It's official. We'll have a 30 second shot clock! | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

It's official. We'll have a 30 second shot clock!

CFEHMCzUIAMcNgZ.jpg

CFEKZFhUUAAhPa-.png

The removal of coach live ball TO's and getting rid of a timeout is huge.

There should be an additional foul all the time. Shitty to just make it during the postseason. If its the right rule (which it is) its always the right rule.

I also heard the restricted area is being moved out farther, which to me is the most important of all the rule changes. Can anybody confirm if this is true?

Ultimately the closer the college rules mirror NBA rules the better the college game will be.

Anything General20 posts I always click on the "Like". It's really just habit now.

30 second shot clock is great news for us.
it helps us on defense, for sure, but I don't see how it helps us on offense. if we can't get good shots in 35, we're not going to find them in 30, either. might even make us worse.

they can do whatever they want in the NIT but 6 fouls is nuts.

NBA has a 25% shorter clock now and a 20% longer game. why would college think they need the same number of fouls? does anyone think the NBA should go to more fouls?
it will just hand coaches of overmatched teams a bunch more fouls to use to slow the game down at the end when their only hope is to trade desperation 3s for missed FTs.

Really don't know what difference having 4 quarters would make.

That one is lost on me also. I'm probably missing something.

Really don't know what difference having 4 quarters would make.

The only college rule that's better than its NBA counterpart is the 2 halves vs. 4 quarters. Why break the game up more? What is the upside? Isn't the point of cutting down on time outs to keep game flow continuous? Cutting time outs but adding 4 quarters negate each other.

it helps us on defense, for sure, but I don't see how it helps us on offense. if we can't get good shots in 35, we're not going to find them in 30, either. might even make us worse.

There is a difference between missing shots and not being able to find good shots. Last year Syracuse found good shots consistently and missed them - I dont think either Patterson or Johnson took a covered shot all year . Syracuse does not try to grind out the clock. 5 fewer seconds to score will not affect their offense at all. If their offense is bad (and it very well may be) it would be just as bad with 5 more seconds.

On the other hand, teams consistently try to run the shot clock down against Syracuse. 5 more seconds will make a difference in the aggregate, by giving us more time on the ball and more possessions. This rule will help Syracuse, but honestly I care less about that than about the fact that this is just the right rule for college basketball as a whole.

I'd also support the NBA's wide lanes and defensive 5 second rule (even though it would be terrible for Syracuse and force us to stop playing 2-3) because it would make the game more fun to watch.

There should be an additional foul all the time. Shitty to just make it during the postseason. If its the right rule (which it is) its always the right rule.

I also heard the restricted area is being moved out farther, which to me is the most important of all the rule changes. Can anybody confirm if this is true?

Ultimately the closer the college rules mirror NBA rules the better the college game will be.
Adding a 6th foul is a terrible idea. They did this in the old Big East and it was awful. The more fouls you allow the more fouling there will be in the game. Plus it made the interior play much more physical. Can't see what benefit they see in it. You think they would have learned from it when it was tried before.

Anything that helps the game flow is a plus.

Watching BB games with so many team time outs and commercial time outs has really killed the flow of college basketball games. One of the big differences when watching games in recent years compared to 20-30 years ago.

But...extra fouls won't help in that regard.

There is a difference between missing shots and not being able to find good shots. Last year Syracuse found good shots consistently and missed them - I dont think either Patterson or Johnson took a covered shot all year . Syracuse does not try to grind out the clock. 5 fewer seconds to score will not affect their offense at all. If their offense is bad (and it very well may be) it would be just as bad with 5 more seconds.

On the other hand, teams consistently try to run the shot clock down against Syracuse. 5 more seconds will make a difference in the aggregate, by giving us more time on the ball and more possessions. This rule will help Syracuse, but honestly I care less about that than about the fact that this is just the right rule for college basketball as a whole.

I'd also support the NBA's wide lanes and defensive 5 second rule (even though it would be terrible for Syracuse and force us to stop playing 2-3) because it would make the game more fun to watch.

Agree with this but I don't really think SU found good shots consistently. Sometimes yes but against the better defensive teams (even a Clemson) they just locked us down with tight M2M. Vanilla offense so we couldn't move the defense. With limited ballhandling the offense was toast especially if Rak was off. Cooney takes tons of covered shots but he sort of has to and I give him somewhat a pass. Yes they missed a bunch of open shots too and, again, I basically agree with you. Good to see you post! I'm curious what you think of the returning cast of characters and the newbies.

Agree with this but I don't really think SU found good shots consistently. Sometimes yes but against the better defensive teams (even a Clemson) they just locked us down with tight M2M. Vanilla offense so we couldn't move the defense. With limited ballhandling the offense was toast especially if Rak was off. Cooney takes tons of covered shots but he sort of has to and I give him somewhat a pass. Yes they missed a bunch of open shots too and, again, I basically agree with you. Good to see you post! I'm curious what you think of the returning cast of characters and the newbies.
I think this will also put a premium on getting guys who can take it to the rack. When you're down to 4 seconds with no prospects, that should be your go to play.

I think everybody in the new class will be a good player eventually, but I don't particularly think any of them are going to be great freshmen. No one-and-dones in the group. If we get a solid bench contributor or two the first year, I'd call it a success.

Returning players.

Lets start with Joseph. I think we see a big jump in production from him. I'm a believer. I think he has all the skills necessary to be an extremely good basketball player. Its not rare at all for a freshman to not be ready to play. What is rare is Syracuse needing to rely on a guy like that. I think seeing how ugly it was put some people off him, but trust me there are plenty of guys who went on to have good careers who would have looked just as bad if given the chance their freshman year.

Cooney. I've said it before I'll say it again. He is as good a role player as there is in the country, but if the opposing defense can game plan to lock him down like he's the star they are going to succeed more often than they are going to fail. Its up to the rest of SU's players to score enough to get the defensive attention off him. When Cooney is left alone he is dangerous.

Gbinije. To me he is maybe the most interesting player on the team. For about a month last year Gbinije was playing as well as anybody who ever wore a Syracuse jersey. Im not kidding. He was putting up Carmelo Anthony/Billy Owens numbers, while playing forward on D and point guard on O. Now I'm a fan of Gbinije and I was touting him before the season started, but he's not THAT good. At least I don't think he is. But if I'm wrong and he can play anywhere close to how he did for that month last year and keep it up for an entire season Syracuse will be a top 10 or 15 basketball team. I don't care what anybody else does. I'm just not sure that's a realistic expectation.

Roberson. I expect him to be one of the better rebounders we have ever seen at Syracuse. I expect him to improve defensively. I expect him to be a garbage-man on O, and essentially a second option type. I don't think a 10 point 10 rebound per game season is out of the question. Very solid all around.

Coleman - Who the hell knows?

I think everybody in the new class will be a good player eventually, but I don't particularly think any of them are going to be great freshmen. No one-and-dones in the group. If we get a solid bench contributor or two the first year, I'd call it a success.

Returning players.

Lets start with Joseph. I think we see a big jump in production from him. I'm a believer. I think he has all the skills necessary to be an extremely good basketball player. Its not rare at all for a freshman to not be ready to play. What is rare is Syracuse needing to rely on a guy like that. I think seeing how ugly it was put some people off him, but trust me there are plenty of guys who went on to have good careers who would have looked just as bad if given the chance their freshman year.

Cooney. I've said it before I'll say it again. He is as good a role player as there is in the country, but if the opposing defense can game plan to lock him down like he's the star they are going to succeed more often than they are going to fail. Its up to the rest of SU's players to score enough to get the defensive attention off him. When Cooney is left alone he is dangerous.

Gbinije. To me he is maybe the most interesting player on the team. For about a month last year Gbinije was playing as well as anybody who ever wore a Syracuse jersey. Im not kidding. He was putting up Carmelo Anthony/Billy Owens numbers, while playing forward on D and point guard on O. Now I'm a fan of Gbinije and I was touting him before the season started, but he's not THAT good. At least I don't think he is. But if I'm wrong and he can play anywhere close to how he did for that month last year and keep it up for an entire season Syracuse will be a top 10 or 15 basketball team. I don't care what anybody else does. I'm just not sure that's a realistic expectation.

Roberson. I expect him to be one of the better rebounders we have ever seen at Syracuse. I expect him to improve defensively. I expect him to be a garbage-man on O, and essentially a second option type. I don't think a 10 point 10 rebound per game season is out of the question. Very solid all around.

Completely agree about the freshman.

No clue what to think about joseph but I like your confidence.

Right there with you with the rest, especially coleman.

TDTOrange said:
Additional foul is bad. Do people not remember the early 90's Big East when they went with the 6 foul rule? I guess I'd be ok with it if they actually start calling all the fouls that happen during these games, but what needs to happen is defenders need to stop fouling every play. There should be disincentives to playing overly-physical defense that destroys the offense in these games.

I can't agree with this post more.

Returning players.

'Agree with everything but Roberson. I believe he'll finally find the confidence to take and make the mid-range shot that will give him closer to 14 and 10. I also believe that he and G will open things up for Cooney, who I expect to have the season we've all been waiting.
This can be a very good team IF we get the center play we need. But than again, how many high scoring centers like Roc, have we ever had??

Returning players.

Very informative post and thanks for sharing. I sure hope you are right about Joseph. I have a similar feeling about the freshmen. They will be very good down the road but not such a big impact right now. Plus it's Boeheim. If they are struggling early on learning various concepts while we are in close games then he will ride the vets into the ground for better or worse.

Silent G is also interesting to me. He's a very smooth player but not sure I see a great athlete here. I was scolded saying that by some once before. He struggles against good and athletic defenders. With more attention this year it will be interesting to see if he can replicate that stretch where he was playing like a 1st Team ACC player. He's got a really nice and versatile game. Hopefully he won't be needed at PG as much as last year bailing Joseph out since he is more effective at the 3 like others have pointed out. If he regresses at all then we are in trouble I think. I can't wait to see Coleman give it a go. He deserves some good news having worked so hard with such a great attitude. He may even come in more explosive than ever.

Last edited:
Haven't read this whole thing, but here's my 2 pennies.

A) A 30 second shot clock is obviously way overdue and I think this will help the game. It should help us out, too, because of the zone defense.

B) 'Rick Pitino' timeouts (just before media timeout) becoming media timeouts is freakin' fantastic!

C) I hope the 6th foul rule sticks. It makes sense that a game which should now have more possessions will have more fouls allowed. I've also never been a fan of beating a team by getting one of their players to foul out.

Great. So instead of our center fouling out in 5 minutes, he'll foul out in 7 minutes.

I don't think how much that will help us can be overstated. Teams had trouble finding good shots in 35...how will they do it with 5 seconds less? It would be interesting to know what percentage of shots against us came with under 30 seconds in a non- break situation. I would guess less than 15%

Wow - and they are adding an additional foul in the 2016 post-season tournament -- not sure how I feel about that...

Edit: there were a couple of changes in timeout rules too, but I didn't catch everything Bilas said.

So let's increase possessions, speed up the game, limit the stoppages through time outs, but let's also introduce another foul so the game can be reduced to a FT shooting contest, like the Hack-a-Jordan being employed by teams who face the Clippers? What ?!?

If they go to 4 quarters eventually, then 2 more time outs should be taken away too. All of the marginal basketball fans I know rant at the stoppages late in a half as the reason they don't watch more basketball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom