Class of 2015 - Jamel Dean is now open to a new school | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 Jamel Dean is now open to a new school

retro44

Living Legend
OSU decided they no longer wants the kid after he left high school early to show up for spring ball, but is still recovering from an earlier knee injury.

His high school coach is really pissed at Urban for telling the kid they wanted to enroll early. Dean's coach is saying the kid should still be in high school.

might be worth looking into as he is from Cocoa,Fla.

OSU decided they no longer wants the kid after he left high school early to show up for spring ball, but is still recovering from an earlier knee injury.

His high school coach is really pissed at Urban for telling the kid they wanted to enroll early. Dean's coach is saying the kid should still be in high school.

might be worth looking into as he is from Cocoa,Fla.
If someone doesn't qualify, I think we would have room for him. If everyone qualifies, the best we could offer would be a preferred walk-on spot. But yeah, if the stars align and there isn't anything wonky going on, by all means talk to him.

If someone doesn't qualify, I think we would have room for him. If everyone qualifies, the best we could offer would be a preferred walk-on spot. But yeah, if the stars align and there isn't anything wonky going on, by all means talk to him.

Since he was an early enrolling at OSU would he be considered a 2014 or 2015?

Since he was an early enrolling at OSU would he be considered a 2014 or 2015?
Doesn't matter IMO. For us he would be considered 2015 because he is a new scholarship. Not sure about his eligibility clock.

Doesn't matter IMO. For us he would be considered 2015 because he is a new scholarship. Not sure about his eligibility clock.
Since he was being forced out by OSU it might warrant special considerations by the NCAA.

Blood boiling Urban I hope that HS coach has a 5 star you want next season 'Cause you are not getting him. Worst pear is he probably calculates this out and never does it to kids from football factory schools only thr one off schools that have a great team every 10 years hes just a nice guy like that.

Any more info about this kid, level Of play ratings, measurables? I dont think we have room but im interested to hear where he ends up.

Any more info about this kid, level Of play ratings, measurables? I dont think we have room but im interested to hear where he ends up.[/QUOTE

This kid is a 4-5* kid. Plays corner and safety, offers from florida,FSU, Miami, everybody. His school (cocoa high) sends 2-3 kids per year to high d1 schools. Folsom the RB from Norte dame is from that school. This school is definitely a factory in east central florida. They have 2 more 5* kids next year.

Florange44

Read the article. Apparently the kid's got a knee injury, or had, that made the OSU med staff disqualify him. OSU will still pay for his education via a medical hardship scholly. A Dr Andrews says the kid can play, he just needs a while to rehab.

Don't like Urban Meyer, but he's probably doing the right thing here.

Read the article. Apparently the kid's got a knee injury, or had, that made the OSU med staff disqualify him. OSU will still pay for his education via a medical hardship scholly. A Dr Andrews says the kid can play, he just needs a while to rehab.

Don't like Urban Meyer, but he's probably doing the right thing here.

The problem for me with this is that Urban over recruited and if there was a concern about Deans' recovery OSU could have had him defer his recruitment. Remember there was a plan with Perkins to defer his recruitment when it looked like he wouldn't be ready and then there is Ginnetti who reclassified to 2016.

The problem for me with this is that Urban over recruited and if there was a concern about Deans' recovery OSU could have had him defer his recruitment. Remember there was a plan with Perkins to defer his recruitment when it looked like he wouldn't be ready and then there is Ginnetti who reclassified to 2016.
That would have been the honorable thing to do. I suppose OSU didn't know the extent of the injury until Dean's team physical in January. Or maybe they did. I wish there was more to go on. My personal opinion is that the kid REALLY wants to play, and OSU isn't as enamored with Dean as they used to be. The medical hardship scholly they offered is nothing more than a means to not look like bastards.

It'll be interesting to see if another team picks him up.

That would have been the honorable thing to do. I suppose OSU didn't know the extent of the injury until Dean's team physical in January. Or maybe they did. I wish there was more to go on. My personal opinion is that the kid REALLY wants to play, and OSU isn't as enamored with Dean as they used to be. The medical hardship scholly they offered is nothing more than a means to not look like bastards.

It'll be interesting to see if another team picks him up.

I'm going to guess that he will have to go the prep route. If he can prove that he can play maybe he will get an offer but not necessarily from a D1.

I'm going to guess that he will have to go the prep route. If he can prove that he can play maybe he will get an offer but not necessarily from a D1.
Probably so. Maybe an NAIA school.

seems to a tactic he used at florida also .....
One way of ridding a program of undesirables is roster management. Recruiting is the lifeblood of all programs. A direct correlation exists between winning at recruiting and winning on fall Saturdays.

Few do it better than Meyer. Few are as ruthless when it comes to recruiting—and when it comes to making room for recruits. Thomas was a four-star recruit from Zephyrhills, Fla., and had a series of knee injuries hinder his development.

After the 2008 season, Thomas says he was told he had to “move on” because he wasn’t in the team’s plans for 2009.

Ohio State recruits like idea of Meyer as coach

“I told (Meyer) I was on track to graduate, I wasn’t a problem and I did everything I was supposed to do—I just had a knee injury,” Thomas said. “I told them I wasn’t leaving, and if they tried to force me to leave, I was going to tell everyone everything."

The next day, Thomas says he was given a medical hardship letter by position coach Chuck Heater stating Thomas had an injury that would prohibit him from playing football. The medical hardship scholarship doesn’t count against the NCAA limit of 85, and allows the affected player to stay on academic scholarship.

It also made room for another recruit. Meyer denied this tactic of roster management.

Just because one school medically disqualifies a student, it doesn't mean that they can't be cleared by another school. If Ohio St did this, then it's shady as hell. Keeping a kid on academic scholarship doesn't cost them, but even if the kid transfers, he'll have to sit a year.

Well considering in the last few years he signed 9 corner backs and 6 safeties he has quite a log jam back there. He just looked at who he could clear the easiest and what makes this even worse the kid could still be going to high school and rehabbing without having a staff member breathing down his back saying men play hurt all the time.

Didn't Archeneiga or how ever he spells his name just got back a few years from the NCAA.

Well considering in the last few years he signed 9 corner backs and 6 safeties he has quite a log jam back there. He just looked at who he could clear the easiest and what makes this even worse the kid could still be going to high school and rehabbing without having a staff member breathing down his back saying men play hurt all the time.

Didn't Archeneiga or how ever he spells his name just got back a few years from the NCAA.

Arciniega.. and yes he just got two years.