Jacob Hill | Syracusefan.com

Jacob Hill

SUFan44

Hall of Fame
Just realized he hadn't played at all this year.

Know he's a walkon, but he does have speed and I feel like in this offense he could potentially be utilized somewhere.

Anyone know if he might have a chance to play? Is he redshirting this year?

Doubt Dino wants to redshirt a walk-on.

But he's probably not worse at returning kicks than the guy we're using now, so I'd be happy to see him back there.

he ran back kicks last year didnt he? could be simple as ball security though.

Doubt Dino wants to redshirt a walk-on.

But he's probably not worse at returning kicks than the guy we're using now, so I'd be happy to see him back there.

I don't think that a coach designates who is a redshirt or that there is some sort of filing process.

Red shirting is determined by whether a kid plays or not. If he doesn't play or he plays below some limit, than I think he retains that year of eligibility.

The phrase I have heard is that a player "burns his red shirt" if he plays, which means he uses up one of the years of eligibility he has. If he doesn't use it, he still has four years, but they have to be within five years.

he plays below some limit, than I think he retains that year of eligibility.

If you come in for one play and never play again, you've used that year's eligibility just as if you've started and played in all 12 games.

If you come in for one play and never play again, you've used that year's eligibility just as if you've started and played in all 12 games.

If you say so.

That idea that there's some maximum number of games someone can play and not have the year be one of the four may be tied to the "Medical Redshirting" concept. And that is something that needs to be applied for with NCAA and approved by them

If you say so.

That idea that there's some maximum number of games someone can play and not have the year be one of the four may be tied to the "Medical Redshirting" concept. And that is something that needs to be applied for with NCAA and approved by them
a medical redshirt (technically a medical hardship waiver) stipulates that you must be injured such that you are incapacitated and have played less than 30% of your team's games in the particular season. If that happens, you can apply for the medical hardship waiver and get that year back.

The ordinary redshirt simply means going an entire season without competing in a game. The second you step on the field for a game, you have burned the redshirt. You are correct in that there is no application process or anything - simply not playing automatically preserves that year of eligibility. You have 5 years to exhaust 4 years of eligibility, absent a hardship waiver.

a medical redshirt (technically a medical hardship waiver) stipulates that you must be injured such that you are incapacitated and have played less than 30% of your team's games in the particular season. If that happens, you can apply for the medical hardship waiver and get that year back.

The ordinary redshirt simply means going an entire season without competing in a game. The second you step on the field for a game, you have burned the redshirt. You are correct in that there is no application process or anything - simply not playing automatically preserves that year of eligibility. You have 5 years to exhaust 4 years of eligibility, absent a hardship waiver.

Nice to hear from someone who knows.

Does it have to be the freshman year that a player doesn't play? Of could a player in his freshman year, not play in his soph years and still have three years of eligibility left?

You have 5 years to exhaust 4 years of eligibility, absent a hardship waiver.

Think of a redshirt as a "get out of jail free card". Everyone gets one to use if necessary.

It's a great thing to have if you get injured.

The problem is, every school routinely redshirts perfectly healthy freshmen. Granted, you get an extra year in the S&C program. The trade off is that you lose your redshirt card in the event you get hurt later on.

Look at Cordy and Dowels...

Both were Class of 2014 recruits. Their 5 year windows end after 2018.

Cordy played as a true frosh in 2014, and as a soph in 2015. Since he only played 2 games in 2016, he can apply to have 2016 reclassified as a redshirt, and he'll have 2017 and 2018 left. Assuming that he doesn't get hurt again, he'll have played 4 seasons out of 5.

Dowels used his redshirt in 2014. Even though he only played 2 games in 2016, the NCAA can't do anything for him. He'll have 2017 and 2018 left. He'll end up only playing 3 seasons out of 5.

There is always an exception to the rule.

If you're forced to redshirt due to injury or illness, or circumstances beyond your control, and you later have to miss a second season due to injury or illness, the NCAA has been known to grant you a 6th year of eligibility (basically, a 2nd redshirt year).

If you took a redshirt due to a coaches decision, you're not eligible.

Last edited:
Nice to hear from someone who knows.

Does it have to be the freshman year that a player doesn't play? Of could a player in his freshman year, not play in his soph years and still have three years of eligibility left?

You can sit out any one of your 5 years.

See Custis.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom