It's official: Hop is the next coach | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

It's official: Hop is the next coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't really disagree but Coyle doesn't even start till July 6. Im sure Syverud talked to him about this but I feel the reason the announcement was made now vs after July 6 was because of recruiting.

You're probably right bees...nonetheless, it's really about time the world knows what we've known all along...

Are you suggesting there's a current recruit with whom Hop has an incredibly tight relationship who is in the midst of making a decision?

Hmm...

And who said we'd never give someone a job just to influence a recruit's decision.

And what's wrong with that?

I never said anything was wrong with it, but I think it's important that people acknowledge the practical reasons for the announcement as well as the symbolic ones. I'm happy with the move.

FairfaxOrange said:
You're probably right bees...nonetheless, it's really about time the world knows what we've known all along...

Absolutely.

pfister1 said:
And who said we'd never give someone a job just to influence a recruit's decision.

I don't think we have Hop the job to influence a recruit. I think Hop had the job and this announcement was inevitable. It's the timing that may have been done for recruiting reasons.

It was never so publicly announced like today. This is the real deal to the world. We always knew it, but now it is news on ESPN etc. There is no going back on this now, as there was always a nagging question mark attached to this before as no one would really publicly stand behind it. Needed for recruiting as stated above. The players need to know we have a plan in place and what that plan is. Hopkins is a comfortable options for our future recruits. Smart move to make as soon as we got the AD position in place, and the right move to make to wait and have the AD stand behind it.

So did the deal referenced here ESPN never get done?

There is no timetable for Hopkins to replace Boeheim, a Hall of Fame and national championship-winning coach, but Hopkins and the university finally have reached an agreement to put a succession plan in writing. The move has been in the works for months, but final details are being worked out in assistant coach Hopkins' current contract.

An announcement could be forthcoming in the next few weeks.

This from an Andy Katz article on espn.com dated May 15, 2007.

So did the deal referenced here ESPN never get done?

There is no timetable for Hopkins to replace Boeheim, a Hall of Fame and national championship-winning coach, but Hopkins and the university finally have reached an agreement to put a succession plan in writing. The move has been in the works for months, but final details are being worked out in assistant coach Hopkins' current contract.

An announcement could be forthcoming in the next few weeks.

This from an Andy Katz article on espn.com dated May 15, 2007.
It got done.

A fellow Class of '93 alum... loved him as a player, assistant and will be very glad to have him as our next HC.

Yes, Mike was compensated for sticking around but he was patient and loyal. He had other options outside CNY. Where else in the world do you see that in high profile careers these days?

Good luck, Mike!

Great news. It was needed for recruiting. I think the idea of Boeheim leaving before 3 years is crazy. He is promising kids that he will stay. Moyer and his mother have both made reference to it. He is not leaving until 3 years are up and now we can recruit with kids knowing they will be playing for Hop. I think they wanted the new AD board first so it looked united and he was part of the decision.

jekelish said:
Are you suggesting there's a current recruit with whom Hop has an incredibly tight relationship who is in the midst of making a decision? Hmm...
Yeah. Think this will end the wait. Also thinking this might be JBs last...

Anyone see the SyracuseOnScout twitter account say that there may be more big news coming for Syracuse tonight?
I think they're talking about Syracuse football recruiting. Just got one commit, and will probably get at least one more within the next 24 hours. Probably two, at least.

I really hope that Boeheim's last home game is on a weekend afternoon and not a weeknight. It's going to be the most anticipated sporting event in the history of the City of Syracuse.

For whatever the reason may be for this announcement being made at this juncture... I"m completely thrilled about it. Anything which promotes continuity and stability to a program that has been subjected to some lousy developments which have caused uncertainty and doubt is good in my book.

Mike Hopkins exudes an incredibly positive vibe and will usher in positive change in terms of the programs culture and will steer Syracuse into a new era of success with a fresh face on the program. Mike represents the new breed of college coach while at the same time still honors the achievements of Jimmy B. by carrying on some aspects of the program passed on to Mike by Coach Boeheim. This development today may well be what in the future is considered the turning point of the program from one generation to the next and signals the beginning of the new direction taken by Syracuse Basketball.

Good news, Hop deserves his chance. He is a loyal guy, that will continue the winning tradition Syracuse BB has long established.

Actually in its simplest terms, this was a brilliant move. Basketball will now be solid for the foreseeable future allowing Coyle to direct his energy to fixing football!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom