Class of 2017 - JUCO LB Gary Johnson (KS) Verbal to Texas | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 JUCO LB Gary Johnson (KS) Verbal to Texas

Johnson Continues To See Offers Roll In

http://img.At their request, this network is being blocked from this site./sites/default/files/2016/02/17/gary%20johnson.jpg?w=620&h=413&fit=max
2017 Dodge City LB Gary Johnson is fast becoming one of the biggest JUCO recruiting targets on either side of the ball
http://img.At their request, this network is being blocked from this site./sites/default/files/styles/author/public/avatar/scott_400x400_0.JPG?w=50&h=50&faces=true
Scott Eklund
02/17/2016
2017 Dodge City LB Gary Johnson (6-2, 215) put up monster numbers as a freshman last season and so far, that productivity, to go along with his outstanding football instincts and athleticism, has drawn the attention of a handful of four-year schools that have offered and more schools could be getting into the mix very soon...

As a freshman last season, Johnson led the Conquistadors with 133 tackles while finishing second in sacks (8) and third in tackles-for-loss (13.5). He also forced four fumbles, recovered three fumbles and had a team-leading four interceptions.

"I'm relentless when it comes to getting to the ball," Johnson told JCFootball.com recently. "I just love to hit and I sell out my body to make a play or I do my best to bounce it to my teammates."

With his outstanding productivity to go along with his solid football instincts and athleticism, Johnson has already hauled in seven offers and more could be on the way.

"I currently hold offers from Akron, Arkansas State, Bylor, Iowa State, Memphis, South Alabama and UAB," Johnson said. "I have also been talking a lot with Ole Miss, Central Florida and Auburn, but they haven't offered yet."

Johnson said he's open to visiting some schools during the spring and summer, but at this point, nothing has been planned.

As a prep at Doublas (Al.) High School, Johnson was a big-time prospect who was getting looks from schools across the college spectrum, but he was unable to qualify, so he headed to Dodge City to get away from any outside influences, allowing him to focus on football and school.

"As far as football is concerned, I'd heard that Dodge City was a good program and they had great coaches and they did a good job of getting a lot of guys moved on to four-year schools," Johnson said. "I felt like it was the best place for me and I am really happy that I came here because I am having a good time and learning a lot about the game."

Johnson is on pace to finish up his two-year degree in December and he will have three years to play two following the 2016 football season.

Strange offer no? Kid is from Alabama and committed to Alabama. I'm surprised we're trying to get in.

Think we were at Dodge City for Marquis Blair and probably threw a flyer at this kid. No chance he flips, so nothing to see here.
You're probably right. I hope he enjoys playing on special teams because that is where he'll end-up at Bama.

I hate these kinds of posts - this kid is the #1 rated JUCO player this year (per his post) - if that's the case he has a damn good chance at winning a starting spot wherever he goes.
I get your point and I wasn't knocking the kid.

Bama gets 5* LB's out of HS every recruiting class and GJ's chances of playing are significantly lower there than most other schools.

I hope he's very happy wherever he decides to play his last two seasons.

I hate these kinds of posts - this kid is the #1 rated JUCO player this year (per his post) - if that's the case he has a damn good chance at winning a starting spot wherever he goes.

there's an article out there poking fun at the services because on a Friday this kid was a nobody and by Monday (after committing to Bama) he was rated 4 stars and the #1 JUCO in the land.

(but I get your point)

Academic requirements in the SEC...that tweet has to be from like the Onion right?

If true, what requirements could be prohibitive in the SEC?

Beats the heck out of me. The article above claims that he will graduate in December. If true, that usually means there's less to worry about in terms of academics. I know that the SEC has a signing cap and if you go over a certain number of mid-year transfers, that affects how many you can sign to enroll in the Fall. Maybe he got caught up in a numbers game at Alabama? But I still don't see why that would stop him from signing with another SEC school. Anyway, not worth losing any sleep over.

He committed to Bama back in March. SU just offered him on Thursday after they probably evaluated him academically. My guess is that Bama, like many SEC schools, over recruited and he got caught in the numbers game.

Oh I like this development very much!

Hmm...
IMG_5976.GIF

Gary Johnson, Dodge City ILB - Scout

According to his profile, no SEC schools are pursuing him now. Great article find above guys

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom