Class of 2015 - Jessie Govan... | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 Jessie Govan...

orangefan13

Hall of Fame
Any word on us being interested in Jessie Govan, hes not interested in us yet, but hes from NY. 6'9 220.

Right now hes very slow and very littler verticle, but his offensive hook looks real sweet out to 12 feet, as does his jumper. He knows how to keep the ball high with a fluent hook. Hard to pass up a hook like that, A shot like that can make a big a true scorer by the end of his freshmen season in college. If hes willing to work on his motor, verticle and lateral quickness a nice prospect, and those things are fixable. He just needs a conditioning coach to push his motor and get him running hard for long periods.

Last edited:
Any word on us being interested in Jessie Govan, hes not interested in us yet we're not interested fixed, but hes from NY. 6'9 220.

Right now hes very slow and very littler verticle, but his offensive hook looks real sweet out to 12 feet, as does his jumper. He knows how to keep the ball high with a fluent hook. Hard to pass up a hook like that, A shot like that can make a big a true scorer by the end of his freshmen season in college. If hes willing to work on his motor, verticle and lateral quickness a nice prospect, and those things are fixable. He just needs a conditioning coach to push his motor and get him running hard for long periods.

Red checked him out a few times last summer and that was basically it. The staff is looking for an athletic, high motor big as you can see with the pattern of bigs that are offered in 2015 such as Diallo, Diagne, and Silva. A slow unathletic big guy doesn't fit into what the staff is looking for down the line.

Red checked him out a few times last summer and that was basically it. The staff is looking for an athletic, high motor big as you can see with the pattern of bigs that are offered in 2015 such as Diallo, Diagne, and Silva. A slow unathletic big guy doesn't fit into what the staff is looking for down the line.
I was just gonna say... not really a fit for our system. Imagine him trying to play one side of the back line in the 2-3... no way he has the lateral quickness to even approach serviceable on D.

I remember when I use to play soccer in jr high, I had all the skills, and a strong kicking foot from years of years of camps and soccer. I just never had the mentor to push my motor, stamina and get my conditioning up. Some kids want it badly just need help finding it.

Hes 6'9 already and could grow another inch or two in the next few years seems to have a good wingspan. Obviously hes no diallo, diagne. I just am a fan of his hook he keeps the ball high and has a certain touch and even better a mental toughness with it.

Last edited:
That's gotta be a bad sign on some level. Doesn't seem like we're getting Diagne and Bryant.

One thing I hate about coaching (obviously I've never coached college athletes) is trying to convince a kid it's a good idea to have a motor. That just is such an innate thing for so many people, it's pretty hard to grow a motor, in my opinion, it's much easier to grow skills, than it is to develop a motor.

That's gotta be a bad sign on some level. Doesn't seem like we're getting Diagne and Bryant.

I would not read too much into the offer. I think with DC's knee injury the coaching staff are desperate to get at least one good center for 2015 to replace Christmas. I think Govan is just another offer in the hope to get least one of the three.

Here's what inspired the coaches: "Govan apparently caught the attention of the Syracuse coaching staff at last weekend's Nike EYBL AAU event in Sacramento, Calif. Govan, who plays for the AAU club Team Lightning, had back-to-back performances of 22 points and six rebounds and 17 points and seven rebounds."

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebaske...xtends_offer_to_2015_center_jessie_govan.html

I would not read too much into the offer. I think with DC's knee injury the coaching staff are desperate to get at least one good center for 2015 to replace Christmas. I think Govan is just another offer in the hope to get least one of the three.

Here's what inspired the coaches: "Govan apparently caught the attention of the Syracuse coaching staff at last weekend's Nike EYBL AAU event in Sacramento, Calif. Govan, who plays for the AAU club Team Lightning, had back-to-back performances of 22 points and six rebounds and 17 points and seven rebounds."

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebaske...xtends_offer_to_2015_center_jessie_govan.html

Totally agree coaching staff wants to make sure they are not left on the sidelines. One spot left possibly two but I think they would like to get a big locked up then play a wait and see game after that to see if anyone leaves early or transfers. Sounds like this guy impressed and nothing wrong with making offer becasue if Diange and Bryant are dragging their feet may make them commit and if not you still may have a spot open up next spring if they are holding out until after their season. It would ensure you have a big that they obviosly feel comfortable with. I think you will see Diagne decide this upcoming month, if he goes a different direction just means SU will go a different direction.

Makes you wonder. This kid is just down the road in Buffalo. Did we put all our chips in the wrong baskets? Remains to be seen.

He has to be a backup plan for Diagne and Bryant. If Diagne is deciding in a month I can't see him choosing someone else. I still think Bryant comes here to, but he shouldn't wait long if he wants to join the party.

He has to be a backup plan for Diagne and Bryant. If Diagne is deciding in a month I can't see him choosing someone else. I still think Bryant comes here to, but he shouldn't wait long if he wants to join the party.

Hard to say. This new kid is ranked #66 with offers from the likes of Louisville, so he must be a decent prospect.

I think an equally likely explanation is that they want to bring in a five player class that includes two centers, they plan to realistically only get one of Bryant / Diagne, and this is the next guy up.

After being caught by surprise several times recently by kids leaving early for the NBA when the staff didn't expect it, I think JB may be willing to accept a class of 5 commits when he only has 4 scholarships open in case someone bolts after the season. Insurance against someone like C Mc or Roberson having a better than expected year and off to the draft. Many coaches do it. And we have mocked some for doing it and then forcing a kid out when it hits the fan (like Crean did with Patterson). In the event we were to be 1 kid over, I wonder if JB would just keep the kid as a walk on by paying his tuition out of his own pocket for the next year.

JB paying a kids tuition would get us an NCAA tourney ban pretty quickly and would be then end of his career. I think they went out to watch Diagne and Bryant and saw this kid play a lot better than both of them and said what does it hurt to make an offer. Any of the three if we lock one down we are in a perfect situation going into the spring.

After being caught by surprise several times recently by kids leaving early for the NBA when the staff didn't expect it, I think JB may be willing to accept a class of 5 commits when he only has 4 scholarships open in case someone bolts after the season. Insurance against someone like C Mc or Roberson having a better than expected year and off to the draft. Many coaches do it. And we have mocked some for doing it and then forcing a kid out when it hits the fan (like Crean did with Patterson). In the event we were to be 1 kid over, I wonder if JB would just keep the kid as a walk on by paying his tuition out of his own pocket for the next year.
I can't read his mind but I seriously doubt JB would be willing take an extra commit as insurance and I'm positive he wouldn't just pay his tuition out of his pocket. C'mon unless he adopted him, afterall don't children of employees go to SU free. LOL. JB is very charitable but does he have a spare bedroom for the kid?

they would only offer him if they thought he was good enough to play here, whether now or 3 years from now for a redshirt kid

I think this new development is pretty simple, Diange and Bryant have not made a commitment and our staff so a kid outplay both of them that we think we have a shot at so no harm no foul extending an offer. The only harm that can come from it is if either of the two above are leaning another direction could force them to make a decision, but at least you know where you stand.

I think this new development is pretty simple, Diange and Bryant have not made a commitment and our staff so a kid outplay both of them that we think we have a shot at so no harm no foul extending an offer. The only harm that can come from it is if either of the two above are leaning another direction could force them to make a decision, but at least you know where you stand.

what this offer tells me is they are willing to accept any 2 of the 3 that want to commit. plus it will put a little pressure on one another to make their decision. kind of like Joseph, and Whitehead last year. First ones to commit get the spots. they wouldn't have offered if they didn't like his game just as much as Diagne/Bryant.

@TheRecruitScoop
Georgetown is hosting 2015 center Jessie Govan of New York Lightning (NY) on campus, along with USF transfer John Egbunu, this weekend.

This may be to put some pressure on them deciding.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom