It's official. We'll have a 30 second shot clock! | Syracusefan.com

It's official. We'll have a 30 second shot clock!

DeGrozz

All American
Wow - and they are adding an additional foul in the 2016 post-season tournament -- not sure how I feel about that...

Edit: there were a couple of changes in timeout rules too, but I didn't catch everything Bilas said.

Wait what on the extra foul? Need some more info on that.

I think the 30 second clock will improve the game in general, and it should also benefit us. So, win-win.

30 second shot clock - way overdue, great change

Additional foul in the postseason - that don't make no sense

There should be an additional foul all the time. Shitty to just make it during the postseason. If its the right rule (which it is) its always the right rule.

I also heard the restricted area is being moved out farther, which to me is the most important of all the rule changes. Can anybody confirm if this is true?

Ultimately the closer the college rules mirror NBA rules the better the college game will be.

From what I'm reading, the sixth foul rule is something they are experimenting with in the NIT next year to see how it goes.

There should be an additional foul all the time. Shitty to just make it during the postseason. If its the right rule (which it is) its always the right rule.

I also heard the restricted area is being moved out farther, which to me is the most important of all the rule changes. Can anybody confirm if this is true?

Ultimately the closer the college rules mirror NBA rules the better the college game will be.

Additional foul is bad. Do people not remember the early 90's Big East when they went with the 6 foul rule? I guess I'd be ok with it if they actually start calling all the fouls that happen during these games, but what needs to happen is defenders need to stop fouling every play. There should be disincentives to playing overly-physical defense that destroys the offense in these games.

Yes, the charge line is now going from 3 feet to 4 feet.

I don't like 6 fouls unless they go to a 48 minute game.

5 fouls for 40 minutes
6 fouls for 48 minutes.

The NBA 6 fouls make sense since the game is 20% longer.

Additional foul is bad. Do people not remember the early 90's Big East when they went with the 6 foul rule? I guess I'd be ok with it if they actually start calling all the fouls that happen during these games, but what needs to happen is defenders need to stop fouling every play. There should be disincentives to playing overly-physical defense that destroys the offense in these games.

Experimental rule
The committee discussed its rules and potential options with the number of fouls and other considerations at length. The committee has approved experimentation to add one foul per player for the 2016 postseason and will investigate interested events (e.g., National Invitational Tournament, etc.).

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources...tee-recommends-package-proposals-improve-game

The reason that rule sucked for the Big East is because they got used to playing with 6 fouls all year long and had to adjust to 5 for the NCAA tournament. It was a big disadvantage for Big East teams.

As far as quality of play its a far superior rule unless you enjoy players afraid to play defense because they are worried about fouling out. Aggressive play is more fun to watch, adding a 6th foul makes a big difference on the level of play. Especially if its paired with a large restricted area to eliminate those stupid fall on purpose block/charge abominations.

FYI- these are recommendations, which still need to be approved. None of them are official changes at this point.

they can do whatever they want in the NIT but 6 fouls is nuts.

NBA has a 25% shorter clock now and a 20% longer game. why would college think they need the same number of fouls? does anyone think the NBA should go to more fouls?

Experimental rule
The committee discussed its rules and potential options with the number of fouls and other considerations at length. The committee has approved experimentation to add one foul per player for the 2016 postseason and will investigate interested events (e.g., National Invitational Tournament, etc.).

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources...tee-recommends-package-proposals-improve-game

I figured that's what it meant. I just think that 5 fouls is enough for a 40 minute game and there's no reason to experiment with it.

FYI- these are recommendations, which still need to be approved. None of them are official changes at this point.

I think some of them have already been approved, such as the shot clock.

Another huge change: no more timeout followed by a media timeout 30 seconds later. Thank. god.

I also saw that they've done away with the 5 seconds closely guarded rule, which I'm not as big on.

And if you're reviewing a flagrant foul, and the guy flopped, he'll be punished instead if approved.

I figured that's what it meant. I just think that 5 fouls is enough for a 40 minute game and there's no reason to experiment with it.

In last year's NIT games, they used a :30 shot clock.

Better to experiment in games that don't matter.

Another huge change: no more timeout followed by a media timeout 30 seconds later. Thank. god.

I also saw that they've done away with the 5 seconds closely guarded rule, which I'm not as big on.

And if you're reviewing a flagrant foul, and the guy flopped, he'll be punished instead if approved.

Love that last one. I have always said that any flop at any time should be a technical foul.

All recommendations. Likely to be approved, but nothing official yet.

CFEHMCzUIAMcNgZ.jpg

CFEKZFhUUAAhPa-.png