JB kicked butt last night... | Syracusefan.com

JB kicked butt last night...

RaoulDuke

Monster Dunk Connoisseur
Forgot how much I missed him. He had a LOT of fire coaching and I really liked how he stayed on the guys last night when we were up by 20. He wanted to put UND away.

Oh and I'm buying Brey a shave for Christmas next year...

Most animated Jimmy's been all season. I thought he was going to kill Frank after that mistimed rebound.

Love it though. Some players need that ass kicking and I think guys like Roberson and Frank are the kind of guys need a fire lit under their arse. No one better to do it than JB.

Forgot how much I missed him. He had a LOT of fire coaching and I really liked how he stayed on the guys last night when we were up by 20. He wanted to put UND away.

Oh and I'm buying Brey a shave for Christmas next year...

Was that perhaps the best TO that JB has ever called, 2 minutes into the game? 23-1 run right afterwards, I think it was.

Most animated Jimmy's been all season. I thought he was going to kill Frank after that mistimed rebound.

Love it though. Some players need that ass kicking and I think guys like Roberson and Frank are the kind of guys need a fire lit under their arse. No one better to do it than JB.
Did you see Frank's look while JB was walking away from him? Howard was not happy about it, but hopefully he builds on it. I really thought JB was pissed because of the weak foul on the and one (after the missed rebound).

Did you see Frank's look while JB was walking away from him? Howard was not happy about it, but hopefully he builds on it. I really thought JB was pissed because of the weak foul on the and one (after the missed rebound).

I did see his face, no one likes getting screamed at face to face. LOL

Jimmy was already pissed at him for the three he took on the other end, it's obvious that Frank does not have the green light from Jimmy to take threes and JB wants him to play the role that best suits the team. I think JB really likes this team's potential right now (despite our weaknesses in the paint) but he knows we need a legit 7th man in the rotation to make it work, that's why he's riding Frank right now.

I've been one of the board's biggest proponents of FH but he is not a good shooter right now and he really does throw some extremely sloppy passes at times. Love his vision and his handle but his attention to detail is not where it should be.

Was that perhaps the best TO that JB has ever called, 2 minutes into the game? 23-1 run right afterwards, I think it was.

Hopkins doesn't call that timeout. Thank goodness JB is back. Worried what it may look like in the future.

I thought JB was so pissed because Howard jacked up a 3 on the other end, and then gave a weak attempt at the rebound/foul on defense. Just a terrible sequence for him.

Hopkins doesn't call that timeout. Thank goodness JB is back. Worried what it may look like in the future.

I DVR'd the SU-Duke game from 1989 on ESPN Classic and I had one eye on it while I was making dinner.

One thing that struck me, which is why I DVR'd it and want to watch it again much more closely, is how much less of a perfectionist JB seemed to be back then - especially on the Defensive end.

We gave up a ton of run outs to Duke and I thought I saw a bunch of lapses that JB would simply never stand for today...

When you watch JB coach as much as all of us do, I think you kind of develop a rhythm for knowing when he is going to call timeout, when he is going to pull someone etc...

When Hop was coaching, there were times where I was waiting for someone to get pulled for a mistake and it didn't happen simply because Hop is a different coach (not making a judgement on whether pulling the guy at that point was the right move or not, simply saying that I felt that JB would have made the sub shile Hop didn't).

I got that same sense during the 1989 Duke game. Someone would do something which would give me that Uh-Oh,-he's-gonna-get-screamed-at-and-he's-gonna-get-pulled spidey sense and it wouldn't happen. Very interesting to watch games from different eras to watch how JB has evolved as a coach.

I'd love to watch a game from the 70s to see what he was like at the beginning...

No doubt, Hop is going to have his growing pains. It is impossible toreplace one of the best ever and immediately be on that level...

Does 2016 JB collect that technical foul against Iowa which completely changed the momentum of the game? I doubt it. 1980 JB did.

Last edited:

This is just silly. You are free to have reservations about Hopkins, or any new coach, but give me a break. If his biggest deficiency is that he "doesn't call that timeout" then I would say we are in pretty stellar position.

Jimmy was already pissed at him for the three he took on the other end, it's obvious that Frank does not have the green light from Jimmy to take threes and JB wants him to play the role that best suits the team. I think JB really likes this team's potential right now (despite our weaknesses in the paint) but he knows we need a legit 7th man in the rotation to make it work, that's why he's riding Frank right now.

I've been one of the board's biggest proponents of FH but he is not a good shooter right now and he really does throw some extremely sloppy passes at times. Love his vision and his handle but his attention to detail is not where it should be.
I don't disagree with any of this. But about the last paragraph...you are right and he is still feeling things out. Nowhere close to where he will be by end of Soph/Junior year. Like some already said, he show the ability to run the point and has awareness, nice handle. He will be alright but will require some patience before he carves out his niche. I am not worried about the kid and he is expected to take more on the chin after these freshman mistakes. We'll get there. We always do.

I would like to build on your comment regarding "we need a legit 7th man in the rotation" to suggest JB take some chances to use Chino 4/5 minutes each game over the next several games. I am probably one of the few on this board that would try to get him selected PT to make this a much stronger team. It was very noticeable to me in the UVA game that he could have easily banged around in the middle for a few minutes each half and not done any worse. He is not as good as our first 7 but at some point before this season is over we are going to need his bigness in the middle either due to foul trouble or to give our front line a rest. View him as an insurance policy.....when you need him, be sure he is ready.

Agreed. Right now Howard is walking on thin ice. He looks barely serviceable, imo. I'm sure next year will be a different story. I see potential in him and on the contrary never saw any from Joseph. I refused to just believe in Joseph via blind faith.

The troops have definitely responded to JB despite how the players and/or pundits may downplay it. Loved his fire and how engaged he was on the sidelines as many have mentioned. I think he knew how important this game was.

Part 2 of this today: did you see FH get yanked again for driving in and taking a 10 footer (that didn't go in). JB was yelling "What's your job! What's your job!" at him when he got to the bench followed by "Answer me!"

So clearly - his job is to pass. He is amazing at this and I thought he was a big part of beating GT today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom