. This means they are not quite good enough to carry your team in the tournament as freshmen and they are gone.

I doubt Xmas (or any body ) could have thought he was 1 and done While a McD's AA, he didn't even avg double figure ppg his sr year. Made it strictly on defensive play at on summer camp. Don't remember any talk of him not coming back after 2013 season Not Xmas.

Why does everyone say that?

What did he average his senior year of HS?

His Junior year?

What about Embiid his Senior year of HS? Or Okafor?

I realize CMac is gone after this year, but nothing about his game right now says NBA. Tall and athletic? Sure, but nothing he does here will mean a thing unless this team really turns it around. He'll have a career similar to Ennis...1 tournament win against some mid major. Nothing to celebrate or even remember 5 years from now. Call me bitter, but I call it realistic. If this team remains as shaky as it has been, then who cares if he even plays the rest of the season. What does it matter that he even came here? Much like Donte, I barely consider him Orange.

Now I realize when we recruit we have high hopes for every team and we get the best players we can, but I see Syracuse in the worst situation possible. We don't get the one and done guys who are top 5 picks. Instead we get the 1 and done guys who are later lottery/20's picks. This means they are not quite good enough to carry your team in the tournament as freshmen and they are gone.
Really? Man, everything about his game screams NBA to me.

i don't think I've ever seen JB coach like this before, he doesn't seem too interested in this year
First off, I like your image of Rick Grimes from The Walking Dead. Love that show.

I think McC leaves, but he does need improvement in certain areas, as do all the one or two-and-dones that leave. I think JB is as interested as ever, but probably a bit frustrated.

If SU wants to compete in the ACC with Duke, UNC, Louisville, UVA we must recruit and get our share of top 25 ranked kids. Otherwise SU will become a middle of the pack team. And we need to stop crying about these high level kids leaving early and using it as an excuse for declining performance. ALL the high level elite programs deal with this...not just UK. Arizona loses kids every year and Miller keeps them humming along in the top 10. We have to make some changes to our recruiting. We need to recruit on top of kids assuming the high level guys will leave after a year. That means bringing in top guys at the same position in consecutive years. JB doesn't like to do that. If the kid returns we'll deal with it. Maybe JB then has to lengthen his rotation and not just play 6-7 guys. The days of these high level kids staying 2- 3 years is over. We need to adjust. And the answer isn't to just recruit lower level kids because they will stay.

Absolutely...in regards to not going after lower level kids. SU has, for a long time now, gone after top tier recruits, and will continue to do so. However, that being said, we typically don't land the one and dones, at least not historically. I'm not sure how much that is by design or just coming up short. Fact is, we are a system program, and JB isn't going to adjust anything, he's mighty stubborn in that regard. Just like he won't play any mtm and more than 6-7 guys. It appears to have bitten him this year, but it's his comfort zone...and has been for years. I'd love to see him adjust, but the likely reality is...he isn't changing a thing. The 'ol cant teach an old dog new tricks kind of thing. I think we'll have to wait til Hop for that...not sure how many guys UVA is losing to the NBA...a lot of their guys are back too. Same with 'Nova...both top 10 teams.

Am I the only one that when these kids leave early have zero interest in whether they succeed or not? Can't fault these kids for taking the money, but for most, it's a dumbass decision that ultimately leaves them with no education, an empty bank account, and little hope. Maybe one day kids will realize that they should be thinking about the long run rather than immediate gratification. The success stories are more rare than not.

That, and I'm a fan of Syracuse University. If they want to eschew the university and leave early after a mediocre one-and-done season, then forget 'em.

Am I the only one that when these kids leave early have zero interest in whether they succeed or not? Can't fault these kids for taking the money, but for most, it's a dumbass decision that ultimately leaves them with no education, an empty bank account, and little hope. Maybe one day kids will realize that they should be thinking about the long run rather than immediate gratification. The success stories are more rare than not.

That, and I'm a fan of Syracuse University. If they want to eschew the university and leave early after a mediocre one-and-done season, then forget 'em.

"an empty bank account"

Do you have data behind this?

GoHamSU said:
"an empty bank account" Do you have data behind this?

I was going to comment in that as well, but also want to respond to yours.

These guys are making good good money out of college whether they go to Europe or actually make the NBA. Even Fab Melo cleared a couple of million bucks.

The thing is yes Ham, the stats show that a majority of NBA players are broke within 5 years of their career ending.

But, the thing is, they have no education but they already made plenty if money to set aside money for an education, no excuse they can't go back to school, nor go the route that others do and take student loans out.

I'm sure many people wouldn't mind being given a few mil (or much much more) head start to delay the start or continue their college education.

• 6-10
  • Athletic
  • Good frame to add muscle
  • Above average skillset for his size
  • Ability to stretch the floor
  • Despite lack of strength, still an active rebounder
Yeah, McCullough? He gone.

Gone. Infinitely more gone than Ennis or Grant were at this time last year. I imagine his Mock Draft slot will be top 8 as a basement by the end of the year.

All of these kids who are good enough to go to a big name program think they are going to the NBA. Some think they are going earlier then others.

Just like Grant last year, McCollough hasn't been shy with telling people he will be gone after this season. It's not a Syracuse problem, it's just the way things are now a days. It has ruined college basketball..

I was going to comment in that as well, but also want to respond to yours.

These guys are making good good money out of college whether they go to Europe or actually make the NBA. Even Fab Melo cleared a couple of million bucks.

The thing is yes Ham, the stats show that a majority of NBA players are broke within 5 years of their career ending.

But, the thing is, they have no education but they already made plenty if money to set aside money for an education, no excuse they can't go back to school, nor go the route that others do and take student loans out.

I'm sure many people wouldn't mind being given a few mil (or much much more) head start to delay the start or continue their college education.
But the thing is they end up without any in a short 5 year time period. You can't go back with zero money and zero incentive. So no matter what you are I would do with a few mil, what they do is what counts. They squander both the money and the opportunity for a FREE education. I would have loved to send my 3 kids to school for free. It would have saved me a nice start to a few mil.

he may return next year so he can tell his kids that he played in the NCAAT. ouch!

There is always a chance, but when it comes to Syracuse players coming back or leaving, they always leave.

Absolutely...in regards to not going after lower level kids. SU has, for a long time now, gone after top tier recruits, and will continue to do so. However, that being said, we typically don't land the one and dones, at least not historically. I'm not sure how much that is by design or just coming up short. Fact is, we are a system program, and JB isn't going to adjust anything, he's mighty stubborn in that regard. Just like he won't play any mtm and more than 6-7 guys. It appears to have bitten him this year, but it's his comfort zone...and has been for years. I'd love to see him adjust, but the likely reality is...he isn't changing a thing. The 'ol cant teach an old dog new tricks kind of thing. I think we'll have to wait til Hop for that...not sure how many guys UVA is losing to the NBA...a lot of their guys are back too. Same with 'Nova...both top 10 teams.
Why do you say JB is not adjusting? JB has been trying to enter the top tier, which means getting the top HS players. This is not a system gimmick. It is going toe to toe with the big boys. It means recruiting pretty much 24/7 because of high turnover rates. This wasn't the way it was 10 years ago, SU hardly lost anyone after a year. Lately we've been getting a higher level recruit, and the fact that a lot of them weren't one and done was more lack of opportunity than it was talent.

What exactly are you pining for out of Hop? How quickly people forget when MCW was a frosh, playing close to 10 mpg as the 9th man. And you do realize that SU has had a much better run than UVA or 'Nova, so I don't get the point there.

It's not easy to stock up on really good players. JB has had quite a run. It is hurting SU this year. But make no mistake JB wanted Rasheed Jordan here, just didn't get him. But JB's gamble to get to the championship level makes a year like this a little more of a possibility.

He is gone and will be drafted in the 5-10 range. I think 5 is the highest he can get if everyone comes out that is projected and I don't think he drops below 10. It would be great for the program if he turns out to be a star in the league.

The one reason I think McCullough needs another year, and this does tie in to strength, is the fact that he absolutely cannot power through contact. I've never seen a 6-10, athletic as hell kid get stripped on the way up as often as Chris does. This is against, for the most part, mediocre competition. How the hell does he expect to ever get a shot off against NBA bodies?
I agree .. and it won't matter. Strength and size will take care of that .. and the NBA scouts know he'll have both in a couple years regardless.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom