It's showtime -- let the (NBA) games begin! | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

It's showtime -- let the (NBA) games begin!

Awesome game, unfortunately knicks came up short but great game nonetheless

Refs decided that Hawks wold win in 3rd Qtr.

Hawks just refusing to do so.

Bullshit game.

Totally robbed.

Melo got hammered on that hoop that sent it to OT. He should've been shooting a a
FT for the lead and win. What sucks, is that it's not surprising at all that it wasn't called. No star player gets fewer calls going to the basket.

Melo got hammered on that hoop that sent it to OT. He should've been shooting a a
FT for the lead and win. What sucks, is that it's not surprising at all that it wasn't called. No star player gets fewer calls going to the basket.
That was one amazing play. Melo was being fouled continuously on the drive, and besides his defender (who had to be surgically removed from his hip) there was no one within 15 feet of him. Not sure what those officials were looking at to miss all that.

Other horrible calls were the Flagrant 1 on Howard that should have been a Flagrant 2, Melo getting called for the foul after a missed free throw, Melo getting called for a foul going down on the floor for a loose ball, and Melo getting raked across the face (knocking his headband off) on a made basket.

That was one amazing play. Melo was being fouled continuously on the drive, and besides his defender (who had to be surgically removed from his hip) there was no one within 15 feet of him. Not sure what those officials were looking at to miss all that.

Other horrible calls were the Flagrant 1 on Howard that should have been a Flagrant 2, Melo getting called for the foul after a missed free throw, Melo getting called for a foul going down on the floor for a loose ball, and Melo getting raked across the face (knocking his headband off) on a made basket.

Not to mention the missed technical that should have been called on Schroder. Automatic T if you throw the ball into the crowd like that, whether he bounced it or not. Did it right in front of the ref. Inexcusable.

Not to mention the missed technical that should have been called on Schroder. Automatic T if you throw the ball into the crowd like that, whether he bounced it or not. Did it right in front of the ref. Inexcusable.
Oh hell, how did I forget that. No excuse for missing that, as it's not even a judgment call.

I don't actually believe he'll get moved, and Boston probably isn't even considering it at this stage, but a very small part of me wonders if they are...

So Boston has the Brooklyn pick this year and it's a pretty safe bet they're not giving it up for anything. There's like a 90% chance that the Brooklyn pick turns into a point guard, AKA the only position that Isaiah can play. Isaiah's contract expires next season. Isaiah has created a reputation as a bonafide star, but if you dig deeper the way Ainge is famous for, you'll notice that even with the insane jump he's made offensively this year, his impact on the game is greatly diminished by his horrific defense to the point that Boston is actually better when he's off the floor (depending on which metric you use).

It's always said that the best time to move a player for assets is the year before they turn into an expiring contract, and given the fact that they'll almost certainly be drafting a starting PG this offseason, I do kinda wonder if Ainge is considering whether or not Boston can really beat Cleveland (they can't) and perhaps then consider looking to move Isaiah if he can get a haul for him.

Isaiah's made it pretty clear that he's simply looking for the most money he can get next year, so Boston can re-sign him if they wish to, but under the new CBA, the amount that Isaiah would be getting under a max deal is pretty insane if you already have another franchise PG in place.

I don't actually believe he'll get moved, and Boston probably isn't even considering it at this stage, but a very small part of me wonders if they are...

So Boston has the Brooklyn pick this year and it's a pretty safe bet they're not giving it up for anything. There's like a 90% chance that the Brooklyn pick turns into a point guard, AKA the only position that Isaiah can play. Isaiah's contract expires next season. Isaiah has created a reputation as a bonafide star, but if you dig deeper the way Ainge is famous for, you'll notice that even with the insane jump he's made offensively this year, his impact on the game is greatly diminished by his horrific defense to the point that Boston is actually better when he's off the floor (depending on which metric you use).

It's always said that the best time to move a player for assets is the year before they turn into an expiring contract, and given the fact that they'll almost certainly be drafting a starting PG this offseason, I do kinda wonder if Ainge is considering whether or not Boston can really beat Cleveland (they can't) and perhaps then consider looking to move Isaiah if he can get a haul for him.

Isaiah's made it pretty clear that he's simply looking for the most money he can get next year, so Boston can re-sign him if they wish to, but under the new CBA, the amount that Isaiah would be getting under a max deal is pretty insane if you already have another franchise PG in place.

I hear what you're saying, but I really don't think Boston can move Isaiah this year. I agree that barring a Lebron injury, they aren't getting past Cleveland, but Thomas is averaging close to 30 (!) points a game this year, he's an all star; I know Ainge is ballsy but that would be incredibly ballsy to move him.

His on/off splits are amazing, the Boston offense is 10.6 per 100 worse when he sits, but their defense is 11.4 per 100 better.

I was kinda having this conversation with my dad last night. Ownership is so so important to long term success and the Knicks are...lacking there.

The one good thing is that compared to other sports, one player can be so transcendent in basketball and an overcome a lot, so maybe KP turns into that player.

so what does Dolan do different when it comes to the Rangers? Does he completely stay out of the way?

so what does Dolan do different when it comes to the Rangers? Does he completely stay out of the way?

My read (and keep in mind the Rangers were really bad for a while) is he fancies himself more of a basketball expert than a hockey expert, so he's more willing to let the people he hires for the Rangers sink or swim on their own merits.

My read (and keep in mind the Rangers were really bad for a while) is he fancies himself more of a basketball expert than a hockey expert, so he's more willing to let the people he hires for the Rangers sink or swim on their own merits.

Yeah the Rangers did go 8 years in a row without making the playoffs (one of those years being the lockout season). But yeah, I don't think he meddles as much personnel-wise with the Rangers.

Isaiah Thomas won't get moved this year. They want to holdout in case Cleveland gets major injuries.
Cleveland with Lebron is winning the East but you can't cash out now.
I don't think the Celtics are keeping the Net pick they just can't trade it till the offseason unless they could get an all star now.
Nikola Vucevic could help them make the ECF.

basically.

hockey is harder to meddle with anyway, its such a team sport. where as in the NBA 1 guy can totally make a difference. see, James, Lebron.

screenshot-2017-01-29-13-22-13.png

This is a deal I could see.

once Melo is gone, the Knicks will spend 3-5 years chasing his production and will never find it.

it will stamp them as a 3o win team for sure.

once Melo is gone, the Knicks will spend 3-5 years chasing his production and will never find it.

it will stamp them as a 3o win team for sure.

Yeah I don't get the urgency to move him if you're not getting equal production value in return. Is the hope to free up cap space to attract a free agent or two in the offseason? If so, who will that be? We've seen the Knicks routinely get spurned by the big name free agents recently, so why would that change now? Also, if you wanted cap space, maybe you shouldn't have re-upped Noah for that ridiculous contract.

Yeah I don't get the urgency to move him if you're not getting equal production value in return. Is the hope to free up cap space to attract a free agent or two in the offseason? If so, who will that be? We've seen the Knicks routinely get spurned by the big name free agents recently, so why would that change now? Also, if you wanted cap space, maybe you shouldn't have re-upped Noah for that ridiculous contract.
yep.

think I said it in this thread, but if not...the Knicks contract woes have never been Melo's fault, its the Amare, Barnarni and now Noah deals that screwed the pooch.

I think the biggest part is that by removing Melo, the Knicks can potentially move from #11 in the Lottery odds to potentially the top 3.

A smaller part is that you know you're going nowhere with Melo so you're just hoping to get whatever you can for him, whether it be cap space, a young player they like (such as Austin Rivers or potentially Marcus Smart or something), etc.

And then the other benefit is getting to see if Porzingis can handle being the go-to guy (which, if I had to guess, he can't right now).

yep.

think I said it in this thread, but if not...the Knicks contract woes have never been Melo's fault, its the Amare, Barnarni and now Noah deals that screwed the pooch.

The Amare deal I got. The Bargnani and Noah deals are franchise-killing deals that the Knicks are never able to recover from. It's been going on for forever now.

The Eddy Curry trade is what killed the Knicks the past decade.
They had cap space and wasted it.
You need to either get lucky in the draft or be like Miami and be a destination.
La Lakers never had 2 bad years in a row and they are now. It happens to all teams. Jackson giving Noah all that money was dumb though.

The Eddy Curry trade is what killed the Knicks the past decade.
They had cap space and wasted it.
You need to either get lucky in the draft or be like Miami and be a destination.
La Lakers never had 2 bad years in a row and they are now. It happens to all teams. Jackson giving Noah all that money was dumb though.

That was the first domino, but they had multiple opportunities to recover from it and have managed to repeatedly screw it up.