JB's Freshman Team Pic From Requiem | Syracusefan.com

JB's Freshman Team Pic From Requiem

'72 Orange

Starter
Calling all "older posters"!! Can you identify the players? It looks like the freshman team from the 1969-1970 season. It was flashed briefly on the screen during the Requiem For The Big East.

#22 is Mike Lee.
#12 is Artie Barr - the only reason I know him was that he lived on my dorm floor.
#10 is Mark Wadach.
#35 is Chuck Wichman.

The rest look familiar but I am drawing a blank on. I've got this CRS condition!!
SU Team Pic.JPG

I have the 1970-71 yearbook. It gives the stats for the 1969-70 freshman team but not the numbers. It gives the roster for the 1970-71 varsity but the sophomores have different numbers than the above. It gives portraits of the varsity but the numbers can't be seen. So I'm trying to "place the face". By the way the freshman coach was Bill Vesp at the time. JB was assisting him.

I agree with your choices.

#55 is Mark Ziolko

#50 is John Crabill

#30 is Bob Finney

#21 is Bruce Bartholomew

Those are the only guys who went on to the varsity the next year. The other players on the freshman team were Jerry Rhett, Chris Hoornbeck, Bob Cuddy, Bill Franczek and Dave Gabri, who played in 10, 2, 14, 9 and 8 games respectively. #44, #53 and #40 have to be in that group. I'll assume it's the guys who played the most games: Cuddy, Rhett and Franczek or maybe Gabri. But I don't know which one is which.

Ahh Bill Vesp...a blast from the past. Whatever happen to him? I remember the Tangerine Games used to be on the radio too.

July 68 Article showing him getting hired to replace Roy Danforth as Tangerine Coach
http://fultonhistory.com/Newspapers Disk3/Watertown Times/Watertown NY Daily Times 1968 July Grayscale.pdf/Watertown NY Daily Times 1968 July Grayscale - 0254.pdf

April 72 SI snippet said he was hired as Colgate Head Coach
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1086053/2/index.htm

He lasted 4 seasons and was basically a .500% coach. I assume he was fired. Colgate has never really been good in basketball and the coaches hired after him did worst to much worst over the next 15-20 years. They had a slight uptick under Coach Bruen and Adonal Foyle in the mid 90's.

Did he ever resurface to coach somewhere else?

Last edited:
Ahhh...jumping Jerry Rhett. I believe he was an African American so for some reason does not appear in this team pic.