Jay Bilas In, Dick Vitale Out for Saturday Primetime Games | Syracusefan.com

Jay Bilas In, Dick Vitale Out for Saturday Primetime Games

Jalen Rose is great. Having Jay Williams on gameday in place of Jalen is a big downgrade, imo.

I've always been a big Bilas fan.

Also think Vitale takes too much crap from people. Dude absolutely loves the game, and so do I.

http://thebiglead.com/2014/10/01/inside-blitz-jay-bilas-primetime-dick-vitale-espn/
Interesting decisions by ESPN. I love Bilas getting promoted he might be the best analyst in any sport. Dickie V getting pushed to the non-big games is amazing.

College Gameday is now Rece Davis, Seth Greenberg, Jay Williams, Jay Bilas.

He's gone from Prime Time, but he'll be there for big games still. Theres multiple good games on any week. Yeah we might not get him against Duke on Valentines day, but I won't be shocked if hes broadcasting our game at noon on a Saturday against Pittsburgh. Good for Bilas, but this is like Dick Enberg being demoted by CBS from the Number 1 broadcast to the Number 2. Yeah he's not doing the Super Bowl, but theres big games still on the schedule.

Jalen Rose is great. Having Jay Williams on gameday in place of Jalen is a big downgrade, imo.

I've always been a big Bilas fan.

Also think Vitale takes too much crap from people. Dude absolutely loves the game, and so do I.
I agree Williams is a moron and I loved Jalen's coolness/swag.

Bilas might be the analyst in any sport. He does his homework, doesn't favor any team, actually calls out refs/coaches, he is the best.

Dickie V when he was prepared and not just doing his schtick routine was a good analyst. He never criticizes anything, but he is a good ambassador of college basketball. I am sure he will still do games, but its no more if Dickie V is in the house the game matters more.

Jalen Rose loves Cuse, always brings up how he almost went there. Jay Williams never has anything nice to say about Cuse. Bad for us. But Digger retiring is a plus.

I'm thinking that Dickie V. is not getting as much game time because of his age/health.

Awful Gameday crew - what the hell were they thinking when they decided on those moves?! Bilas is the best analyst in the business and deserves the primetime spot.

Also, I'm going to sound like a homer, but Mcdonough is better than Shulman and deserves to be the number one announcer. Never understood the ESPN love affair with Shulman. He was an NBA and MLB guy they moved to college basketball. Mcdonough has been doing college basketball for years on ESPN, and just strikes me as someone who has a better overall knowledge of the sport.

Also, I'm going to sound like a homer, but Mcdonough is better than Shulman and deserves to be the number one announcer. Never understood the ESPN love affair with Shulman. He was an NBA and MLB guy they moved to college basketball. Mcdonough has been doing college basketball for years on ESPN, and just strikes me as someone who has a better overall knowledge of the sport.

Some may say Mcdonough is a baseball guy...

Agree about Jay Bilas.

Dickie V.'s act worked in the 80's.
It's now long past it's "use by" date.
If only Chris Berman could get that same message.

Even though their on-air personas are really different, that's a really good comparison. And an accurate assessment, IMO.

I would argue that Vitale is the single most important person in the history of college basketball.

I find his schtick a bit over the top at times, but by literally all accounts he's an incredibly down-to-earth person.

I would argue that Vitale is the single most important person in the history of college basketball.

I find his schtick a bit over the top at times, but by literally all accounts he's an incredibly down-to-earth person.
I tend to agree with this. And let's not forget all the fundraising he has done for various charities, most notably the Jimmy V Foundation. Dude loves the game, and is genuinely one of the most giving people involved in the sport (and beyond).

Agree with you guys. Past his prime for sure but he can be entertaining and has been HUGE for college basketball's popularity now. He's a great person. Now if only Lou Holtz could disappear. What on earth is ESPN's reason for having him on still? His wonderful insight and mumbling gibberish is a disgrace.

I have had breakfast with Dick Vitale. The guy is 100% class and is such a good down to earth person. He said to me his life all about his children and grandchildren and that he has been stealing money from ESPN doing his job.
The guy can be annoying to listen to his schtick and same talking points, but he is a good man and not a TV phony like other people on TV.

Agree with you guys. Past his prime for sure but he can be entertaining and has been HUGE for college basketball's popularity now. He's a great person. Now if only Lou Holtz could disappear. What on earth is ESPN's reason for having him on still? His wonderful insight and mumbling gibberish is a disgrace.
Lou Holtz didn't have his contract renewed And is done after this year at ESPN.

I have had breakfast with Dick Vitale. The guy is 100% class and is such a good down to earth person. He said to me his life all about his children and grandchildren and that he has been stealing money from ESPN doing his job.
The guy can be annoying to listen to his schtick and same talking points, but he is a good man and not a TV phony like other people on TV.

Great news about Holtz. I was sitting next to him once at The Broken Egg in Sarasota. His go-to spot down there. Really nice guy.

I would imagine ESPN and Dickie V came to a mutual agreement on this move. He's meant too much to them to be pushed aside, even if Bilas is better right now. It might be a case of Dickie V kind of hand-picking his games/travel obligations.

I like the addition of Greenberg over Digger, but I bet they are moving Rose off because of his NBA responsibilities and not his performance.

Shulman is in my opinion, right up with Tirico for best PxP in any sport. He and Bilas will make an awesome team.

I love McDonough but his reputation and attitude hurts him sometimes. McDonough speaks his mind and doesn't play politics like others. He should be a regular pbp guy for ESPN baseball but Dave O'Brien and Dan Shulman are ahead of him.
Sean lost his job with the Red Sox because he stood up to the ownership and they wanted a yesman. He could have had the pbp NY Mets job but didn't want it. Hopefully he moves up the ladder at ESPN but they really like Shulman right now.

My reasons for disliking Vitale have nothing to do with his personal conduct, and everything to do with how annoying his schtick was. To each their own. No doubt, the guy loves college basketball, but he's become more and more of a caricature of himself over the years. There was a time when he really tried to be a solid announcer, and would sprinkle in his unique flavor at key times. That's been supplanted by 100% flavor, a lot of off-point commentary about other teams and very little insightful input. I get that some people like him for his enthusiasm, I've mostly disliked him because he acts like a clown on the air, which detracted from my enjoyment of certain games. Also, when I'm watching a Big 10 game, I don't need to hear 8 minutes of unrelated ranting about how good Duke is, the phenomenal recruiting class at Kentucky, etc. :noidea: Like I said, to each their own. We all have different preferences [and I'm certainly not looking to start an argument with the legion of people who--inexplicably to me--seem to love Vitale].

That said, he's done fantastic work as an ambassador / fund raiser for the Jimmy V foundation, and deserves to be commended for that. For that reason alone, it was worth putting up with him being on the air.

I'm done watching college basketball Gameday. Jay Williams may be the most incompetent analyst in all of sports. The man is a cliche machine.

"I thought team A didn't play up to their full potential"
"Team B just seemed to want it more"