It ain't all doom and gloom | Syracusefan.com

It ain't all doom and gloom

T

tee1222

Article from zag
https://www.sny.tv/college-recruiti...achi-richardson-and-next-years-team/179024638

Some great comments from coach. Positive vibrations, mon!

"There's no question. In one sense I'm sure there are some players thinking, 'Well, we're going to get a lot more shots now next year [that Richardson is gone],'" Boeheim said. "And that would be true. We think our freshmen can come in and help us. We think Tyler Lydon is ready for a big role. We think that Frank Howard is ready for a big role in the backcourt. We picked up a great fifth-year transfer [Gillon] who averaged 14 points a game in college. We think he's going to be ready to help us. We got a 7-2 guy coming into the middle that we didn't have this year. We've got Tyler Roberson who averaged eight rebounds a game and who we think is a tremendous player, so we're in good position."

"It's like Malachi," Boeheim said. "Malachi came in and averaged 14 points a game and was a huge factor...I think Tyus Battle, he's rated in the same area in terms of ability. He's not quite as good a shotoer, but he's a tremendous athlete. So we think Tyus Battle can come in and make a huge difference here particularly given our strong our front line should be with Tyler Roberson, Tyler Lydon,Dajuan Coleman and Paschal Chukwu, so we really like our team."

"We're probably in much better position heading into this year than we were last year and last year turned out pretty good,"

Plenty of other goodies from coach, so have at it!
:)

Article from zag
https://www.sny.tv/college-recruiti...achi-richardson-and-next-years-team/179024638

"There's no question. In one sense I'm sure there are some players thinking, 'Well, we're going to get a lot more shots now next year [that Richardson is gone],'" Boeheim said. "And that would be true. We think our freshmen can come in and help us. We think Tyler Lydon is ready for a big role. We think that Frank Howard is ready for a big role in the backcourt. We picked up a great fifth-year transfer [Gillon] who averaged 14 points a game in college. We think he's going to be ready to help us. We got a 7-2 guy coming into the middle that we didn't have this year. We've got Tyler Roberson who averaged eight rebounds a game and who we think is a tremendous player, so we're in good position."

"It's like Malachi," Boeheim said. "Malachi came in and averaged 14 points a game and was a huge factor...I think Tyus Battle, he's rated in the same area in terms of ability. He's not quite as good a shotoer, but he's a tremendous athlete. So we think Tyus Battle can come in and make a huge difference here particularly given our strong our front line should be with Tyler Roberson, Tyler Lydon,Dajuan Coleman and Paschal Chukwu, so we really like our team."

"We're probably in much better position heading into this year than we were last year and last year turned out pretty good,"

Going into 2016-17 I like this team a whole lot more than going into the 2015-16 season. Yeah, there are a lot of unknowns without having some senior guards. But we have a lot of known knowns with the players we have. Battle is going to be good. Gillon is a proven quantity. I would really like to see us get Thompson so we can be a little more aggressive on defense. But again, although not perfect and known, I like this team a lot more going into this year than last year.

Going into 2016-17 I like this team a whole lot more than going into the 2015-16 season. Yeah, there are a lot of unknowns without having some senior guards. But we have a lot of known knowns with the players we have. Battle is going to be good. Gillon is a proven quantity. I would really like to see us get Thompson so we can be a little more aggressive on defense. But again, although not perfect and known, I like this team a lot more going into this year than last year.
Thompson is dead to me. Besides, as it drags out, he's not as prepared as the guys who are already on the hill and want to play for SU.

Thompson is dead to me. Besides, as it drags out, he's not as prepared as the guys who are already on the hill and want to play for SU.

Wow, that's some strong language! Is there something I'm not aware of that makes him dead to you other than he did not commit this week?

This is more the tone JB needs to strike with the early exits. He probably needs to be even more supportive in public. It must be so easy to recruit against him claiming that he will try to hold you back and will talk smack about you if you declare and try to hurt your draft stock. All that is false, or at least a distortion of the truth, but a guy like Coach K or Cal could sell that story in a heartbeat to a player like Hami Diallo, for instance. It worries me. In private he can be annoyed, but in public he needs to be nothing but glowingly supportive and excited about the kid's chances. He should go to the draft if the player is there in person, the whole 9.

This is more the tone JB needs to strike with the early exits. He probably needs to be even more supportive in public. It must be so easy to recruit against him claiming that he will try to hold you back and will talk smack about you if you declare and try to hurt your draft stock. All that is false, or at least a distortion of the truth, but a guy like Coach K or Cal could sell that story in a heartbeat to a player like Hami Diallo, for instance. It worries me. In private he can be annoyed, but in public he needs to be nothing but glowingly supportive and excited about the kid's chances. He should go to the draft if the player is there in person, the whole 9.

And at some point, it's not about getting drafted but winning CBB games for Syracuse University. I agree with your commentary but at the same time we cannot lose site of what the players are supposed to be accomplishing and doing. Sometimes the early draft talks gets into these guys heads and they lose focus. It's a difficult balance to maintain. JB is not perfect but he's sure an amazingly good coach.

Wow, that's some strong language! Is there something I'm not aware of that makes him dead to you other than he did not commit this week?
Nah, nothing specific. Just my vibe is all. But this is based on similar circumstances in the past.
fredo-kiss.jpg

I think that given Howards increase play during the NCAA, he showed he was reaching the point where he'll be ready to run the team in the up coming season. Plus ther is a 5th year guy there to help him and provide leadership.

"This is more the tone JB needs to strike with the early exits. He probably needs to be even more supportive in public. It must be so easy to recruit against him claiming that he will try to hold you back and will talk smack about you if you declare and try to hurt your draft stock."

I don't think that anybody has said that JB has tried to hold back a player from entering the draft. And the smack has been "player would benefit from another year in college." There are a lot more things a coach could say to a recruit that would be worse. Like he's old or he's only going to be there another year or two. Let's face it, JB's recruiting time is so short now with his impending retirement that there aren't many kids left for him to recruit!

I think that given Howards increase play during the NCAA, he showed he was reaching the point where he'll be ready to run the team in the up coming season. Plus ther is a 5th year guy there to help him and provide leadership.

"This is more the tone JB needs to strike with the early exits. He probably needs to be even more supportive in public. It must be so easy to recruit against him claiming that he will try to hold you back and will talk smack about you if you declare and try to hurt your draft stock."

I don't think that anybody has said that JB has tried to hold back a player from entering the draft. And the smack has been "player would benefit from another year in college." There are a lot more things a coach could say to a recruit that would be worse. Like he's old or he's only going to be there another year or two. Let's face it, JB's recruiting time is so short now with his impending retirement that there aren't many kids left for him to recruit!

My feeling is Coach Hop is going to pickup with the team without skipping a beat. The coaching staff has been running the practices for years. JB is a great coach. But the pieces and momentum of the program are not going to slow down in my opinion. Which is even a bigger testament to JB's career than all his wins!

Article from zag

You left out the part talking about Greg Kohls.

Definitely!

Do we all forget how limited we were last season scoring in the paint. If we didn't hit threes, the only offense we had was a Robey offensive board and put back. This team has a chance to be much more balanced offensively. Other than Frank, who will be back and a major contributor, who actually attacked the paint from the backcourt? Now, we will have three guards who are all capable of doing that. That will collapse the defense to give our limited number of shooters, a bit more space. Lydon, who will be a focal point in the offense, will and can score from inside and outside, and will be asked to do so quite a bit. Totally fine with me, as he is only going to get better, and wished he was even more aggressive at times last year. Which leads to why he couldn't. We now have some big man depth to allow him to be a bit more aggressive on offense and he won't be anchoring the zone which will keep him away from more fouls on the defensive end.

Are there a lot of question marks, of course, but I think we could be looking at a much more balanced and consistent team next season. Maybe not ever going to the hot streaks of draining threes, like we did a couple times this season, but we also won't strictly be limited to long jump shots.

Oh...and someone needs to stop DC2 from bringing the ball down low every time he touches it!!!! That darn power dribble, or whatever you call it makes me so angry!!!!! Really prevents us from running plays down low to him, because I think he is capable of having a great low post game, and has a much better mid range (8-12ft) jumper than he is given credit for.

Remind me never to get on your bad side!
Just don't back me into a corner, and you're good to go. ;)
I'm the most loyal person I know when it comes to being treated right by people. If I get the opposite from someone, I turn into exactly the opposite of who I want to be. I would like to be more even tempered, but not sure if that's in the cards anymore.

And all that stuff about Fredo is just for effect. I am not personally vested in the outcome of a couple of recruits.

yinyang.gif

I'm pretty excited to see just how good Gillon can be for us.
I can see him like Cat Barber, using his handle and speed to get into the lane and draw fouls. Cat spent an unbelievable amount of time at the line this last season (274 FTA!) and knocked a ton of them down. I'm not a pro scout by any means, but Gillon's three point shot looks a little slow to me and that might be an issue for him in the ACC to get a lot of good looks to be a high volume 3-point threat. I certainly could be wrong.

Definitely!

Do we all forget how limited we were last season scoring in the paint. If we didn't hit threes, the only offense we had was a Robey offensive board and put back. This team has a chance to be much more balanced offensively. Other than Frank, who will be back and a major contributor, who actually attacked the paint from the backcourt? Now, we will have three guards who are all capable of doing that. That will collapse the defense to give our limited number of shooters, a bit more space. Lydon, who will be a focal point in the offense, will and can score from inside and outside, and will be asked to do so quite a bit. Totally fine with me, as he is only going to get better, and wished he was even more aggressive at times last year. Which leads to why he couldn't. We now have some big man depth to allow him to be a bit more aggressive on offense and he won't be anchoring the zone which will keep him away from more fouls on the defensive end.

Are there a lot of question marks, of course, but I think we could be looking at a much more balanced and consistent team next season. Maybe not ever going to the hot streaks of draining threes, like we did a couple times this season, but we also won't strictly be limited to long jump shots.

Oh...and someone needs to stop DC2 from bringing the ball down low every time he touches it!!!! That darn power dribble, or whatever you call it makes me so angry!!!!! Really prevents us from running plays down low to him, because I think he is capable of having a great low post game, and has a much better mid range (8-12ft) jumper than he is given credit for.

I don't mind him bringing down low as long as he has the hand strength not to get it stripped. He did that a few times in 2015-16 season. 3 times he brought it down low then scored and 1 time he was stripped that I remember. I'd like to see DC2 and Chukwu develop a good drop step move to the basket. And good hands off the pick-n-roll pass. Chukwu on a pick-n-roll pass will be like giraffe feeding on the highest leaves in the tree!

I think most of our low-post offense is going to come from Lydon and Roberson crashing to the rim with a nice dish off from Howard or Gillon. I expect Lydon to be our leading scorer closely followed by Roberson. Roberson mostly because of put-backs and better low-post feeds.

Lydon already has a terrific drop-step move to the basket. He's really going to be a special player for us! Lydon has game!

I think both Gillon and Battle will contribute more PPG as the season goes on. I'm pretty excited for next year more than 2015-16.

I can see him like Cat Barber, using his handle and speed to get into the lane and draw fouls. Cat spent an unbelievable amount of time at the line this last season (274 FTA!) and knocked a ton of them down. I'm not a pro scout by any means, but Gillon's three point shot looks a little slow to me and that might be an issue for him in the ACC to get a lot of good looks to be a high volume 3-point threat. I certainly could be wrong.

You can win games by getting key players into foul trouble.

I think tee1222 has finally gone over to the darkside. It was just a matter of time.
My son's favorite Star Wars (and he is a HUGE buff) is Episode 3, just due to the struggle between conflicting sides of the force. I am proud to say his favorite is Obi Wan, which is refreshing considering Anakin's allegiance. Mine is Yoda of course. So, I'm still trying to hold onto the good! Just that some people make it so tough, but that is the way it is. Chins up, y'all!

Article from zag

It's rarely doom and gloom as an SU fan. We're losing 3 and gaining 4 so far, with JB recruiting depth now. All four new players will see floor time with some good reason for optimism. I'd love to see some other great athletes join the party but think we'll have a competitive team next year no matter who else does or doesn't choose Orange. Success in the NCAA' s is unpredictable and not always linked to success in the regular season. Next year should be great fun...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom