It's Coming: ACC NETWORK (from other side) | Syracusefan.com

It's Coming: ACC NETWORK (from other side)

arbitragegls

All Conference
The laughter was muted but very heard...Swofford just indicated that not much to talk about insofar as the ACC NETWORK was concerned in his opening remarks today...BUT the whispers and nods after the statement were loud indeed (article written before the address). The ACC published the following immediately after the statement...and off it goes:

"An ACC television channel might not be considered imminent at this point, but the writing on the wall says that one will form sooner than later, providing hopes of a major payday for ACC universities.

"Given the reach the ACC has secured through conference realignment, an all-ACC television channel would likely eclipse the profits of the Big Ten Network and the SEC Network. ... but considering the potential revenue stream and the commissioner’s willingness to push this project through, odds are high that an ACC Network will appear on televisions in the coming years".

http://www.accsports.com/articles/acc-still-working-toward-tv-channel

The Stealth side continues to bet on 2017 or earlier for the announcement of the ACCnetwork...and that the digital network in place and growing will be a significant piece in supplementing the reach of the TV Channel. Importantly, the ACC is far out front of all other conferences in the number of users on its digital network...and it continues to grow under the aegis of Raycom and ESPN...the partnership is formed...it is a matter of when not if...

It's Good to be 'Cuse!! The Order of the 'Cuse Orange..

Is that a typo that the revenue of an ACC is likely to surpass that of the SEC or Big Ten? That doesn't sound right and since the article says "...but there will probably be an ACC network anyway" it seems like it should say likely will not surpass.

Is that a typo that the revenue of an ACC is likely to surpass that of the SEC or Big Ten? That doesn't sound right and since the article says "...but there will probably be an ACC network anyway" it seems like it should say likely will not surpass.

I have to agree - it was very poorly worded. No way the ACC surpasses the B10 or SEC network in terms of profitability.

So 2 more seasons of having to watch many Cuse hoops games on espn3 only? Good lord. I miss SNY.

The biggest B10 games are not on the network either. They typically only put the sluff ion the B10 network.

The SEC TV revenues are expected to top $40 million per team and half of those teams have ridiculous media rights deals because they're the only show in state. No chance they're surpassed.

The biggest B10 games are not on the network either. They typically only put the sluff ion the B10 network.
But I get the b10 network (I live in Chicago so that probably helps)... but just as importantly if I didnt live in Chicago I could probably still get the b10 network. Most importantly I don't have to watch on espn 360 or whatever they call it. In Duke, UNC, Syracuse... the ACC has three of the historic all time great programs yet the fact they can't guarantee tv time for all of their games in this day and age of 100s of channels is amazing. The BE could and did do that.

The laughter was muted but very heard...Swofford just indicated that not much to talk about insofar as the ACC NETWORK was concerned in his opening remarks today...BUT the whispers and nods after the statement were loud indeed (article written before the address). The ACC published the following immediately after the statement...and off it goes:

"An ACC television channel might not be considered imminent at this point, but the writing on the wall says that one will form sooner than later, providing hopes of a major payday for ACC universities.

"Given the reach the ACC has secured through conference realignment, an all-ACC television channel would likely eclipse the profits of the Big Ten Network and the SEC Network. ... but considering the potential revenue stream and the commissioner’s willingness to push this project through, odds are high that an ACC Network will appear on televisions in the coming years".

http://www.accsports.com/articles/acc-still-working-toward-tv-channel

The Stealth side continues to bet on 2017 or earlier for the announcement of the ACCnetwork...and that the digital network in place and growing will be a significant piece in supplementing the reach of the TV Channel. Importantly, the ACC is far out front of all other conferences in the number of users on its digital network...and it continues to grow under the aegis of Raycom and ESPN...the partnership is formed...it is a matter of when not if...

It's Good to be 'Cuse!! The Order of the 'Cuse Orange..

I've got an ACC Network app on my new DVD player. I don't know why this wouldn't happen very soon, except for Raycomm.

The SEC TV revenues are expected to top $40 million per team and half of those teams have ridiculous media rights deals because they're the only show in state. No chance they're surpassed.
Could it be that considering the way rights get inflated, that 2 - 3 years down the line the ACC $$$$ could be more than either the SEC or B10 just because those contract would be 5? years old?

In my view, the language in the article is exactly as the writer intended. I'm not saying that i agree with the writer, but I believe that they wrote it just as they intended. I also believe that the reasoning behind the writer's language, is the result of the population demographics of each of the leagues. The ACC has a significant advantage currently, and the trend is continuing in its favor. The B1G's demographics do not look good for the long term. The rust belt is losing population hand over fist.

Could it be that considering the way rights get inflated, that 2 - 3 years down the line the ACC $$$$ could be more than either the SEC or B10 just because those contract would be 5? years old?
Not with a quarter of the league being in one state and most of the teams being 2nd fiddle in state. It's easier to negotiate with cable and satellite providers when your schools are the only show in town. Alabama and Kentucky who have zero major professional teams in state just signed new media rights deals this year. Alabama signed a 10 year deal for $150-$160 million, Kentucky signed a 15 year $210 million deal with a $29 million signing bonus. Compare that to the latest ACC teams that signed new deals. It crushes them.

As Florida St, and Miami become dominant again in Football, and Notre Dame, Clemson, Louisville, Syracuse get back to being top 15 consistently. The ACC will end up being the Big Dog in Football, and Basketball, the conference everyone in the country wants to see. The SEC is never going to be watched in the West, Midwest, or Northeast, the ACC can , and will be.

"But there will probably be an ACC network anyway" was taken out of context

Here's the full quote :

Swofford didn’t offer any promises that the channel will be launching soon, but considering the potential revenue stream and the commissioner’s willingness to push this project through, odds are high that an ACC Network will appear on televisions in the coming years. - See more at: http://www.accsports.com/articles/acc-still-working-toward-tv-channel#sthash.Jb0dudkg.dpuf

As Florida St, and Miami become dominant again in Football, and Notre Dame, Clemson, Louisville, Syracuse get back to being top 15 consistently. The ACC will end up being the Big Dog in Football, and Basketball, the conference everyone in the country wants to see. The SEC is never going to be watched in the West, Midwest, or Northeast, the ACC can , and will be.
That's not how it works, that's not how any of this works. The SEC Network, Big Ten network, and Pac 12 Network get paid a fee for every subscriber. The networks get paid a higher fee in the conference's footprint aka the home state of each program. Outside of their conference footprint they all get 25 cents per subscriber. The network with the biggest footprint, highest footprint fees, and most carriers makes the most money. The SEC charges $1.40 per subscriber inside their footprint, Big 10 charges $1.00, and they Pac 12 charges $.80. The SEC Network had deals with every major cable and satellite provider except Directv and Time Warner although they are expected to reach an agreement before the network launches, The Big 10 Network now has deal with all the major providers, the Pac 12 has with all the major providers except for Directv.

The SEC may not get watched in those other areas, which isn't really true compared to other conferences, but inside their footprint they are the #1 show and command the highest fee.

You're making a lot of assumptions that are far from guarantees with that statement...

with our footprint any acc network channel we should be able to offer it at less than a $1 per subscriber in footprint

Distributors are paying $1.40 per subscriber per month for the channel within the SEC's 11-state footprint and $0.25 per month outside of it. The channel will be on expanded basic tiers within SEC territory and digital basic outside of it. Just last week, the country's biggest distributor, Comcast, signed a deal to carry the channel, joining a roster that includes AT&T, Cox and Dish Network.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom