JB and Roberson

Discussion in 'Syracuse Basketball Board' started by Cuse House, Jan 10, 2017.

1. pfister1

pfister1 All American

Guessing at what? Whether JB knows his players better than we do?

I guess that I am guessing, based on us seeing that he seems to single certain guys out, that he treats them all differently. Seems like a reasonable guess. Some guys get yelled at, some guys get star treatment, some guys get token starter treatment, some guys are in the middle.

But, maybe he does just pick one guy on each roster to verbally abuse just for the fun of it. I don't know doesn't seem like he'd ultimately be successful doing that, but who knows.

2. orangecuse

orangecuse All Conference

The point you make here more than sums up the night, it truly represents how Howard really has no clue in being the floor general, and, yet again demonstrates his poor basketball IQ. Combined with his lack of skill set/handle as a lead guard along with being an inadequate shooter, he's really, unfortunately, a detriment out there.

SoBeCuse likes this.
  3. Consigliere

Consigliere Starter

Board has reached new heights. An 8 page thread based on lip reading a one on one discussion between Boeheim and Robey?
    Look, I agree with the sentiment. I absolutely love "plugged in Robey" and what he brings to this team. I hate to see the public criticism of individual players whenever it occurs and think it serves no purpose whatsoever. However, I won't second guess the approach JB uses, ostensibly in private, to motivate individual players. The data is too strong in his favor.

4. orangecuse

I don't think anyone is arguing what his approach may be in private, as uh, that would be private and amongst themselves. It's his public outbursts of alleged "motivation" that certainly can be called into question...regardless of results.

CuseCPT and two3zone like this.
  5. CuseFaninVT

CuseFaninVT Living Legend

Meant to ask that differently. I was really asking if your observations are based on sitting in CTO like seats somewhere behind the bench, or observations from practice, or just TV like me.

pfister1 likes this.
  6. IthacaMatt

IthacaMatt Hall of Fame

Yeah, a guy who gets 20 rebounds away at Duke can't be very good.

djcon57, CuseCPT and CuseTG2003 like this.
  7. Ghost

Ghost Hall of Fame

I do find it funny that he's constantly compared to his career highlight night. Those 20 rebounds were the worst thing that ever happened to him! :) He can do that at Duke, why can't he do it every night! Grrrrr!!! Lazy! Lol

8. cuseinseattle

cuseinseattle Starter

It's hard for me to decide what my favorite recurring thread is. Is it Boeheim is so mean to Roberson, The Succession Plan or We are going to have a losing record. I'm going to call it a 3 way tie.

JDubbin, orangedave, MSOrange and 2 others like this.
  9. orangecuse

Indeed. A baseball pitcher that throws a no no, doesn't make him a Cy-Young type. Nor does that utility player that hits an occasional homer...doesn't make him a home run hitter. ;)

orangedave and two3zone like this.
  10. cuseinseattle

cuseinseattle Starter

I think the problem is many don't view that as a career night. They viewed it as a sign of things to come. Not that he would have 20 boards a night but that he could have 10-12 and bring that level of energy every night. When that doesn't happen and it appears at times that he is not engaged for the full game that is where the frustration comes in.

11. br801

br801 All American

I like "our guys all leave too early, can't wait to see their careers fizzle" too.

12. orangecuse

Well, he's a senior, who has had significant playing time throughout...so, I think there's enough data out there to suggest that he is what he is. :noidea:

two3zone likes this.
  13. two3zone

two3zone Hall of Fame

The 20 rebound game against Duke is starting to sound like Al Bundys 4 touchdowns in a single game.

14. NineOneSeven

NineOneSeven Living Legend

There around 25-30 players in the entire country that average 10+ rebounds a night. Many of them don't play in P5 conferences. Every player averages more MPG, some significantly more (as in over 50% more minutes). He's had 10 boards in 3 of the last 4 games.

Doc5120 and tbonezone like this.
  15. Cusefan0307

Cusefan0307 Hall of Fame

Cooney is gone. Something had to replace all those threads. :p

pfister1 and CuseFaninVT like this.
  16. Ghost

Ghost Hall of Fame

Eh, my view is the same as with Christmas. You got guys whose energy level seems to ebb and flow, get them engaged offensively. Post him up, even if the results are god-awful, it's one possession of suck, and hopefully he's locked in because of it. The whole yelling at him bit seems equally effective as it was for Xmas years 1 through 3.

If the kid legit doesn't have one low post by now, well, shame on the coaches.

17. tbonezone

tbonezone All American

roberson's been in the top 10 ten in ACC rebounding 2 straight years. that's no fluke . dude can board.

two3zone and Doc5120 like this.
  18. Jasoncuse

Jasoncuse All Conference

I don't really care about JB vs Robey last night. That's how he tries getting to him, right or wrong. When was that clip from, right after he came in and committed an unnecessary and just dumb charge? I don't think robey came in ready like the last couple of games so if a JB felt that way, he was letting him know.

I'm more disgusted with how pathetic our offense is. Just standing around and dribbling, with constant ball screens and nothing else. That's what lost us the game last night.

19. Alsacs

Alsacs Living Legend

Cooney got killed by fans. Roberson gets defended by fans for JB killing the guy.

two3zone likes this.
  20. Cusefan0307

Cusefan0307 Hall of Fame

On this team there really isn't anyone who's above JB's criticism thought. Last year G and Cooney never got roasted. If you rewatch the game on the sideline JB roasted everyone last night. He got Lydon after he picked up his second and Gillon at the end with about a minute to go after he attempted an awful shot. I think Roberson is pointed out because ESPN was right in their face when it happened.

JDubbin, orangedave, MSOrange and 2 others like this.