Jordan Evans? | Syracusefan.com

Jordan Evans?

RoofBeam

2nd String
For those of you who are familiar with Evans from HS, did he seem slow and tentative? Of course he is recovering from an injury and the second middies did not get a lot of run against Army but I wonder if he is hurting or rusty. He did not seem like the kind of explosive dodger I was imagining.

I don't think he was ever super fast, especially with that knee wrap on! He's more of a smart player and will become a great feeder I think he was unlucky not pick up a point, it's not his offense and played within it, was good to see him out there!

he's an attackman in my opinion. i'm sure they stick him at middie to get him PT but I really expect him to move into Staats' role next year.

Yeah, the knee wrap was disappointing and he almost lost his footing coming out of dodge so I am not sure how physically comfortable he is right now- seemed like he was on skates the few times he carried the ball. The kid certainly hasn't been able to catch any breaks from a physical health perspective and I guess he is playing out of position. A red shirt would make sense to me here unless the coaches really think he can make a difference with the second middies.

I don't think he was ever super fast, especially with that knee wrap on! He's more of a smart player and will become a great feeder I think he was unlucky not pick up a point, it's not his offense and played within it, was good to see him out there!

If he's destined to spend another year at SSDM I don't see how they don't do a redshirt.

If he's destined to spend another year at SSDM I don't see how they don't do a redshirt.

He ran with the second midfield last night so the red shirt is blown for this year. One of the downsides of Syracuse only playing 12 games with a very tough schedule is there aren't may Siena type games where SU can get some of its younger guy in like Evans who really need the reps. St. Johns is probably the only real game left like that and its a week after the UVA game. Hobart has the potential to be a game like that but Hobart always considers that game their super bowl so the games usually much closer then it really should be. Colgate looks much improved this year and lets be honest, with it being the last game of the year does it really matter who gets PT at that point?

He ran with the second midfield last night so the red shirt is blown for this year. One of the downsides of Syracuse only playing 12 games with a very tough schedule is there aren't may Siena type games where SU can get some of its younger guy in like Evans who really need the reps. St. Johns is probably the only real game left like that and its a week after the UVA game. Hobart has the potential to be a game like that but Hobart always considers that game their super bowl so the games usually much closer then it really should be. Colgate looks much improved this year and lets be honest, with it being the last game of the year does it really matter who gets PT at that point?

Thought that too JC. Looked at the schedule this morning and didn't really see any gimme wins. Will be tough to get the young guys PT. Evans will play, but the Forkins, Lanes, etc., will probably not see much time.

I don't think the redshirt is technically blown. If he doesn't play in a certain number of games- for example, if he exacerbated the injury yesterday and was out for the rest of the season- the redshirt would still be intact. I can't remember what the ratio is but it is something like 1/4 or 1/3 of the number of total games. I think these games also have to occur before some reasonable point of the season (for example, you can't be on the bench all year and then play the last 3 games of the season and retain a redshirt).

I thought the redshirt was based on percentage of games played?

What RoofBeam said!

Unless his leg falls off, he's not going to be redshirted. He's an integral part of the 2nd middle line.

Which plays about as much as the 1st middle line.

Unless his leg falls off, he's not going to be redshirted. He's an integral part of the 2nd middle line.

nor should he be redshirted. A lot of games left, he's got plenty of time to get comfortable and work his way back. Championship or bust this year, we need all hands on deck!

I thought the redshirt was based on percentage of games played?

What RoofBeam said!

I believe it used to be but I think now its much like football, once you have played a second the redshirt is blown. I believe if he was to reinjure himself you could apply for a medical redshirt because of the % of games played would fall under the threshold as roofbeam noted. OrangExtreme is usually good with this type of stuff perhaps he can clarify.

I believe it used to be but I think now its much like football, once you have played a second the redshirt is blown. I believe if he was to reinjure himself you could apply for a medical redshirt because of the % of games played would fall under the threshold as roofbeam noted. OrangExtreme is usually good with this type of stuff perhaps he can clarify.

3 games -or- 30% (rounded up), whichever is greater.

14.2.4 Hardship Waiver. A student-athlete may be granted an additional year of competition by the conference
or the Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement for reasons of “hardship.” Hardship is defined as an
incapacity resulting from an injury or illness that has occurred under all of the following conditions: (Revised:
8/8/02, 11/1/07 effective 8/1/08)
(a) The incapacitating injury or illness occurs in one of the four seasons of intercollegiate competition at any two year
or four-year collegiate institutions or occurs after the first day of classes in the student-athlete’s senior year
in high school; (Revised: 1/10/92 effective 8/1/92, 11/1/01, 8/8/02)
(b) The injury or illness occurs prior to the first competition of the second half of the playing season that concludes
with the NCAA championship in that sport (see Bylaw 14.2.4.3.4) and results in incapacity to compete
for the remainder of that playing season; (Revised: 1/14/97 effective 8/1/97, 4/26/01 effective 8/1/01,
4/3/02, 4/24/08)
(c) In team sports, the injury or illness occurs when the student-athlete has not participated in more than three
contests or dates of competition (whichever is applicable to that sport) or 30 percent (whichever number is
greater) of the institution’s scheduled or completed contests or dates of competition in his or her sport. Only
scheduled or completed competition against outside participants during the playing season that concludes
with the NCAA championship, or, if so designated, during the official NCAA championship playing season
in that sport (e.g., spring baseball, fall soccer), shall be countable under this limitation in calculating both the
number of contests or dates of competition in which the student-athlete has participated and the number of
scheduled or completed contests or dates of competition during that season in the sport.

Thought that too JC. Looked at the schedule this morning and didn't really see any gimme wins. Will be tough to get the young guys PT. Evans will play, but the Forkins, Lanes, etc., will probably not see much time.

I understand why Desko and the staff only scheduled the 12 games. They wanted to get a week in between most (not all) games this year and really give the team a chance to rest and go over the scouting report. The problem is when you do that with our type of schedule its very difficult to get PT to the younger guys especially when it comes to offense.

Personally I think Syracuse would have been better served scheduling a lower tear team like they did last year with Binghamton half way through the season to get some younger guys on both sides of the ball some run and allow Desko to tinker with a few things that cant be done vs Duke, ND, UNC etc.

Also as much as I hate to look ahead I think it really would have benefited next years team when SU is trying to replace 5 of its 6 starting O players. Guys like Forkin, Westin, Lane, Simmons, Desko, McGinley and others really could use some PT this year because unless Desko is planning on bringing several transfers to supplement the offense next year were going to have to rely on some these guys to make an immediate impace and outside of maybe Forkin I dont see any of those guys ready to play less start next year against Starting Div 1 players. Along those lines it also makes Salcido's struggles this year very dissapointing after a hyped pre-season.

3 games -or- 30% (rounded up), whichever is greater.

14.2.4 Hardship Waiver. A student-athlete may be granted an additional year of competition by the conference
or the Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement for reasons of “hardship.” Hardship is defined as an
incapacity resulting from an injury or illness that has occurred under all of the following conditions: (Revised:
8/8/02, 11/1/07 effective 8/1/08)
(a) The incapacitating injury or illness occurs in one of the four seasons of intercollegiate competition at any two year
or four-year collegiate institutions or occurs after the first day of classes in the student-athlete’s senior year
in high school; (Revised: 1/10/92 effective 8/1/92, 11/1/01, 8/8/02)
(b) The injury or illness occurs prior to the first competition of the second half of the playing season that concludes
with the NCAA championship in that sport (see Bylaw 14.2.4.3.4) and results in incapacity to compete
for the remainder of that playing season; (Revised: 1/14/97 effective 8/1/97, 4/26/01 effective 8/1/01,
4/3/02, 4/24/08)
(c) In team sports, the injury or illness occurs when the student-athlete has not participated in more than three
contests or dates of competition (whichever is applicable to that sport) or 30 percent (whichever number is
greater) of the institution’s scheduled or completed contests or dates of competition in his or her sport. Only
scheduled or completed competition against outside participants during the playing season that concludes
with the NCAA championship, or, if so designated, during the official NCAA championship playing season
in that sport (e.g., spring baseball, fall soccer), shall be countable under this limitation in calculating both the
number of contests or dates of competition in which the student-athlete has participated and the number of
scheduled or completed contests or dates of competition during that season in the sport.

Just to clarify this is something that has to be applied for and granted correct? Its not an automatic believe.

Just to clarify this is something that has to be applied for and granted correct? Its not an automatic believe.

If he reinjures himself during the 1st half of the season, and he hasn't played more than 4 games (30% of 13 = 3.9, rounded up. The ACCT counts as 1 game), he would have to apply for a "medical hardship waiver".

The NCAA usually grants them without a problem, as long as you have a redshirt year still available.

But since Evans isn't going to get hurt ever again, this is a moot point. :rolleyes:;)

If he reinjures himself during the 1st half of the season, and he hasn't played more than 4 games (30% of 13 = 3.9, rounded up. The ACCT counts as 1 game), he would have to apply for a "medical hardship waiver".

The NCAA usually grants them without a problem, as long as you have a redshirt year still available.

But since Evans isn't going to get hurt ever again, this is a moot point. :rolleyes:;)

OK thanks I had pretty much the same thoughts in my mind but couldnt remember if the waiver was usually a sure thing or was more scrutinized. Hope he stays healthy, really would like to see him get some more PT over the course of the year so we can see what we really have. I am already assuming he will be moved back to attack next year to team with Donahue and a yet to be determined third guy. Maybe Forkin but might be to similar to the other two guys

The trainer Troy Gelt is one of the best they wouldn't put Evans out there if they thought he was going re aggravate the injury!

OK thanks I had pretty much the same thoughts in my mind but couldnt remember if the waiver was usually a sure thing or was more scrutinized. Hope he stays healthy, really would like to see him get some more PT over the course of the year so we can see what we really have. I am already assuming he will be moved back to attack next year to team with Donahue and a yet to be determined third guy. Maybe Forkin but might be to similar to the other two guys

We're losing all 3 starters off the 1st Middle line. There will be a place for him somewhere.

We're losing all 3 starters off the 1st Middle line. There will be a place for him somewhere.

Oh trust me I am well aware of all of the graduation losses next year. I just think its a no brainer he gets moved to attack, makes way to much sense. If your talking about Forkin, yes I think he could play at Mid to if needed. I wonder if I guy like Thorpe or one of incoming frosh O players could compete for playing time.

I think Thorpe, Ferguson or Voigt could compete! Shewell is a great freshman good finisher inside and gets the job done and Riley OSullivan will do well at Cuse he's got a cannon.

This

The second middie line does not play as much as the first middie line- it is not even close, nor should it be. I understand that Evans is not likely to be redshirted and that he is recovering from an injury so I am hopeful that last night was not representative of what he can add to the team. Right now I am not sure that anyone on that second unit can carry effectively against D1 opponents.

This

Not much changing of any def lines last night we never saw Tait or Ralph

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom