It's tough watching these bowl games | Syracusefan.com

It's tough watching these bowl games

You must have missed the memo that nobody cares about these lesser bowls. Not even the players. ;)

Guess you guys aren't watching. Plenty of intensity and care out there. Anyone catch the army/north texas game? Juice and the teams were playing their ballz off. Its about competing, once you line up and play, nothing else matters. Anyone downplaying the bowls is simply sour grapes of cuse sitting home. In 10 days we will be all wishing for 1 more college game.

If you are having a tough time watching these bowls, go right ahead and tune into meaningless ncaa hoops and nba games. Have fun with that.

Bowl games are the old people's version of participation trophies

Old people remember when they were rewards for exceptional seasons.

But they are helpful for programs that need a leg up. It would be good if we were in one next year. But it wouldn't increase my interest in the rest of them.

The early bowl games are what a college football Saturday in the fall would be like if no ranked teams were playing.

Last edited:
Bowl games are the old people's version of participation trophies

Old people didn't get participation trophies, they did allow you to be in the team picture though.

I absolutely get what you're saying and agree. It's funny, I did picks for fun and I was doing really well with teams I didn't know a lot about. Getting into these bowl games where I harbor emotions for or against a team... not so much lol.

I said they are exhibition games and they are. I did not say they were meaningless or that the players don't care about them... just that some players care more about their NFL careers.

I watch near every ACC bowl game. And wish we were playing in any game right now.

If you are having a tough time watching these bowls, go right ahead and tune into meaningless ncaa hoops and nba games. Have fun with that.

These are just as meaningless. Just ask Fournette or McCaffrey.

won't watch any until the playoff games. The breaking bad marathon on AMC is way more interesting, but to each their own.

Some of the games have been great to watch and competitive and very enjoyable.

The Miami/WVU is the first game I've watched. ACC vs Big XII (former rival).

Was pretty interesting to see how much more talented, bigger, stronger and faster the ACC's 6th place team was against a 10-2 Big XII team.

Also, Richt is going to have Miami back in the top 10 year in/year out. That ACC Championship may finally have some juice.

I watch almost all of them, except some of the ones on during the day when I'm at work. It's college football, and I love college football, and it's the last I'm going to taste for months. It helps when they are good or interesting games, which most of them have been.

So weird...nobody watches regular season college basketball, but nobody is saying to cancel college basketball season. Yet people that don't like college football enough to watch bowl games for some reason want them to go away. I'll never understand.

I watch almost all of them, except some of the ones on during the day when I'm at work. It's college football, and I love college football, and it's the last I'm going to taste for months. It helps when they are good or interesting games, which most of them have been.

So weird...nobody watches regular season college basketball, but nobody is saying to cancel college basketball season. Yet people that don't like college football enough to watch bowl games for some reason want them to go away. I'll never understand.

Lots of people watch regular season college basketball. Good P5 games pop decent ratings all winter long.

As for bowls, it's good content at a slow time in the sports calendar. Attendance is dreadful but they're made for TV. I think what needs to change is the decades old perception that making a bowl is meaningful. It's clearly not anymore, it's a bonus game for teams that go .500 (or a little worse). The NCAA should just let every program get those extra hours of practice and level the playing field.

For all of the complaining about "too many bowls"...just remember this is some business out there who is putting on these games and making it happen by being a sponsor. These companies wouldn't do that if it was a financial loser for them! There is money to be made for these games and it gives the kids a treat at the end of the year.

If you're an SU fan in your 20's you really only remember the whooping by GT, the two Pinstripe Bowl wins, and maybe the Insight.com bowl if you're lucky.

I yearn for the days of postseason SU football. It means something to the programs that rarely if ever have a shot at the CFP/big bowls.

Lots of people watch regular season college basketball. Good P5 games pop decent ratings all winter long.

As for bowls, it's good content at a slow time in the sports calendar. Attendance is dreadful but they're made for TV. I think what needs to change is the decades old perception that making a bowl is meaningful. It's clearly not anymore, it's a bonus game for teams that go .500 (or a little worse). The NCAA should just let every program get those extra hours of practice and level the playing field.

Actually I would prefer that playing in a bowl game be considered meaningful - it affords the kids a vacation of sorts - gifts - exposure - the chance to compete for perhaps one final time and the chance to end the season on a really positive note.

I for one feel that bowl participation is very meaningful and is a very positive experience for players and coaches.

I would prefer that we not denigrate bowl games or bowl participation and that we avoid the media-based trap of making the four team play-off the only college football post season event that should be considered meaningful. The television industry wants to transform the college championship into another Super Bowl and I for one don't feel that that is necessary or desirable.

Actually I would prefer that playing in a bowl game be considered meaningful - it affords the kids a vacation of sorts - gifts - exposure - the chance to compete for perhaps one final time and the chance to end the season on a really positive note.

I for one feel that bowl participation is very meaningful and is a very positive experience for players and coaches.

I would prefer that we not denigrate bowl games or bowl participation and that we avoid the media-based trap of making the four team play-off the only college football post season event that should be considered meaningful. The television industry wants to transform the college championship into another Super Bowl and I for one don't feel that that is necessary or desirable.

Wish I could give it a thousand likes. It's a great reward for these kids, and there's no reason it should be saved for the kids on just the best twenty or so teams. I have no earthly idea why people insist they should go away, if you don't want to watch, don't watch.

Most people don't get their nose out of shape on something just existing in other areas. I don't see people saying recording artist playing to less than 20k a night should just stop doing concerts. Women's sports should just go away because not enough people watch them. It's really bizarre the H0T Takes people have about too many bowls. They're free, if you want them. You don't have to take them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom