Jermaine lawrence | Syracusefan.com

Jermaine lawrence

Sounds like other schools have noticed him so its just a matter of time before Cal shows up with the checkbook.

Would have liked our chances much more if he had stayed at Cardozo :(

Would we go after a PF deluxe like Lawrence with a ton of upside or a 4 year center type (Obokoh) that doesn't have the high ceiling but would be a solid 4 year contributor?

Does the strong push for Lawrence indicate that the staff things they may lose Christmas after this season or do they feel that Lawrence will be able to provide depth at either forward position and still get plenty of playing time. The staff must be telling a kid with this much potential that he has a legit chance for playing time.

The staff was recruiting him 2 years ago when he was at Cardozo. JB has a knack for spotting under the radar kids with high potential before they develop and the whole world knows about them. Unfortunately for SU, Lawrence has quickly blossomed and with his huge games this spring the KU's and UK's are now on him. If he hadn't developed so quickly SU might have been able to get him and then have him blow up his freshman year. It will be tough now.

Issues beyond basketball is what might make it tough to land Lawrence.

Issues beyond basketball is what might make it tough to land Lawrence.

Grades? Will he have to go to a school like UK that sweeps grades under the rug? Or is this another Nerlens Noel type situation where others are pushing him elsewhere?

Grades? Will he have to go to a school like UK that sweeps grades under the rug? Or is this another Nerlens Noel type situation where others are pushing him elsewhere?
His mother and family are very religious and obviously the SU b-ball program has dealt with some devilish issues that other schools will use against us. He's a great kid, very humble, and was one of the first names that I heard about when Red joined the coaching staff last year because he recruited him at Tech. Should be interesting to see how it all plays out since he's starting to blow up now. I know Ron Naclerio was very upset when Lawrence's mother pulled him out of Cardozo mid-season out of nowhere.

His mother and family are very religious and obviously the SU b-ball program has dealt with some devilish issues that other schools will use against us. He's a great kid, very humble, and was one of the first names that I heard about when Red joined the coaching staff last year because he recruited him at Tech. Should be interesting to see how it all plays out since he's starting to blow up now. I know Ron Naclerio was very upset when Lawrence's mother pulled him out of Cardozo mid-season out of nowhere.

I know it obviously didn't work with Noel, but any chance his relationship with Sutherland helps at all?

Hopefully he doesn't go play for the devil in Lexington. ;)

I know it obviously didn't work with Noel, but any chance his relationship with Sutherland helps at all?
Familiarity yes, big picture down the line doubt it. Kids want minutes and touches, could be tough with CJ and Grant on the roster. Then you have Vonleh to think about, who obviously plays the same position as Lawrence.

Hopefully he doesn't go play for the devil in Lexington. ;)

Unfortunately Calipari has said in multiple interviews he goes to church everyday. You know he's going to play that angle and beat it into the ground to win the mother over.

Unfortunately Calipari has said in multiple interviews he goes to church everyday. You know he's going to play that angle and beat it into the ground to win the mother over.
Calipari is a piece of crap. Bottom line.

Does the strong push for Lawrence indicate that the staff things they may lose Christmas after this season or do they feel that Lawrence will be able to provide depth at either forward position and still get plenty of playing time. The staff must be telling a kid with this much potential that he has a legit chance for playing time.

We're also recruiting 6'10 PF Chris Walker from the '13 class, but if we can't pull him out of Florida, Lawrence sounds like a godsend. Excellent height but not so much bulk that he can't move out to the wing. His shooting range could pull a big outside against M2M coverage.

The reason I'm excited about Lawrence and Walker is our lack of depth at PF. That was a big reason our rebounding numbers were abysmal last year. With X-Mas not being ready, we were forced to play a 3 (CJ) there. CJ turned out to be surprisingly crafty inside. Even so, he was not an inside force and our rebounding (in addition to being challenged b/c of the zone) really suffered. The 2011-12 squad had the talent to make up for that in other ways. This year we won't be as lucky. Obviously, Walker/Lawrence won't give us any immediate help -- but either could help in 2 years with some of the off-the-ball shotblocking we were looking for with NN.

In the meantime, X-Mas starts at PF again (IMO). I'm praying that he takes the next step that we've all been waiting for -- inside eraser and supplemental low-post scorer. But even if starts meeting these expectations, he can only play so many minutes (25?). Once he get's gassed, or has a bad game, picks up fouls or gets nicked up, we get significantly smaller inside. Why the staff hasn't gone after another big is a mystery to me.

This fall offers no relief. Grant is not going to play inside, at 6'6 185 lbs. What will wind up happening is that CJ will have to plug into the 4, with Dirty taking over the SF role (Grant to back up). That's a lineup I would like to see -- fast, balanced offensively. But it still leaves us in the same rebounding boat we were stuck in last year -- getting humped on the glass.

reedny,
It's my understanding that we have no shot at Walker and are not looking at him. If there is mutual interest it would be great news. Maybe Paulie or Francis can update.

Walker is desperately trying to get an offer from uk but they have their sights set on randle, parker, and wiggins if he reclassifies...walker is not coming here and thats fine with me. Extremely talented but doesnt have the greatest reputation

reedny,
It's my understanding that we have no shot at Walker and are not looking at him. If there is mutual interest it would be great news. Maybe Paulie or Francis can update.
No shot at Walker. He's basically just name dropping SU on his list. As Paulie P mentioned he wants Kentucky but will most likely settle on Florida.

No shot at Walker. He's basically just name dropping SU on his list. As Paulie P mentioned he wants Kentucky but will most likely settle on Florida.

Didnt he tweet at LeBron asking him for advice on what college to go to? If I remember LeBron told him UK or Ohio State.

Francis, anything noteworthy or significant happen this past weekend? I could be wrong but I thought I read it's the end of the evaluation period, any guys creep into the picture for the staff or do the opposite and fall off?

Anyone headed to the Mary Kline classic this weekend can catch Lawrence in action

Sounds like other schools have noticed him so its just a matter of time before Cal shows up with the checkbook.

He can't get everybody. People need to remember that.

Anyone headed to the Mary Kline classic this weekend can catch Lawrence in action

Thinking about it, its my neck of the woods...lot of cuse targets are in it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom