Is there any truth in the Orange drop... | Syracusefan.com

Is there any truth in the Orange drop...

Dave85

Living Legend
"Of the four Syracuse recruits, Richardson is rated the highest. He is ranked 15th in ESPN's index. Diagne came in at No. 44. That's a curious drop, especially for a player who, by all accounts, has tremendous upside. In ESPN's previous rankings, Diagne was at No. 29."

http://www.chatsports.com/syracuse-...balls-2015-class-tops-ESPN-rankings-0-9922451

This has always been my suspicion but my evidence is purely anecdotal. I wonder if the actual data shows some kind of bias positive or negative for certain schools.

That is interesting. I would argue that it just goes to show that most high school prospect rankings are educated guesses.

Either way, I'm really excited for Diagne to wear orange. I think he's going to exceed expectations, and the lower ranking just means he'll exceed them by more.

There may be an Orange drop but someone also mentioned that players who are committed early tend to drop (unless they are already consensus top 5 guys) because the services want to create buzz around the uncommitted guys. That made sense to me but it also does seem like our commits can usually expect to fall 15 spots over the course of their senior campaigns.

There may be an Orange drop but someone also mentioned that players who are committed early tend to drop (unless they are already consensus top 5 guys) because the services want to create buzz around the uncommitted guys. That made sense to me but it also does seem like our commits can usually expect to fall 15 spots over the course of their senior campaigns.

We should be able to lookup what CM and KJ were ranked the day they announced versus their final ranking. I'm too busy today to look but maybe at some point.

like Ennis last year was rated 20 something yet he comes in and is rated a top 5 frosh all year. I can live with the lower rankings as long as our players continue to surpass those rankings with their play on the court.

We should be able to lookup what CM and KJ were ranked the day they announced versus their final ranking. I'm too busy today to look but maybe at some point.

CM def dropped a bit

Is this a recent trend? Wasn't Melo ranked somewhere in the 20's when he committed but ended up #1? Jonny Flynn went from a no name to MAA. Didn't Waiters go up too?

Joseph's ranking got better, McCullough's got worse after committing.

sufandu said:
Is this a recent trend? Wasn't Melo ranked somewhere in the 20's when he committed but ended up #1? Jonny Flynn went from a no name to MAA. Didn't Waiters go up too?

Melo was in the 40's at one time and I think he had climbed into the 20's when he committed. He ended up #1 or #2 depending upon which site you looked at.

Thanks. The difference was still probably negative. Just saying.

AWMKY said:

McCullough's play was very erratic. Several reports questioned his motor. Not surprised he dropped.

McCullough's play was very erratic. Several reports questioned his motor. Not surprised he dropped.
Plus it was during the time when he changed schools for reasons that went unexplained.

realorange said:
Plus it was during the time when he changed schools for reasons that went unexplained.

That too.

One does wonder about the across the board drop in SU verbals. Possibly just a coincidence but it is hard to agree with. However, there actually is a track record that may be in the minds of some of these pundits (if they actually think that much). Unfortunately, SU's recent 5 star freshmen have performed very poorly overall. Rak, Coleman, Melo were complete disappointments as freshmen and Dion wasn't far behind. Of course, Melo and Dion went on to great soph seasons, but maybe the perception is made in their first season. One of the many good things about Ennis is that he broke this string of poor performances.

"Of the four Syracuse recruits, Richardson is rated the highest. He is ranked 15th in ESPN's index. Diagne came in at No. 44. That's a curious drop, especially for a player who, by all accounts, has tremendous upside. In ESPN's previous rankings, Diagne was at No. 29."

http://www.chatsports.com/syracuse-...balls-2015-class-tops-ESPN-rankings-0-9922451

This has always been my suspicion but my evidence is purely anecdotal. I wonder if the actual data shows some kind of bias positive or negative for certain schools.

Here's an article from June 29th:

http://orangefizz.net/2014/07/jim-boeheim-calls-su-basketballs-2015-recruiting-class-the-best-ever/

And here's now:

http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/Syracuse

It's looks like everyone went up. That's the problem with superstition you may turn out to be just wrong. I'm sure the rankings are purely subjective with a little support coming from each player's personal statistics.

I sure hope they get Bryant in the spring. What I like about the 2015 season is we are going to have lots of experience on the team.

sufandu said:

Throw in Fab Melo and MCW as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom