JB appeared completely disinterested in coaching tonight... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

JB appeared completely disinterested in coaching tonight...

Athletic difference, not so much. Experience of playing together, HUGE.

Don't care for the man v. zone talk. Bad defenders will be bad defenders in any scheme, and vice versa.

But any zone with John Gillon at the top is not going to be a very good one.

Sadly, any man with Coleman on a center or Lydon on a 3 isn't going to be good, either, so I don't know what the solution is. But it'd be nice to see some of those forward traps that they tried in the early games.

This is pretty simple. JB is playing the long game. He knows the zone has to get better. And the way it gets better is by playing it and gaining experience. To switch to man to man against a vet team like Wisky who generally only see man to man would have been pointless. We wouldn't have won. But to continue to play the zone, hopefully as the players gain experience, they will get better. This will not be the same team we see in Feb. They will get better.

This is pretty simple. JB is playing the long game. He knows the zone has to get better. And the way it gets better is by playing it and gaining experience. To switch to man to man against a vet team like Wisky who generally only see man to man would have been pointless. We wouldn't have won. But to continue to play the zone, hopefully as the players gain experience, they will get better. This will not be the same team we see in Feb. They will get better.

Ugh, the zone getting better isn't a panacea. I don't know that it's even achievable, not to the extent that he'd like it to be. Not with all these new faces and an undersized guard.

Why not focus on the low-hanging fruit: moving the ball and the personnel, putting all these skilled offensive players in a position to take good shots.

Interesting theory of yours...maybe. However, fact is, there's really no way to know with absolute certainty unless an attempt is made.

My understanding all these years has been that JB plays each and every game as its last...meaning, to win now. That's a large part in why he seldom ever plays his bench players come conference play, etc. So, "playing the long game" as you suggest goes against his embedded grain in the 40 years + he's been at SU.

The last time JB was disinterested in coaching, he was in diapers.

I dunno, SWC. He looks like he's totally ready to rip Kueth Duany a new one here.

IMG_8E37F697D34C-1.jpeg

It was surprising how much space Hayes had in middle of zone and how much space Happ had on baseline. I mean i get it, Wisc is great at inside out and have great shooters so our wings had to extend which is what created all that space for their best two guys. But still the gaps were just way too large, giving SU almost no chance at a win imo. When i look at JBs zone this year it really looks like he designed it assuming their would be a shot blocker/ rim protector anchoring it. Problem is that supposed guy is on the bench. JB has some work to do but he is usually up to the task of adjusting the zone, just look at last year! The offense as usual is a whole different story...dont even know what to say there other than similar to '13 we need a leader to step up and the team to gel. Go Cuse!

Just let Jim Boeheim do his thing...god damn it's that easy.

I saw Koenig getting by our guys with no problem. Happ getting around our guys down low the same way. I really didn't see any athletic drop off between Wisconsin and Syracuse. That was surprising. Maybe I'm wrong since I was crushing IPAs mid 2H but it didn't seem to me like there was a talent/athlete disparity.

The most important question is what IPAs were you drinking?

Interesting theory of yours...maybe. However, fact is, there's really no way to know with absolute certainty unless an attempt is made.

My understanding all these years has been that JB plays each and every game as its last...meaning, to win now. That's a large part in why he seldom ever plays his bench players come conference play, etc. So, "playing the long game" as you suggest goes against his embedded grain in the 40 years + he's been at SU.
Was this a conference game? No. It wasn't. Come conference games, you won't see as much subbing. We all know that.

Ugh, the zone getting better isn't a panacea. I don't know that it's even achievable, not to the extent that he'd like it to be. Not with all these new faces and an undersized guard.

Why not focus on the low-hanging fruit: moving the ball and the personnel, putting all these skilled offensive players in a position to take good shots.
That will take time as well. And that is not low hanging fruit. It isn't that easy.

JB's priority needs to be and seems to be to get this team to play good zone defense. The new guys haven't mastered the basics so to the adjustments argument I say:
What would likely be gained by changing from the zone or even adjusting the zone? But that said:
How can you tell he didn't adjust? They barely looked like they were able to play the basic zone. Maybe he adjusted but you couldn't tell the difference.

Columbus 'Bodhi'. It's their double. It's like a hopped up orange julius with a hint of dank chronic. ;)

I'm well aware of this beer. I haven't had it, but it's on my wishlist.

Did you get to try the Waldos 420 by Lagunitas this year? I remember you turned me on to Undercover Shutdown Ale... Waldos is a little like that but higher abv, not quite as fullbodied, but extra, extra dank.

Mason

I'm well aware of this beer. I haven't had it, but it's on my wishlist.

Did you get to try the Waldos 420 by Lagunitas this year? I remember you turned me on to Undercover Shutdown Ale... Waldos is a little like that but higher abv, not quite as fullbodied, but extra, extra dank.

Mason

You know dude I haven't. I've been looking for it. I do love Lagunitas Aunt Sally which is hopped up sour mash. Really tart and crisp. I will be in Chicago near the end of Dec for a few days and plan on going to the Lagunitas tap room there. Maybe I can get the Waldos 420 there. Or, I'll trade you a Bodhi for a Waldos, ha.

You know dude I haven't. I've been looking for it. I do love Lagunitas Aunt Sally which is hopped up sour mash. Really tart and crisp. I will be in Chicago near the end of Dec for a few days and plan on going to the Lagunitas tap room there. Maybe I can get the Waldos 420 there. Or, I'll trade you a Bodhi for a Waldos, ha.

I have a couple of Waldos left so I'd gladly do a straight up trade. Hit me up on FB.

It's a seasonal release so I doubt it will be on tap in Dec.

You should hit Half Acre while you're in Chicago.

It's a seasonal release so I doubt it will be on tap in Dec.

You should hit Half Acre while you're in Chicago.

Thanks for the intel! I will try to check it out since I don't know much about them. I looked them up and they have some interesting offerings for sure. I'll be in touch re: trade.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom