Is this a fair criticism of JB? | Syracusefan.com

Is this a fair criticism of JB?

It is what it is but if I was a stud recruit I might start to wonder if I want to play for this dude when he keeps ripping into his own players about going pro.

*For the record, I think JB has his players best interests at heart but if a player wants to go pro, he shouldn't have to worry about his own coach tearing down his draft stock.

because JB doesnt care about getting paid much more.

College coaches dictate how much they are worth. Nick Saban pretends to flirt with Texas, pay raise. When Harbaugh is hired - Saban's agent will plant a story about an NFL job opening, pay raise.

JB is happy. He is a syracusian, syracusian. He is content. Its a good quality to have and its a bad quality to have at the same time. But it is JB.

I don't think so, if a player is ready to go, JB acknowledges that, i.e. Carmelo. I don't think he's ripping his own players as much as he is ripping the people and the mock drafts. I think it's the truth that McCullough is not ready and neither was Grant or Tyler Ennis. They would make more if they had stayed at least one more year.

JB plays the old school "bad cop" coach when it comes to handling his players. He mentioned it as much in his book. If a player wants a "hugger"as a head coach, Syracuse isn't the place for them. That being said we have the most optimistic "good cop" assistant coach in Mike Hopkins. JB has been the same for 40 years, when is the last time we lost a recruit because of what he said in a press conference?

Also, since when did the media hurt a players draft stock?

The media is not the place to discuss the draft prospects of players until they declare because all it does is add fuel to the discussion. I think it's wrong of JB to attack Ford in this case, and unfair for him to relate it to McCullough's play. He can say he's not happy with how he's playing without bringing up the lottery. Ford's entire job at ESPN is to talk with NBA folks to get their opinions- he's not sitting in a Starbucks pulling this from thin air.

By the way, Self did the same thing and sounded just as bad, so this isn't just a Boeheim thing.

The media is not the place to discuss the draft prospects of players until they declare because all it does is add fuel to the discussion. I think it's wrong of JB to attack Ford in this case, and unfair for him to relate it to McCullough's play. He can say he's not happy with how he's playing without bringing up the lottery. Ford's entire job at ESPN is to talk with NBA folks to get their opinions- he's not sitting in a Starbucks pulling this from thin air.

By the way, Self did the same thing and sounded just as bad, so this isn't just a Boeheim thing.

The only people it upsets is the media, and some of the fans. And yeah hes trying to piss McCullough off, because if CMAC's pissed, hes going to want to show his coach that hes better than what he's shown.

The only people it upsets is the media, and some of the fans. And yeah hes trying to piss McCullough off, because if CMAC's pissed, hes going to want to show his coach that hes better than what he's shown.

Personally I don't think a college coach needs to disparage a player in the media. I know it's what Boeheim does, but I don't agree with the tactic, for him or anyone else.

Hasn't worked yet. There are ways to motivate players without going to a presser and making sarcastic comments about your own players.

He trashed G a bunch in New York. How's that working now?
I don't know. I would assume that whatever JB is telling G in practice is beginning to sink in. I sincerely doubt that what JB said about G in pressers at MSG has anything really to do with it.

Honest Question.

RE: Coach criticism on Chris McCullough, or whoever he "rips" in Post Game Press Conferences.

You think the players. Honestly Care, or know what he says.

I highly doubt when they get back after the game, they are going to the nearest computer "What did coach say about me in the press conference ?"

JB plays the old school "bad cop" coach when it comes to handling his players. He mentioned it as much in his book. If a player wants a "hugger"as a head coach, Syracuse isn't the place for them. That being said we have the most optimistic "good cop" assistant coach in Mike Hopkins. JB has been the same for 40 years, when is the last time we lost a recruit because of what he said in a press conference?

Also, since when did the media hurt a players draft stock?
The media now is WAY different than it was 10, even 5 years ago. You didn't have some blogger from SB Nation writing an article that lots of people will see.

My opinion he simply wants CM to play better. Its classic JB in public but behind the scenes he is all for his players to play up to their potential. He normally yells at you if he thinks you can play better than how you are playing at the time. If he doesn't yell at you to play better, be worried.

Now to balance, he does publicly praise players when they play better and up to where he thinks they should be playing at win or lose.

He's sometimes too smart and honest for his own good but after 39 years he doesn't care what non basketball people think of him. Other coaches like him and he respects them (beside any coach coaching in the state of Kentucky lol).

Honest Question.

RE: Coach criticism on Chris McCullough, or whoever he "rips" in Post Game Press Conferences.

You think the players. Honestly Care, or know what he says.

I highly doubt when they get back after the game, they are going to the nearest computer "What did coach say about me in the press conference ?"

One way or another, I'm sure McCullough and Roberson will hear about this. Even if they don't seek out the information, other people in Syracuse will and they'll bring it up with them.

I love how fast something can become an "annual tradition" these days. How is it even possible to "rip" a freshman's draft chances in December. The fact that anyone has that opinion speaks to the problem with the system.

What makes you think any NBA draft consultants would tell Ford anything much less the truth? Those guys like to keep things on the down low as much as possible, doubt very much any of them speak to him with anything but baloney.

It's a fine line for any coach. At the end of every college basketball season several coaches at a handful of programs sit down and have a similar conversation with one or more of their best players. All any coach can do is give his honest assessment. To suggest that JB tries to prevent his players from choosing to go to the NBA draft is silly. If that were the case annually, then JB must be entirely lacking in persuasiveness and failing miserably, no? Meanwhile, JB continues to recruit at a very high level which is very persuasive.

I think JB and many other coaches often have a much better understanding of what is best for the player from a basketball standpoint. JB has decades of experience coaching players who dream of NBA experience and money. But when it comes time for a kid to decide I doubt that any coach including JB can stop a kid from choosing the NBA if that kid truly believes he's ready. The potential money is too great. And I doubt that JB and probably the vast majority of coaches in that position do anything other than give their honest assessment. If JB has been annoyed with some of the decisions I find that entirely understandable, but that in no way means that he is trying to hold back his players. And what does his salary ranking have to do with this issue? Nada, which is one more great reason to ignore this piece.

JB is letting the media and the fans know what he is telling his player about that player's game. It's December. JB wants his player to improve. He's telling his player that he has a lot of work to do get better. If JB were doing anything less it would be coaching malpractice. At the end of the season the player and coach will evaluate, and the player will decide his future. I hope JB and all coaches give their honest assessments at the end of the season.

I don't think so, if a player is ready to go, JB acknowledges that, i.e. Carmelo. I don't think he's ripping his own players as much as he is ripping the people and the mock drafts. I think it's the truth that McCullough is not ready and neither was Grant or Tyler Ennis. They would make more if they had stayed at least one more year.

Grant and Ennis would probably not earn more if they waited. They left when their potential was high.. .as others have pointed out many times. I dont like it when JB criticizes the draft potential of players but that doesn't mean he's wrong. McCullough will go or stay based on his stock according to those who advise him. We know where JB stands there. Who is going to turn down a shot at a million or two if its in reach? Very few. Grant was borderline for first round and he hopped right in.

If scouts or general managers ask JB about a player, do you think he is going to BS them? His comments to the press should light a fire under the named player.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom