Jason Collins: first openly gay athlete in US Sports history | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Jason Collins: first openly gay athlete in US Sports history

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's no worse hypocrite than the anti abortionist who would let a woman die rather than have an abortion. To value the POTENTIAL life of the fetus more highly than an actual living sentinent female is the height of immorality. Yet it's what the Catholic Church and some other denominations preach.

And since men can't get pregnant and will never die due to pregnancy or childbirth there's a very strong argument to be made that their opinions should only be advisory and never codified.

Also I seem to remember that Orthodox Jews always choose the woman's life rather than the fetus because of biblical verse. I don't recall that Jesus weighed in on the topic, just like he didn't on homosexuality. (Paul did, but unlike the disciples Paul never knew Jesus, therefore his ability to speak for him is highly questionable)

So is 24 weeks the current national limit or is it a state by state thing?

No idea about that Utah case but curious on what the outcome was as it pertains to what the twins were considered.

What if the baby isn't a risk to the mothers health, she doesn't want it, but the father does?
I think it's 24 in most states, but it's not universal.

Once it was pointed out that they were being hypocrites, the hospital changed their tune.

As with anything, the woman gets the final say. ;)

No kidding. Wrongful death suits are almost always dependent on pecuniary loss, and in New York they are entirely dependent on that loss. A fetus killed in the womb would have no such loss. What is your point?
I believe a claim could be made if the mother wasn't intending to have an abortion.

Based on Roe v. Wade, the 14th amendment to the U.S. Constitution is currently interpreted to allow states the right to outlaw abortion in the third trimester (after 24 weeks) but not before. The 14th amendment is also interpreted to allow states the right to outlaw killing fetuses at any time after conception as long as the mother is not the one doing the act.

Father's have no rights whatsoever.
My wife is pregnant right now. She deserves more rights in this case than I do.

There's no worse hypocrite than the anti abortionist who would let a woman die rather than have an abortion. To value the POTENTIAL life of the fetus more highly than an actual living sentinent female is the height of immorality. Yet it's what the Catholic Church and some other denominations preach.

And since men can't get pregnant and will never die due to pregnancy or childbirth there's a very strong argument to be made that their opinions should only be advisory and never codified.

Also I seem to remember that Orthodox Jews always choose the woman's life rather than the fetus because of biblical verse. I don't recall that Jesus weighed in on the topic, just like he didn't on homosexuality. (Paul did, but unlike the disciples Paul never knew Jesus, therefore his ability to speak for him is highly questionable)
Your last paragraph is absolutely correct. And that's the belief until the baby is completely removed from the womb.

My statement on fathers was just a statement of fact, it was not meant to infer any opinion that fathers should have rights.
My best to you and your wife on her pregnancy and health and peace to you all. Have a good weekend.

My statement on fathers was just a statement of fact, it was not meant to infer any opinion that fathers should have rights.
My best to you and your wife on her pregnancy and health and peace to you all. Have a good weekend.
Thanks. You do the same.

I think it's 24 in most states, but it's not universal.

Once it was pointed out that they were being hypocrites, the hospital changed their tune.

As with anything, the woman gets the final say. ;)

True statement.

and a HUGE congrats on that! Good stuff!

there was nothing "intolerant" about what he said. it was quite the opposite. it was judgmental, but tolerant. people have a right to express their opinions, whether you disagree with them or not. you and those like you are exhibiting more intolerance.

freedom and openness in the marketplace of ideas is the most important thing here. Critical thinking is impossible without it (curious that some in this thread attack religious attitudes as enemies of critical thinking while at the same time seeking to sanitize the marketplace of ideas). Many (not all) are just anti-religious bigots seeking to use this particular issue as a bludgeon.

I am not going to get into this any further because, frankly, this is a "pearls before swine" situation.

I'm curious - where do you stand on gay rights? I feel as though you're kind of ambiguous about it. Do you believe that homosexuals and homosexual couples deserve the exact same legal rights and protections under the law as heterosexuals? And do you feel that there is anything morally wrong with homosexuality?

What about when said fetus has distinguishable female or male parts at 13 weeks?

Go back through any continental law - English law. French law, etc.,, and you'll find that if the queen (or a royal) were impregnated, that the creation of an heir requires that they be born alive. It is not until then that any legal rights assign.

How is this thread 14 pages?

Anyway I'll chime in-- if people who are gay have the right to voice that they are gay, I have the right to, personally, disagree with that lifestyle choice. As long as I don't physically, emotionally, spiritually, [insert any word ending in -ally] treat them in a harmful way, what's the matter?

I can make this statement- I believe in same sex marriage and people who only see black and white would call me a bigot. I have gay friends, it's not the case at all.

Go tell your gay friends you disagree with their lifestyle choice and see how they react. Bring a camera and upload it to Youtube for even more fun.

I think it is time to lock this thread. I think everyone has spoken his/her piece on every possible related topic. Hey, it's been an interesting six days here. Peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom