Jan. 3rd return date for DC2? | Syracusefan.com

Jan. 3rd return date for DC2?

2-3zone

2nd String
Just throwing out a date with DC2 now running and jumping and doing non-contact basketball activities.

Even though DC2 will be rusty when he does come back we could really use another big body behind Rak because Chino won't be playing vs. good teams this year

As someone who spends a fair amount of time around the Melo center...I've observed him working up quite a sweat working on drills with Hopkins and others. He's looking so much more mobile than he was. I would be surprised if he didn't come back at some point this season.

Just throwing out a date with DC2 now running and jumping and doing non-contact basketball activities.

Even though DC2 will be rusty when he does come back we could really use another big body behind Rak because Chino won't be playing vs. good teams this year

How long will his knees last????

He didnt even participate in pre game warm ups before Iowa? I think he is still a couple months away...

As someone who spends a fair amount of time around the Melo center...I've observed him working up quite a sweat working on drills with Hopkins and others. He's looking so much more mobile than he was. I would be surprised if he didn't come back at some point this season.

Thanks! Really appreciate the first hand account!

For the kids sake, I hope he only comes back when 100% ready. For the teams sake, DC2 can eat up 5 fouls, resting Cmac and Rak.

For the kids sake, I hope he only comes back when 100% ready. For the teams sake, DC2 can eat up 5 fouls, resting Cmac and Rak.

But if all we're looking for is 5 fouls, Chino can provide that without blowing a year of DC's career or rushing him back and risking his health. If he is to come back, it has to be because he'll be a solid contributor, otherwise it isn't worth the downside to him.

Another reason to bring him back is to see if he can play at all. I'm not sure waiting another year will make a difference. Either his knee is going to hold up or it isn't. SU can't wait another year to find out if Coleman will be able to play. It could have long term ramifications for the program. It could be the difference in getting Bryant or not.

But if all we're looking for is 5 fouls, Chino can provide that without blowing a year of DC's career or rushing him back and risking his health. If he is to come back, it has to be because he'll be a solid contributor, otherwise it isn't worth the downside to him.

Agreed. And I haven't seen evidence that Obokoh can't do that as well as Coleman can.

But I think they're bringing Coleman back. Hope it works out well for him (and the team, too).

Another reason to bring him back is to see if he can play at all. I'm not sure waiting another year will make a difference. Either his knee is going to hold up or it isn't. SU can't wait another year to find out if Coleman will be able to play. It could have long term ramifications for the program. It could be the difference in getting Bryant or not.
It's good to know we have an orthopedic soothsayer among us.

At what point in the schedule is it too late to play a couple of games and still preserve the redshirt if necessary?

At what point in the schedule is it too late to play a couple of games and still preserve the redshirt if necessary?
Pretty sure you can't play the end of the year (games in March through end of season) and still be granted a medical redshirt. You have to apply for a medical redshirt and have played less than 1/3 or 1/4 (can't remember exact figure) of the games. They key is you have to prove the athlete's season ended due to injury. Ended and Injury.

He should only come back if he's healthy.

That said, I'm thinking that we would be seeing more Chino if he wasn't expected back at some point.

Sit him out. We're not going anywhere this year, Rak and McCullough will be gone next year, and I guess I still think the guy has much more potential than being a big body who can "eat up 5 fouls" for half a year. That just seems like a waste.

I'd rather have him back next year, full strength, and hopefully developing into the big time post player we thought he would...on a talented team that will desperately need that type of veteran post player. And then he'd still have another year after that!

Why rush it and waste a year to be a backup C on a mediocre team, for half of a season?

Last edited:
Cannot imagine he will be back this year, at least effectively. He had a serious knee injury.

Sit him out. We're not going anywhere this year, Rak and McCullough will be gone next year, and I guess I still think the guy has much more potential than being a big body who can "eat up 5 fouls" for half a year. That just seems like a waste.

I'd rather have him back next year, full strength, and hopefully developing into the big time post player we thought he would...on a talented team that will desperately need that type of veteran post player. And then he'd still have another year after that!

Why rush it and waste a year to be a backup C on a mediocre team, for half of a season?

good post. Those two will certainly be gone and that leaves us with just Chino and Diagne to play center. Jim wont even put Chino out there when we are desperate it seems, he would rather wear out our best player and have him playing against guys weighing 60 pounds more than him. We are going to be filthy deep at guard and swing next year, but center will be a black hole. DC2 will be needed.

Use the redshirt. IF he comes back in the first week of January, he wouldn't be in game shape or able to contribute much until probably a month after that. That gives us a backup Center for a month or month and a half. That hardly seems worth it for a full year of eligibility, especially considering our future Center hopes are heavily dependent on whether or not Bryant commits.

Having Coleman at backup Center will not be a game changer. If the team is doing really well at the point he might be able to come back, then they'll continue to do well. If they're performing poorly, his return wouldn't turn things around.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just out of curiosity, hows hows his weight looking??

Agree. Better to have him back next year and the following year than to waste him on what could be a risk for him and not a pay off for the team this season.

I fully support SU's apparent loyalty to the guy, but a couple of difficult questions-

Weren't DC's knees swelling up intermittently in recent months? If so, was/is that due to less than completely successful surgeries, an expected but harmless side effect of the surgeries, or unrelated altogether?

And in the brief time we actually got to see him play, his game seemed in some ways to be awful. He'd get stripped by anyone due to his ball positioning habits, and seemed to display very little of the offensive versatility he showed in high school, and in some of those King of Kings-type games, where he absolutely stuffed the stat sheet (I know those games aren't exactly Division 1 contests, but still). Is there any indication that he's been working on those things, even if he's not even allowed to touch a basketball, practically?

Definitely down with him waiting another year, but I can see the appeal in having some more bulk this year.