Jason Collins: first openly gay athlete in US Sports history | Syracusefan.com

Jason Collins: first openly gay athlete in US Sports history

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was just a matter of time before a professional team-athlete would come out of the closet while still an active player, but it still took a lot of courage. I wonder what difference it will make going forward in his career. I wish him well as this plays out.

Great article and thanks for sharing it. I am truly hopeful his reception next year is better than he could hope for.

It was just a matter of time before a professional team-athlete would come out of the closet while still an active player, but it still took a lot of bravery. I wonder what difference it will make going forward in his career. I wish him well as this plays out.
Honestly I believe we will find out soon, because he is a free agent this offseason. Hopefully the effect is negligible.

Your title is off.

There have been plenty of gay athletes, even some from major sports leagues (John Amaechi being the most famous previously), but I think he is the first gay athlete that came out while still active in a major US sport league.

Is it weird that the most shocking part of that story for me, is that his twin brother didn't know?

Your title is off.

There have been plenty of gay athletes, even some from major sports leagues (John Amaechi being the most famous previously), but I think he is the first gay athlete that came out while still active in a major US sport league.

You're right - I should have the word "active" in there.

Ok, this is big, don't get me wrong, but general acceptance of alternative lifestyles is rather high these days... He is the first man from a major US team sport actively playing. But, aren't there at least some female basketball pros out these days? Tennis players too, right? Martina? Many before him have laid the foundation of acceptance for J.Collins to come out, and in times where courage to do so was much much greater...

The climate has certainly changed, but there is still plenty of bigotry and intolerance out there.

SI already had to remove the comments section of the published article.

Ok, this is big, don't get me wrong, but general acceptance of alternative lifestyles is rather high these days... He is the first man from a major US team sport actively playing. But, aren't there at least some female basketball pros out these days? Tennis players too, right? Martina? Many before him have laid the foundation of acceptance for J.Collins to come out, and in times where courage to do so was much much greater...

I'm not sure if Martina Navratoliva was openly gay during her playing days, but I would argue that being a lesbian in women's tennis or women's basketball and being an openly gay man in a major male American professional sport are two COMPLETELY different things.

Jason Collins is literally guaranteed to be harassed because of this. I'm sure there are thousands of people writing him hate mail as we speak, and I'm sure some teammates will be uncomfortable around him, and that he will face hostility and slurs during road games. He's a hero in my book any way you slice it.

But you're right, tolerance of homosexuality in this country is at an all-time high, which is outstanding.

My memory is that Billy Jean KIng was probably the first "name athlete" to come out, but she was actually "outed" by a former girlfriend, so it is not the same thing. Martina was an interesting story. It was pretty common knowledge that she was a lesbian, but she went through some elaborate pretenses to the contrary ... until she became a US citizen. In the climate then, she was afraid of being denied US citizenship because homosexuality was considered a "moral issue" back then. As a society, we've come a long way.

The climate has certainly changed, but there is still plenty of bigotry and intolerance out there.

SI already had to remove the comments section of the published article.
I concur Scotty... Maybe I am a little jaded by circumstances. Southern California has, I would imagine, a must higher percentage of gay/lesbian presence when compared nationally... There are whole cities like W. Hollywood and industries like TV/Film that are gay driven here...

Great response from Kobe on this one. Got this from the ESPN story.

"Proud of @jasoncollins34," the tweet read. "Don't suffocate who u r because of the ignorance of others #courage #support #mambaarmystandup #BYOU"

Good for Kobe. Hopefully we don't get a bunch of stupid off handed comments from young dumb players.

I'm not sure if Martina Navratoliva was openly gay during her playing days, but I would argue that being a lesbian in women's tennis or women's basketball and being an openly gay man in a major male American professional sport are two COMPLETELY different things.

Jason Collins is literally guaranteed to be harassed because of this. I'm sure there are thousands of people writing him hate mail as we speak, and I'm sure some teammates will be uncomfortable around him, and that he will face hostility and slurs during road games. He's a hero in my book any way you slice it.

But you're right, tolerance of homosexuality in this country is at an all-time high, which is outstanding.

You're probably right there, it's not like he's a womens golfer...:)

Britney Griner casually came out, like, a week ago. That news came and went without much coverage that I could see.

I look forward to the day when we can say the same thing about a male athlete coming out, but this is a necessary step and I applaud Collins for taking it.

He is a 34 year journeyman I'm not sure he will/or would be in the league next year regardless of whether or not he came out. I wish him well.

Good for Jason. Unfortunately there will be a backlash from the close minded Tim Hardaway types out there.

Good for him. Everyone deserves to be comfortable in their own skin.

I am concerned if this will cost him a chance with another NBA team. Lotta knuckle-draggers out there still...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom