Class of 2015 - JUCO OLB Ted Taylor (KS) Signed LOI | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 JUCO OLB Ted Taylor (KS) Signed LOI

CuseLegacy

B977KLmCAAALwm1.jpg:large

SS/OLB hybrid we missed out on this class. Looks pretty raw -- doesn't use his hands the very well and doesn't look 100% comfortable playing out of a tradition LB position. That being said, he moves really well and is certainly athletic and explosive enough to play at this level. I can see why they took a a shot at him this late in the cycle.

B977KLmCAAALwm1.jpg:large

An extremely reliable source inside the program told me recently that the staff really wants to add a linebacker to the fold that can play the boundary/buck/SAM position.

We really don't have anyone on the roster right now who is ideal for the position. Think a player like Dy Davis. They are really looking for another Dy Davis type player...tall, fast, really athletic and tough.

I am sure it will be a focus for the 2016 class as well.

sutomcat said:
An extremely reliable source inside the program told me recently that the staff really wants to add a linebacker to the fold that can play the boundary/buck/SAM position. We really don't have anyone on the roster right now who is ideal for the position. Think a player like Dy Davis. They are really looking for another Dy Davis type player...tall, fast, really athletic and tough. I am sure it will be a focus for the 2016 class as well.

Wonder what that means for J.Thomas - always had him pegged as DD's replacement...

Move to safety? Line?

Wonder what that means for J.Thomas - always had him pegged as DD's replacement...

Move to safety? Line?

We need depth there right now. Hodge and Frankin in the middle, Bennet and Thomas at the will, Moskal and Vigile at the SAM I believe. Who knows that is going to happen with Arcinega and his injury to be honey, and I'm not sure Arlik Perry sees the field here outside of specials. We need a guy who can come in on 3rd downs and get after the QB and drop into coverage ala Kirkland's role the last two years.

An extremely reliable source inside the program told me recently that the staff really wants to add a linebacker to the fold that can play the boundary/buck/SAM position.

We really don't have anyone on the roster right now who is ideal for the position. Think a player like Dy Davis. They are really looking for another Dy Davis type player...tall, fast, really athletic and tough.

I am sure it will be a focus for the 2016 class as well.

With all the linebackers we took last year and this, they were all Wills and Mikes? No one can be molded into a SAM?

Did I just whip something up on Ted Taylor? You bet your arse I did! http://.com/syracuse-football-not-done-with-class-of-15/

Also, this position makes a lot of sense to pursue when you recall that the staff was hoping to finish out the class by adding Doyle Grimes. Taylor looks to play the same sort of position that Grimes would have projected to.

Move to safety? Line?
The plan is for Thomas to play on the wide side. He can do it but he isn't ideal for it. The big problem is we have a lot of MIKE and WILL types on the LB unit but not many SAMs.

Another tidbit to share: if Luke gets another year of eligibility, he will play DE, not LB. At least that was the plan as of a week or so ago...

The plan is for Thomas to play on the wide side. He can do it but he isn't ideal for it. The big problem is we have a lot of MIKE and WILL types on the LB unit but not many SAMs.

Another tidbit to share: if Luke gets another year of eligibility, he will play DE, not LB. At least that was the plan as of a week or so ago...

That makes a lot of sense for Arcinega. His size / speed are a better fit there than as a LB in our system, IMO. I have no idea whether he is suited for pass rush, etc. but we'll be looking for depth at DE after losing both starters, and he could easily find a spot in the rotation there.

I'm not going to get into the names and stuff or great detail but I believe a couple of the linebackers have a short window to straighten out some off field stuff or shy Troy and this guy may shock you into who will be on the field come September.

I'm not going to get into the names and stuff or great detail but I believe a couple of the linebackers have a short window to straighten out some off field stuff or shy Troy and this guy may shock you into who will be on the field come September.

As much as I'd love some of our freshman to see surprising minutes this fall, I'll cry like a child if Zaire, Thomas or Hodge are out.

Zaire ain't out, he was just named to the All ACC Academic team. Hard to believe it's Hodge or Moskal.

So that leaves 4 others, one upperclassman barely gets on the field, two frosh and Perry.

REALLY hope Thomas is fine. I think this kid can be a great one.

Here's your current backers:

7 Oliver Vigille LB 6-2 225 R-Sr. Miami, Fla. / Miami Central
11 Colton Moskal LB 6-0 225 So. Lake Zurich, Ill. / Lake Zurich
17 Jonathan Thomas LB 6-1 202 So. Lawrenceville, Ga. / Collins Hill
30 Parris Bennett LB 6-0 223 So. Detroit, Mich. / University of Detroit Jesuit
33 Marqez Hodge LB 5-11 218 Jr. Miami, Fla. / Miami Central
45 Zaire Franklin LB 6-0 238 So. Philadelphia, Pa. / La Salle College
49 Alryk Perry LB 6-1 215 Jr. Columbus, Ala. / Glenwood School

I was sort of thinking they’d move Hodge to the SAM and back up the middle with Moskal. Is Hodge too short for SAM?
I think the only given with the LB group is that Franklin is going to play the MIKE position. That is pretty much set in stone. He is a special player and his leadership and calming influence on the rest of the defense is also badly needed. It was amazing the impact he made on that unit from the day he started playing.

Hodge is a little too short to be an ideal SAM. The feeling on him is that he is going to play and will likely start. He is capable of playing all 3 positions but like a number of others on the LB unit, is probably best suited to play the WILL position.

From what I hear, going into the spring anyway, the 3rd starting position is expected to come down to Bennett or Thomas.

Bennett impressed last fall, is smart and has a lot of athletic ability. I think he is clearly ahead of Thomas right now in how close he is to being ready to play but things could change in the spring.

If we had to play today, I am quite sure it would be SAM: Hodge, MIKE: Franklin and WILL: Bennett. The SAM and WILL positions are very fluid though and it is possible a true frosh or a JUCO, if we get one, could play themselves into the mix very quickly. Not unlike what we saw with Franklin this season.

As much as I'd love some of our freshman to see surprising minutes this fall, I'll cry like a child if Zaire, Thomas or Hodge are out.

Zaire will be in the NFL one day. No way he is out, especially after all the reps he got as a freshman.

Zaire ain't out, he was just named to the All ACC Academic team. Hard to believe it's Hodge or Moskal.

So that leaves 4 others, one upperclassman barely gets on the field, two frosh and Perry.

Am I the only concerned by the striking lack of height or size in that list?

I expect at least one of Shy, Henderson or the JUCO to be on the field in 2015 anyway.

Thomas is smaller than most safeties. I wonder if these are last year's numbers?