Jake Moreland New TE Coach at Syracuse | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Jake Moreland New TE Coach at Syracuse

Yet the guy never has a problem getting hired. He may have been over his head as an OC but I've never heard he couldn't coach nor recruit.

I guess he's like Greg Robinson in that respect.

Honestly, how can people be disappointed in a solid coach for a position we didnt know we were hiring? Are people upset because he's not a name they've seen mentioned here? Because no one even discussed a new TE coach knowing we weren't letting Acosta go and thus the convo was all about potential WR coaches vs moving Acosta over. If we'd discussed potential TE coaches this guys name wouldve been mentioned.

I'm speaking for others but people are disappointed because Shafer didn't hire somebody who has a strong history of coaching and recruiting in the ACC region.
He might be a great TE coach but his experience doesn't exactly stand out right now when you compare him to coaches at other schools on SU's schedule.
And the fact that he's got apparently minimal experience in recruiting in the ACC, that's a big disappointment. It's difficult to downplay that.
So SU is coming off a really really tough season, a new offense is being implemented, the ACC isn't getting any weaker, and rather than hiring a proven commodity, Shafer hires a guy from his coaching tree.
I'm not going to jump off a cliff but this right now looks disappointing.

Honestly, how can people be disappointed in a solid coach for a position we didnt know we were hiring? Are people upset because he's not a name they've seen mentioned here? Because no one even discussed a new TE coach knowing we weren't letting Acosta go and thus the convo was all about potential WR coaches vs moving Acosta over. If we'd discussed potential TE coaches this guys name wouldve been mentioned.

Maybe you all were. Some of us suggested that Acosta was moving to WR long before this announcement;)

They're upset because the guy's name isn't Rocco and he didn't coach at St Thomas Aquinas...who still remains a guy that no one is sure wanted to relocate back to Syracuse anyway.

RMH44 said:
What has happened to you? You've gone from a "must read" poster to slamming the staff's every move...and now hoping for a season's ending injury for an opponent. Wow.

Stomach flu off and on for 3 weeks.

I think The Cusian knew I was joking. (As Hunt being out was the biggest reason they beat us).

And for the record, I'm not slamming the choice of this assistant. I hope a solid, proven TE coach is what we need.

I'm just pessimistic on a 6 win season for the first time in a long time. Combo of schedule, losses (on D), changing the O which takes time and is unfortunate to have to do so 2 years into a new regime.

But for a real toast, here's to me eating crow. I'd love to.

He has tons of regional recruiting connections, just not In the area that all the apperent college coaching legands on this board think they should be in.

And passing stats fall more on the qb and wr coach. Having pass catching tight ends is great if they can also run block. This coaches tight ends blocked for the 9th best rushing attack in the country last year. That is a cool 88 spots higher than ours last year. With the RB talent coming in I really hope we tailor the offense to them. This hire will help that immediately.
Cuse isn't installing the triple option. that might have had something to do with them being so far ahead of them in rushing offense.

GoSU96 said:
I guess he's like Greg Robinson in that respect.

I guess so since the people that hire them know infinitely more than you or I.

Spot on. Not sure many understand this. Recruiting doesn't mean a damn if this crew doesn't get to a bowl next year.
Totally agree - if Shafer is on the clock then it's all about execution in 2015, so while new guy does not have strong regional recruiting ties, if he can make TE's effective in Lester's offense, then that is what will be judged in 2015.

Also have to give Lester credit, he has a coaching tree of his own going on with Joe Adam coaching OL & Moreland w/TE's... so that leaves 3 of the 5 position areas on offense controlled by either Lester himself (QB's) or someone close to him (Adam & Moreland). McDonald either has a limited tree or whatever recommendations he brought to the table for hires at OL & TE's were not strong enough to make the cut.

IMO Shafer is all in on Lester and time will tell -

You guys kill me. So he coaches at a team who's oc is a run first oc and now he can't coach a te. He can't recruit ,the team won ten last year after he has been there for 4 years I'm guessing their ten win season may have had a couple kids he recruited. You guys will never know what you have in this staff. This team had a three win season and is bringing in 4 or 5 states top position players. This coach hasn't even had a chance to have a team he recruited everyone to. This team was better than 3 wins and injuries destroyed a season. You guys kill me...

Hey Bam - its best to stay out of threads like this, they are based on little facts but on idealistic notions fans have of where the SU program should be. I would guess that very, very few of those on this board knows the strategy that this SU coaching staff is implementing. Its just fans being fans, arguing their (pointless?) points. Don't let it get to you - the proof will be in the pudding as they say. Can't wait to see how next year develops with the addition of Moreland and our new recruits.

Dude - I understand the disappointment that they did not hire a coach that is "blazing trails", but if you think about how he fits into the new offensive scheme, it makes more and more sense. We are employing a bigger look with an increased emphasis on TEs. This guy was a TE in college and briefly in the NFL, and has now coached TEs for several years. He brings in a lot of experience at that position, which will undoubtedly add value. Whether or not that value will equate to wins remains to be seen.

Please just try to refrain from the "sky is falling" attitude. It's not.

Feel free to continue your lecture from you internet soapbox. However, you completely missed my point. My problem is with the entire football program as led by SS. He should never have been the coach and continues to prove this with week after week, regardless of whether it is in season or out of season. Gross panicked and if you knew the stories on how he was hired you'd be shocked. Finally, if you don't believe the sky is falling, wait until you see another sub .500 season next year. As I said previously, it unfortunately appears things need to get worse before they get better.

I don't know how relevant this would be…but I have been using Air Force as my team vs. my 7-year-old son on XBox College Football for a couple months now. They have a great home field on the game, terrific set of plays, and we usually put up a fight. The other day we beat Bama.

Today my son was Baylor. I lost 39-32 in a heart-breaker, the read-option was too much for my future aviators.

BUT, I just realized that the BEST player on Air Force is their Tight End. He's unstoppable. Down the middle, over the middle, out patterns. Today he had 9 catches for over 200 yards in our loss. Three TDs. And then it dawned on me, we just hired this young man's coach.

This new guy sure can coach up XBox talent. I think this should be considered in any evaluation.

Feel free to continue your lecture from you internet soapbox. However, you completely missed my point. My problem is with the entire football program as led by SS. He should never have been the coach and continues to prove this with week after week, regardless of whether it is in season or out of season. Gross panicked and if you knew the stories on how he was hired you'd be shocked. Finally, if you don't believe the sky is falling, wait until you see another sub .500 season next year. As I said previously, it unfortunately appears things need to get worse before they get better.

Enough already...
Beating_A_Dead_Horse_by_livius.gif

this is a SOLID position coach hire - especially a TE coach.

i wouldnt rail on his recruiting prowess now until we A) research what his territories were for WMU and AirForce. Where did he recruit for WMU? and B) see how he actually does recruiting

Also, while Rocco is a 'sexy' name hire, this guy is actually an experienced college coach. people have been tossing around high school names and a staff admin to be the next coach. I dont mind Rocco or Toal or someone like that joining the staff but give me a break.

I suggested they move Acosta to WR and Adam to TE and hire an OL coach. Thats still what I'd have prefered but to me (all other things considered) this seems like a pretty good/solid hire. Its a freaking TE coach.

Last edited:
rrlbees said:
That was the reason for our injuries??

I think you'd have to look at the injuries on the line and wonder if smaller quicker doesn't contribute to it. But who can ever say for sure? Injuries are weird things.

leftytg said:
I appreciate this point of view, and largely agree with it. But you have to admit, to the large irrationally orange tinted glasses portion of the board (I'm not saying you are one of those), the "withhold judgment until we see what the new offense looks like in September" will turn into "the season has just started and the offense needs time to gel" which will turn into "Lester just needs time to grow into the position, he'll be fine" by October and "oh man if not for this penalty and that drop and this interception these 3 games that looked like blowouts were really toss ups" in November. By the end of the season they will be saying how such good people the coaches are and we are lucky to have them and they should get another year because next year is the one it all comes together. My broader point is that there is equal folly in being fatalistic and blindly optimistic (not referring to you Rocco, I think you are one of the more level headed ones around). Moves can be evaluated in time and context, while at the same time acknowledging the ultimate outcome remains to be seen. Having doubts about a move/hire does not make one a bad fan, and blindly shouting down any opinion short of absolute support does not make one a superior fan. I'm on record as doubting this hire. I find it concerning that he has spent over ten, mostly unremarkable, years coaching TE's and has not had his services sought by other schools. I find some of the justifications written here to be hilariously forced and pained. But the bottom line is that I do hope he succeeds. However, it is possible to hope for the best and to expect the worst.

I think optimism is just a better way to be a fan - - especially in the offseason. Looking at everything critically is fine. Not believing things will get better or writing off the season is for losers.

As for this coach - I think it's far from a homerun. But I'll reserve judgement.

How has nobody mentioned that we basically just gave up So. Florida recruiting? I could care
less how good of a TE coach he is. So what,
no TE coach is that much better then the other at this level. I don't expect all-league performances from Parris next year regardless of who coaches them. This position coach should be able to recruit...meaning having a specific area. Rigt now it's either Atlanta, Alabama, the Midwest, or whole Northeast. I'll say again if we follow this hire up with someone with deep So Florida ties then it's whatever, but at this point we are basically getting out of the area, which I heard before was an option (that I was hoping wasn't true). Even if Rocco replaced Eric White, it's isn't enogh since support staff coaches can't be out in the field recruiting, it has to be someone on the 10 man staff.

anomander said:
How has nobody mentioned that we basically just gave up So. Florida recruiting? I could care less how good of a TE coach he is. So what, no TE coach is that much better then the other at this level. I don't expect all-league performances from Parris next year regardless of who coaches them. This position coach should be able to recruit...meaning having a specific area. Rigt now it's either Atlanta, Alabama, the Midwest, or whole Northeast. I'll say again if we follow this hire up with someone with deep So Florida ties then it's whatever, but at this point we are basically getting out of the area, which I heard before was an option (that I was hoping wasn't true). Even if Rocco replaced Eric White, it's isn't enogh since support staff coaches can't be out in the field recruiting, it has to be someone on the 10 man staff.

You need to read the entire thread.

The need for a Florida recruiter was mentioned a number of times.

That's one of the reasons the thread is as long as it is.

But I'm starting to think that McDonald is way overrated as a recruiter.

His recruits are dropping like flies due to academics or change of heart.