2) we lost a lot in last two yrs and we're not good now
3) offense was terrible
4) Kaleb has talent but he's a freshman
5) Mac needs strength and stamina
6) silent G was good
7) team played hard
8) Need scoring from other places besides Rak and Mac
9) We need lots of time to get better, as in weeks and months

Don't have time to watch it, but anything on the lack of effort on the defensive end?

In a nutshell:
1) fans showed up, team didn't
2) we lost a lot in last two yrs and we're not good now
3) offense was terrible
4) Kaleb has talent but he's a freshman
5) Mac needs strength and stamina
6) silent G was good
7) team played hard
8) Need scoring from other places besides Rak and Mac
9) We need lots of time to get better, as in weeks and months
Didnt listen to it but if true, pls explain to me how team played hard but team didnt show up. Sometimes even HOF coaches want their cake and eat it too. But this point is critical to me. Ie either we played hard but just arent that skilled. Or we do have plenty of skill but we were just deer in headlights tonite. We shall see...

I liked JB being humble when asked if there is any adjustment he can make between now and the next game and saying there isn't.

Didnt listen to it but if true, pls explain to me how team played hard but team didnt show up. Sometimes even HOF coaches want their cake and eat it too. But this point is critical to me. Ie either we played hard but just arent that skilled. Or we do have plenty of skill but we were just deer in headlights tonite. We shall see...

I am no coach but the way I read that is that the team played hard they just made a ton of mistakes. I don't think I remember seeing a Syracuse team make as many mistakes or look as lost as I saw tonight. Clearly that's an issue for the coach to work out but he's not gonna be able to do it in 24 hours. So I don't think it was that they didn't play hard they just didn't play "right".

The thing I didn't like was the shots of our bench. The assistant coaches were not instructing, cajoling, berating, encouraging, or anything else. All 3 of them just sat there with 1,000 yard stares. And the was throughout the game not just in junk time.

I am no coach but the way I read that is that the team played hard they just made a ton of mistakes. I don't think I remember seeing a Syracuse team make as many mistakes or look as lost as I saw tonight. Clearly that's an issue for the coach to work out but he's not gonna be able to hedo it in 24 hours. So I don't think it was that they didn't play hard they just didn't play "right".

The thing I didn't like was the shots of our bench. The assistant coaches were not instructing, cajoling, berating, encouraging, or anything else. All 3 of them just sat there with 1,000 yard stares. And the was throughout the game not just in junk time.
If you watched the KU bench against UK the other night it was the same exact thing. Imo Its the surprising realization that the other team is just that much better and you have a long way to go. Coaching tonite wasnt going to do much. As JB said, this will take weeks, maybe months...

If you watched the KU bench against UK the other night it was the same exact thing. Imo Its the surprising realization that the other team is just that much better and you have a long way to go. Coaching tonite wasnt going to do much. As JB said, this will take weeks, maybe months...

Maybe for KU that was the case. I don't think Cal was so much better, just we made so many errors and so many bad decisions and then compounded it with shoddy defense that we had no chance . I wasn't expecting them to coach us out of that on the spot but rather to keep the young guys buoyed and try to keep their confidence intact , that type of thing.

Yeah. Jb had the "who farted" look pretty much the whole game. When he does that were basically lost.

Maybe for KU that was the case. I don't think Cal was so much better, just we made so many errors and so many bad decisions and then compounded it with shoddy defense that we had no chance . I wasn't expecting them to coach us out of that on the spot but rather to keep the young guys buoyed and try to keep their confidence intact , that type of thing.
I disagree I think Cal is a very good team and I was especially impressed with their passing ability.

I am no coach but the way I read that is that the team played hard they just made a ton of mistakes. I don't think I remember seeing a Syracuse team make as many mistakes or look as lost as I saw tonight. Clearly that's an issue for the coach to work out but he's not gonna be able to do it in 24 hours. So I don't think it was that they didn't play hard they just didn't play "right".

That is what I took. Played hard but made mistakes while doing so. (really moved around on defense but some how left guys wide open for easy shots)

Cal was a lot better than us.

This is true.

From the called timeout before the under-16:00, it appeared that our bench was just killing time.

That doesn't happen often. Not good to see.

Cal was a lot better than us.

They were good but I don't think it was like we were playing the globe trotters. I don't think these teams were so different that our coaches should take the approach of giving up because they are too good to compete with. The reasons we got punked were mostly coach able in my eyes. Like poor execution, mental mistakes, defensive lapses, not getting back in transition etc.

Don't have time to watch it, but anything on the lack of effort on the defensive end?
I don't think it was lack of effort on D. The offense was very bad, not just missed shots but terrible shot selection which then resulted in fast break transition baskets going the other way. Happened all night. When a team shoots a low percentage there are going to be a lot of open court situations and the D is going to look bad. When we avoided those situations the D was better. One aspect that was poor was the play of Cooney and Kaleb at the top of the zone. Their coverage of Cal's 3 point shooters, especially Bird was terrible. Going in you have to know that Bird is a really good 3 pt shooter and mark him and stay on top of him. But he was open (with nobody within 5 feet of him) several times. Cooney looked lost IMO. The best D combination was a brief stint that paired Patterson and Gbinije at the guards.

If you look at #3 and #4 that answers most if it. Offense is/was terrible and Joseph is talented, but a Freshman. Look we've got a team that doesn't have a PG right now other than G. We struggled mightily cause Joseph isn't ready to run this team and he's got to learn how to play the PG position.

Now if you just look at us from a D stand point. You've got 2 freshman and Roberson who are still learning how to play the zone. For as much Cooney gets on this board the kid can play D and Rak, when in the game, can play too. G is the other guy who is solid too. Now you add in all of the Sophomores who didn't play much last year and your going to have a lot of growing pains. One thing that really bothered me last night was how easy it was for Cal to split the top of the zone. Joseph has to learn how to get over and shut that down. Man I miss MCW, Ennis and Triche at the top. Gonna be a long season...hopefully the learning curve doesn't take too long.

And yes the kids played hard, but they've got a ton to learn. When they do this group will be fun to watch.

I disagree I think Cal is a very good team and I was especially impressed with their passing ability.

I said a week or so ago, on a previous post, that I thought Cal had the edge. What is usually a home game for Cuse in NY, was no where close to that. Hoping for a rebound and much better play today.

The BEST line from the presser was when JB was asked about what he could for the Iowa game and JB replied something to the effect of: Merlin could not anything by 5 o'clock tomorrow night.

They did play hard, they did not play effectively or smart. In other words they were trying but their effort was not put to good use. If they made half the open shots they missed we are in the game.
Joseph has to be more aggressive in taking the ball to the hole when given the opening, and find others when open. Christmas and Roberson must take it into the defense when shooting, not fade away. CMc lacks strength and endurance. Cooney is just a mystery, his shooting is all over the place, his shot is never the same twice, he drifts, his release is continually different, I wonder how he was ever considered a shooter at this point.
Just as JB says this team at this time is not very good, time will tell if they can put it together. The good thing is they have some athletic talent, and the season is young.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom