JB's 1000th vs Larranaga's 600th | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

JB's 1000th vs Larranaga's 600th

At no point in this season could this team have got on the courts on ND and UNC and given them a game. Did they check out in early November?

No. I didn't say they did. I said it's been cumulative.

No. I didn't say they did. I said it's been cumulative.
I don't think it is cumulative. I think this team was this bad from jump street. The yelling at Roberson is sickening. Enough. It's funny with jb, a kid be a pretty lousy person off the court, but if they play well, jb loves them. If a by all accounts good kid doesn't reach jb's level of expectations, he rips them. And in public. He should have been called on it long ago.

??? Change the goal posts. This is a bad team. We don't have a pt guard. Dislike Gillon but Howard has been a major disappointment. Our offense isn't very good. Players like Coleman and Roberson have not improved. That is on them and the coaches.

Hard to say how much is coaching. Gillon is just not an ACC guard I doubt great coaching would make him one. Howard was probably never very good but same deal he's worse and shattered. Coleman whether a gimp or not never progressed.

We have two active players who show skill and potential. I can't really blame the coaches for Robey never learning to shoot / expand his game... but none of them have gotten better. Robey has sick hops, Lydon and Battle have skill and getting better. Our team is pretty awful yes.

Hard to say how much is coaching. Gillon is just not an ACC guard I doubt great coaching would make him one. Howard was probably never very good but same deal he's worse and shattered. Coleman whether a gimp or not never progressed.

We have two active players who show skill and potential. I can't really blame the coaches for Robey never learning to shoot / expand his game... but none of them have gotten better. Robey has sick hops, Lydon and Battle have skill and getting better. Our team is pretty awful yes.

Player development and roster composition is largely on the staff.

Player development and roster composition is largely on the staff.

Im trying not to be anti-JB. You can say one or two is on the players... You can say early departures of the more skilled ones... but I don't see so many players at other upper tier D1 programs having so many players not improving or regressing... it's time for a new start.

Jim Larranaga is 70 and just won his 600th game. His players pulled off a "surprise" celebration after the game where you can truly feel how much they love their coach.

Jim Boehiem is 72 and will probably win his 1000th game this year. Even before this year I don't think at during his golden years he's had the level of relationship with this players than JL clearly has. If stuff like Roberson walking out of the locker room, the constant criticism of his players during pressers, the looks on players faces on the sideline, etc. etc... are any indication how much he has lost his players, well than we could be in for a somewhat awkward celebration of his 1000th win.

It'd be nice to see him get that level of love before he retires but I don't see it happening...
Yeah, if only a few of JB's players stayed close to him and loyal to the program after they left here...

I don't think it is cumulative. I think this team was this bad from jump street. The yelling at Roberson is sickening. Enough. It's funny with jb, a kid be a pretty lousy person off the court, but if they play well, jb loves them. If a by all accounts good kid doesn't reach jb's level of expectations, he rips them. And in public. He should have been called on it long ago.
You just called JB a bully basically.
He is turning into JK Simmons in Whiplash to Roberson.

You just called JB a bully basically.
He is turning into JK Simmons in Whiplash to Roberson.
JB is and has been a bully for a long time. didn't see whiplash. Did see him a few times in Oz. As long as jb doesn't go that far, there won't be a scandal.

Don't know what the '77 in your post refers to.

Maybe your birth year? If so, you might not be a native Syracusan but started school around 18 so your freshman year would likely have been the 95-96 season and most everyone here knows what happened THAT season.

But for any readers who don't, here's Wikipedia to the rescue with the recap of the NCAA tournament championship game:

1996 NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Championship Game - Wikipedia

So if that was your freshman year and like probably half the campus who had enough disposable income, you might have been sitting in the student section at the Meadowlands, cheering for the improbable but plausible upset of Kentucky.

And be so bummed when it didn't happen that you either gave up on the team or just lurked here for the longest time.

Did you give JB his props in 2003 or did you just figure that was all Melo's doing?

If you graduated in '77 though, then you started college in '73 when JB was still an assistant coach to Roy Danforth.

In which case, I can't even begin to guess what's on your mind.

Carry on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom