Ishmael, Undercover PR | Syracusefan.com

Ishmael, Undercover PR

W'boro'Cuse315

All American
Haven't had time to skim the board so sorry if this has been discussed.

On CCSU's 1st punt, we sent Steve Ishmael out as the return man wearing a nameless #97 jersey that was too short for him to even tuck into his pants. He received the punt, got leveled, & immediately sprinted to the sideline where 2 assistants were waiting to quickly pull the jersey off over his shoulder pads, revealing that he was wearing his normal #8 jersey underneath. He joined the offense on the field & caught a pass on the very 1st play of the drive.

Just a bizarre, clearly pre-meditated sequence. First, I'm surprised that this maneuver is legal, though I doubt they'd do it if it wasn't & it obviously wasn't flagged. Secondly, why is Ish returning punts? He went back on the next punt as well before giving way to Riley. It's almost like the coaches just wanted to get the ball in his hands early & have some fun doing it.

On CCSU's 1st punt, we sent Steve Ishmael out as the return man wearing a nameless #97 jersey that was too short for him to even tuck into his pants. He received the punt, got leveled, & immediately sprinted to the sideline where 2 assistants were waiting to quickly pull the jersey off over his shoulder pads, revealing that he was wearing his normal #8 jersey underneath. He joined the offense on the field & caught a pass on the very 1st play of the drive.

Just a bizarre, clearly pre-meditated sequence. First, I'm surprised that this maneuver is legal, though I doubt they'd do it if it wasn't & it obviously wasn't flagged. Secondly, why is Ish returning punts? He went back on the next punt as well before giving way to Riley. It's almost like the coaches just wanted to get the ball in his hands early & have some fun doing it.
It's because Cordy was on the field who also wears #8. My guess is that Ishmael is on the hands team for punts.

It's because Cordy was on the field who also wears #8. My guess is that Ishmael is on the hands team for punts.
Ah, makes sense, though that punt seemed like a return situation as he caught it around his own 45. I've just never seen that before, a pre-meditated jersey switch. He got lit up as well.

I'm always interested in these lesser-known football nuances. I guess I've seen lineman switch to receiver-eligible #s mid game. Does there have to be a double # situation for a team to do this? Can Dungey just wear a different # each play? It seems so Harbaugh-y but kudos to Dino & staff for thinking outside the box.

Correct on the Cordy thing. But Ish was the actual punt returner. He was also the next punt with his #8 jersey. He didn't have to put another jersey over it because cordy had just gotten hurt and wasn't on the field.

I was unsure of what was going on slso. Makes sense now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom