It's official: Hop is the next coach | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

It's official: Hop is the next coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, it's still early but...I'm loving the Syverud regime. And Coyle seems like the perfect AD counterpart to a no nonsense guy like Kent.

I'm quite impressed also. I think we'll see fewer <headdesk> moments emanating from the hill

Thinking about it this makes the most sense. New AD comes in and hires his own replacement for JB. Replacement proceeds to fall flat on his face? You think people were up in arms about Gross retiring 44, imagine how they would feel about the new AD if he didn't follow the succession plan and the team tanks with his guy at the helm. This was the safe choice, and really the only choice.

I like this Coyle guy. He gets it.

Last year, this would've read "Jim Hopkins to be the hair apparent for Mike Boeheim".

I think they would have used the correct names. But definitely would have used the word "hair"

This is a good PR move in my opinion. Take away the uncertainty at a time when we just don't need it. Combine it with the new AD, makes it all look like there's a united, decisive group in charge now.

Continually impressed by the new powers that be at SU.

So Hopkins is the designated head coach to replace Boeheim. Is that different than the head coach in waiting, or whatever he was made previously.

Should we name JB the head coach again, just in case there is any confusion? Based on Pete's tweets I'm confused about whether Hop is now the head coach, or whether he's still just waiting to be the head coach.

I'm going to suggest that we officially announce that anyone willing to commit to SU in the next week or two will be designated the point guard in waiting.

Last edited:
It was needed. Remember this article that came out shortly after the sanctions were announced?

Linkage

Gary Battle had said one of the key components in his son's interest in Syracuse was Boeheim's position as the head coach. Battle said today that Boeheim's reitirement would not alter the way Tyus viewed Syracuse. Boeheim's age (he is 70) and his length of service at SU suggested Boeheim might step down at some point if Battle decided to attend Syracuse.

"It doesn't impact what we're hoping to accomplish," Gary Battle said. "We like the brand, we like the school, we like the coach and the coaching staff is an extension of each other. Coach Boeheim has been as involved as any head coach in the recruitment of Tyus. But there's no more prepared assistant coach than Mike Hopkins."

The Chancellor held off on it until the new AD was hired and signed off on it.

Once the old chancellor and AD left and JB announced he was leaving, this needed to be done.

Good job by all involved to nip a problem in the bud.

Syverud keeps hitting home runs.

This is more than Syverud, though. If I recall Coyle was asked about the Hopkins/Boeheim transition and he said that there would be discussions about that in the near future. Looks like those discussions have been had and Coyle agrees that Hopkins is the right guy. Plus, no doubt Coyle knew who Hopkins was prior to being hired.

It was never so publicly announced like today. This is the real deal to the world. We always knew it, but now it is news on ESPN etc. There is no going back on this now, as there was always a nagging question mark attached to this before as no one would really publicly stand behind it. Needed for recruiting as stated above. The players need to know we have a plan in place and what that plan is. Hopkins is a comfortable options for our future recruits. Smart move to make as soon as we got the AD position in place, and the right move to make to wait and have the AD stand behind it.

texascpa said:
This is more than Syverud, though. If I recall Coyle was asked about the Hopkins/Boeheim transition and he said that there would be discussions about that in the near future. Looks like those discussions have been had and Coyle agrees that Hopkins is the right guy. Plus, no doubt Coyle knew who Hopkins was prior to being hired.

Don't really disagree but Coyle doesn't even start till July 6. Im sure Syverud talked to him about this but I feel the reason the announcement was made now vs after July 6 was because of recruiting.

Don't really disagree but Coyle doesn't even start till July 6. Im sure Syverud talked to him about this but I feel the reason the announcement was made now vs after July 6 was because of recruiting.
Are you suggesting there's a current recruit with whom Hop has an incredibly tight relationship who is in the midst of making a decision?

Hmm...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors