Jake Moreland New TE Coach at Syracuse | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Jake Moreland New TE Coach at Syracuse

this hire is followed up by a solid South Florida hire after NSD or else I will be convinced ( or more then I am now) that Shafer doesn't have a clue.
The press release implied there'd be no changes on the offensive staff.

You need to read the entire thread.

The need for a Florida recruiter was mentioned a number of times.

That's one of the reasons the thread is as long as it is.

But I'm starting to think that McDonald is way overrated as a recruiter.

His recruits are dropping like flies due to academics or change of heart.
Overrated at Syracuse, definitely but he was a face that coaches knew when he pulled up to campuses to see kids.
I fear that SS with the HC duties and Lester dealing with his first season as OC won't have the time to put in work in Fla.

cuseguy said:
You need to read the entire thread. The need for a Florida recruiter was mentioned a number of times. That's one of the reasons the thread is as long as it is. But I'm starting to think that McDonald is way overrated as a recruiter. His recruits are dropping like flies due to academics or change of heart.

My bad was skimming at the game. And I do agree about McDonald. Still sometbing is better then nothig.

Overrated at Syracuse, definitely but he was a face that coaches knew when he pulled up to campuses to see kids.
I fear that SS with the HC duties and Lester dealing with his first season as OC won't have the time to put in work in Fla.

Well recruiting at a high level at a school like Syracuse would make one a good recruiter. How fkin hard is it to recruit at Miami?

How has nobody mentioned that we basically just gave up So. Florida recruiting? I could care
less how good of a TE coach he is. So what,
no TE coach is that much better then the other at this level. I don't expect all-league performances from Parris next year regardless of who coaches them. This position coach should be able to recruit...meaning having a specific area. Rigt now it's either Atlanta, Alabama, the Midwest, or whole Northeast. I'll say again if we follow this hire up with someone with deep So Florida ties then it's whatever, but at this point we are basically getting out of the area, which I heard before was an option (that I was hoping wasn't true). Even if Rocco replaced Eric White, it's isn't enogh since support staff coaches can't be out in the field recruiting, it has to be someone on the 10 man staff.

Florida or Georgia, If we get the same numbers out of Georgia what's the difference?

Coach P caught a lot of flack for his Connecticut mafia hires during his tenure.

Hope this turns out as well, but the clock is ticking.

Yeah, guys like Addazio.

Don't get too riled up with these guys. Most of them campaigned for ERIC WHITE to be the WR coach. In one ear and out the other

Well, since I started the Eric White train for WR coach hire (by just mentioning his name), I may as well weigh in:

- It's a good hire. Strong position coach with NFL experience playing the position, so he will have validity in the living room. My concern is that recruiting at Air Force requires you to eliminate kids almost immediately if they don't want to go in the service, so can he evaluate and beat the big boys?

- I always believed WR coach is a recruiting position and now our best recruiter is coaching the position as well as getting the recruiting coordinator title. Makes me happy.

- Adam is now moved to the interior OL. Like it b/c that unit was borderline horrid at run blocking last year. Like the amount of time the OL's will be coached now. Whether its quality coaching remains to be seen, but like the staff structure.

- I don't see how this staff is removed after next year. Even Greg Robinson got 4 years.

- I am concerned about Florida recruiting.

Feel free to continue your lecture from you internet soapbox. However, you completely missed my point. My problem is with the entire football program as led by SS. He should never have been the coach and continues to prove this with week after week, regardless of whether it is in season or out of season. Gross panicked and if you knew the stories on how he was hired you'd be shocked. Finally, if you don't believe the sky is falling, wait until you see another sub .500 season next year. As I said previously, it unfortunately appears things need to get worse before they get better.

I'm not on my "internet soapbox". Can't help but laugh out loud at that one.

This is a big year for Shafer & Co; everyone knows that.

You apparently know the outcome of the 2015 season (going to be sub .500), so while you're at it, look at your crystal ball and give me the winning numbers for next week's Power Ball.

I don't know how relevant this would be…but I have been using Air Force as my team vs. my 7-year-old son on XBox College Football for a couple months now. They have a great home field on the game, terrific set of plays, and we usually put up a fight. The other day we beat Bama.

Today my son was Baylor. I lost 39-32 in a heart-breaker, the read-option was too much for my future aviators.

BUT, I just realized that the BEST player on Air Force is their Tight End. He's unstoppable. Down the middle, over the middle, out patterns. Today he had 9 catches for over 200 yards in our loss. Three TDs. And then it dawned on me, we just hired this young man's coach.

This new guy sure can coach up XBox talent. I think this should be considered in any evaluation.
My takeaway is that your 7 year-old is kicking your butt on a regular basis. Sounds like me with my nephew!

Last edited:
Feel free to continue your lecture from you internet soapbox. However, you completely missed my point. My problem is with the entire football program as led by SS. He should never have been the coach and continues to prove this with week after week, regardless of whether it is in season or out of season. Gross panicked and if you knew the stories on how he was hired you'd be shocked. Finally, if you don't believe the sky is falling, wait until you see another sub .500 season next year. As I said previously, it unfortunately appears things need to get worse before they get better.
That's just your personal opinion, others happen to disagree, you don't seem to understand reality, that you might be wrong. After next season we will see whether you were right or not, until then others have as much right as you to express their opinion.

What SU needs most is a good offense next year. A TE coach who can teach a TE in a 12 offense system. Both pass recieving and run / pass blocking, not many good / great coaches out there. If this does not work he will not have a job next year. He is taking a chance on us also. There is a lot of room for things to change befor next seasion starts. Sit back, enjoy the ride you might just like it in the end!

These "if you knew what I know" posts drive me nuts. If you have something to say just say it.

Y'all keep forgetting that Shafer used to recruit South Florida and has a lot of contacts down there. Lester already recruits N. Fl, what's to keep him from expanding his territory using Shafers connections.

- Adam is now moved to the interior OL. Like it b/c that unit was borderline horrid at run blocking last year. Like the amount of time the OL's will be coached now. Whether its quality coaching remains to be seen, but like the staff structure.

How is this a positive. You said yourself the OL was terrible and he was the coach. So moving him from coaching the most disappointing unit last year to coaching the worst part of that unit is a good move?

B8KE6jKIcAAEDaZ.jpg:large

I don't know where Moreland is going to be responsible for recruiting, but i think he is going to kill it. Big handsome dude. NFL experience. First time with major program (should make him hungry). Spent time at a service academy so he should appeal to "old school-respect types."

Go get'em coach!

I appreciate this point of view, and largely agree with it. But you have to admit, to the large irrationally orange tinted glasses portion of the board (I'm not saying you are one of those), the "withhold judgment until we see what the new offense looks like in September" will turn into "the season has just started and the offense needs time to gel" which will turn into "Lester just needs time to grow into the position, he'll be fine" by October and "oh man if not for this penalty and that drop and this interception these 3 games that looked like blowouts were really toss ups" in November. By the end of the season they will be saying how such good people the coaches are and we are lucky to have them and they should get another year because next year is the one it all comes together.

My broader point is that there is equal folly in being fatalistic and blindly optimistic (not referring to you Rocco, I think you are one of the more level headed ones around). Moves can be evaluated in time and context, while at the same time acknowledging the ultimate outcome remains to be seen. Having doubts about a move/hire does not make one a bad fan, and blindly shouting down any opinion short of absolute support does not make one a superior fan.

I'm on record as doubting this hire. I find it concerning that he has spent over ten, mostly unremarkable, years coaching TE's and has not had his services sought by other schools. I find some of the justifications written here to be hilariously forced and pained. But the bottom line is that I do hope he succeeds. However, it is possible to hope for the best and to expect the worst.

And yet, the eventual outcome will likely be neither the best nor the worst.

The difficulty is determining what might be the most realistic.