It ain't all doom and gloom | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

It ain't all doom and gloom

What about an extra year makes a player automatically better? Triche, Cooney, KJ, Buss, Roberson, Chin, Coleman (probably not fair because of injuries), but these guys were almost as good as freshman than their last season.

Gillon a good replacement for G? Come on dude. That's a ridiculous statement and I hope you look at Gs numbers and think back to earlier this year of every time he put this team on his back.

We're not a .500 team without G last year.
I guess my general expectation with multi-year players is that they will develop physically and mentally, if not technically. Coleman may plateau but has been here a long time and has a chance to finish strong. Roberson is also a veteran and had some great games last season. I don't think it's a pipedream to think he might become more consistent and take a bigger role on offense. I have great hopes for Lydon's development as well. He could be a force. Gillon could help the interior guys to get more good looks and is faster than anyone we've had in a while. The game will change some but my point is that our guard play should be decent, even if no one will be individually as important as Gbinije was last year.

If Rak can go from mediocre-at-best to great between his junior and senior seasons, there's no reason Roberson can't do the same thing.

Confidence is key for him. Hopefully his Tourney success where he averaged a beastly 11.2 rebounds per game is something he'll carry with him into his senior season.

If Rak can go from mediocre-at-best to great between his junior and senior seasons, there's no reason Roberson can't do the same thing.

Confidence is key for him. Hopefully his Tourney success where he averaged a beastly 11.2 rebounds per game is something he'll carry with him into his senior season.
Uh oh, hope you got a spare hour to argue..

The crazy thing is, it really wouldn't take that much for him to get into the 13-14 ppg range. A bit more confidence / decisiveness with that foul line extended jumper, an extra interior pass or two coming his way off of Gillon penetrations for easy buckets that he didn't get last season, more consistency from the FT stripe.

I agree--he could be poised for a big senior year. Maybe not Rak-like improvement, where he's clearly the focal point of the offense. But I could definitely see him taking it up a notch.

Uh oh, hope you got a spare hour to argue..
tumblr_inline_o1l37vo20b1qiq5w9_500.gif

If our frontline plays to their potential, we'll be a force. This seems like the first year in a while that we will be a forward-dominant team. TRob cleaning up the glass, PC swatting shots, Lydon doing both -- DC off the bench with his physicality (and maybe TT). I feel like we pretty much know what Battle/Howard/Gillon will provide. If the 3 combine for 32ppg, 12apg, 8rpg, 5spg and make about 35-37% of their 3's, I think they'll be fine -- it's the forwards/centers this year that can really set us apart.

In my head this is what I forsee:
Howard: 8ppg, 6apg, 3rpg,
Battle: 14ppg, 3apg, 3pg
Gillon: 10ppg, 3apg, 2rpg

Lydon: 16ppg, 6rpg, 2bpg
Roberson: 10ppg, 10rpg
PC: 6ppg, 6rpg, 3bpg
DC: 6ppg, 5rpg
Moyer: 2ppg, 1rpg

That puts us at 72 points per game and 35 rebounds per game

The PG numbers are very hard to guess. It's a bit of an unknown. Howard is a bit of known quantity. It comes down to how well Battle and Gillon can play against the better defenders in the ACC than they've faced before. I think Gillon should be pretty good. It's not like they don't play defense it the MW league. But in the past, as we all know, sometimes the HS game doesn't immediately translate well into the D1 CBB game. My hope is Battle is every one of his five stars and exceeds all my expectations. It will be exciting no matter what happens. I predict Orange fans will have some really good highs and some really bad lows in the 2016-17 season just like we do every season!

I'm really excited to see how PC will do in the zone. 7'2 whens the last time we had the kind of size? Forth and Fab were 2 inch shorter.

Article from zag
https://www.sny.tv/college-recruiti...achi-richardson-and-next-years-team/179024638

Some great comments from coach. Positive vibrations, mon!

"There's no question. In one sense I'm sure there are some players thinking, 'Well, we're going to get a lot more shots now next year [that Richardson is gone],'" Boeheim said. "And that would be true. We think our freshmen can come in and help us. We think Tyler Lydon is ready for a big role. We think that Frank Howard is ready for a big role in the backcourt. We picked up a great fifth-year transfer [Gillon] who averaged 14 points a game in college. We think he's going to be ready to help us. We got a 7-2 guy coming into the middle that we didn't have this year. We've got Tyler Roberson who averaged eight rebounds a game and who we think is a tremendous player, so we're in good position."

"It's like Malachi," Boeheim said. "Malachi came in and averaged 14 points a game and was a huge factor...I think Tyus Battle, he's rated in the same area in terms of ability. He's not quite as good a shotoer, but he's a tremendous athlete. So we think Tyus Battle can come in and make a huge difference here particularly given our strong our front line should be with Tyler Roberson, Tyler Lydon,Dajuan Coleman and Paschal Chukwu, so we really like our team."

"We're probably in much better position heading into this year than we were last year and last year turned out pretty good,"
I want to think and hope that 7'2" Chukwu is being worked hard to jack his muscle mass to 240 lbs at least as wel as Tyler Lydon doing the same but not as much as Chuky. Everyone could stand to gain some strength body mass
Plenty of other goodies from coach, so have at it!
:)

I can see him like Cat Barber, using his handle and speed to get into the lane and draw fouls. Cat spent an unbelievable amount of time at the line this last season (274 FTA!) and knocked a ton of them down. I'm not a pro scout by any means, but Gillon's three point shot looks a little slow to me and that might be an issue for him in the ACC to get a lot of good looks to be a high volume 3-point threat. I certainly could be wrong.

He's not at that level of a Cat Barber. But he will be a good player for us.

Nobody thought Roberson would ever play scared or tentative coming from high school. A lot can change freshman year.

I did, just based off of his ESPN announcement. He couldn't speak and was almost in tears. You could see that he puts so much pressure on himself. He's so talented, I hope he can just believe in himself more this year. He was very solid last year. He just needs more consistency.

If our frontline plays to their potential, we'll be a force. This seems like the first year in a while that we will be a forward-dominant team. TRob cleaning up the glass, PC swatting shots, Lydon doing both -- DC off the bench with his physicality (and maybe TT). I feel like we pretty much know what Battle/Howard/Gillon will provide. If the 3 combine for 32ppg, 12apg, 8rpg, 5spg and make about 35-37% of their 3's, I think they'll be fine -- it's the forwards/centers this year that can really set us apart.

In my head this is what I forsee:
Howard: 8ppg, 6apg, 3rpg,
Battle: 14ppg, 3apg, 3pg
Gillon: 10ppg, 3apg, 2rpg

Lydon: 16ppg, 6rpg, 2bpg
Roberson: 10ppg, 10rpg
PC: 6ppg, 6rpg, 3bpg
DC: 6ppg, 5rpg
Moyer: 2ppg, 1rpg

That puts us at 72 points per game and 35 rebounds per game

I think Moyer will contribute more and will force his way on to the floor when Roberson is having off games.
I also think you are over-estimating a bit how much Frank will contribute. I would put him more at 5 or 6 points and 4 assists per game. Battle also ought to rebound a bit better than that. Otherwise, that doesn't look too far off to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom