Class of 2015 - JUCO OLB Ted Taylor (KS) Signed LOI | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 JUCO OLB Ted Taylor (KS) Signed LOI

Give me a break I'm so sick of hearing Jay Bromley. That's a once every couple decade find. Plus this kid is 2 years out of HS. If he was going to develop into a dominant force he would have done so by now so save the Bromley stuff. Oh and Malcolm Howard says hello.

Actually this continues the tradition of working the waiver wire to fill out holes in the roster. Broms, Harris, the kids from Hofstra, Paulus, Chris Hogan (almost)

It's the 85th scholie on the roster, if it fills a need, what's the harm?

Actually this continues the tradition of working the waiver wire to fill out holes in the roster. Broms, Harris, the kids from Hofstra, Paulus, Chris Hogan (almost)

Exactly. It's the 85th scholarship on the roster. What exactly is the problem? :noidea:

Agreed--leave no rock unturned.

If the kid "only" ends up being a special teams contributor, even that has value.

Last edited:
Based upon what? Hypothetical truisms about this being a JUCO?

We have a definitive need at LB, specifically the SAM. Not all LBs are suited to play the position. Taylor has the athletic tools to play there, perha

If the kid "only" ends up being a special teams contributor, even that has value.
Yup - 6-2, 215, 4.5 speed...even if he just becomes a hell of a gunner on punt coverage, it's worth the scholarship to me.

Yup - 6-2, 215, 4.5 speed...even if he just becomes a hell of a gunner on punt coverage, it's worth the scholarship to me.

There is absolutely no chance in hell the kid runs a 4.5.

Based upon what? Hypothetical truisms about this being a JUCO?

We have a definitive need at LB, specifically the SAM. Not all LBs are suited to play the position. Taylor has the athletic tools to play there, perha

So if the kid is so good why did we just start recruiting him 2 days ago, and no other program, at any level has recruited him? I know, I know our staff is that much better at spotting talent.

I'm 6'3 210lbs as well, does that mean i have the athletic tools to play there?

Give me a break I'm so sick of hearing Jay Bromley. That's a once every couple decade find. Plus this kid is 2 years out of HS. If he was going to develop into a dominant force he would have done so by now so save the Bromley stuff. Oh and Malcolm Howard says hello.
Almost every team has a Jay Bromley story. Most, of course, don't pan out. But you never know. And that is why you don't hoard ships. Give them all out and take your chances.

Maybe on the D line? And then there would a few guys here posting about how your speed will kill.

So if the kid is so good why did we just start recruiting him 2 days ago, and no other program, at any level has recruited him? I know, I know our staff is that much better at spotting talent.

Just curious, and I'm honestly asking this because I didn't see - were you asking these same questions about Kenterius Womack last week? We only started recruiting him last Monday, and everyone is pretty excited about him.

Almost every team has a Jay Bromley story. Most, of course, don't pan out. But you never know. And that is why you don't hoard ships. Give them all out and take your chances.

Ok, so take your chance on a HS kid. This kid is already 2 years out of HS. He has 2 years left to play, if he was going to develop into Jayson Bromley he would be showing some signs by now.

And by my count this would be the 4th scholarship used on the hope of snagging a Jay Bromley type of player. None have panned out thus far, so there are 4 scholarships. Mind you we aren't good enough where we can keep wasting scholarships.

Just curious, and I'm honestly asking this because I didn't see - were you asking these same questions about Kenterius Womack last week? We only started recruiting him last Monday, and everyone is pretty excited about him.

No i was absolutely thrilled about Womack. And so were the 100 other coaches who called inquiring about him.

I can understand the flier, but use it on an under recruited HS kid who may have slipper through the cracks. You have 5 years to develop him. With a JUCO kid he will be 2 years out of HS, and if he was going to turn into something he would have by now. JUCO kids rarely slip through the cracks. At that point they can either play, or they can't. Not much room left for growth.

I'm guessing that's where the similarities between your, um, "measurables" and this kid's begin and end. And I certainly doubt that you have a fraction of the athleticism nor the speed this kid boasts. No offense to you, but I put a lot more stock in what posters who are former coaches like CIL have to say in terms of reviewing film / evaluating speed than you.

I don't disagree that this deviates from normal recruiting. I'm certainly not predicting that he's going to start, let alone star. But athletes do slip through the cracks. Womack is a helluva athlete--why was HE not recruited by no other program at any level [I know there were a few nibbles, but not appreciably more than Taylor] by national signing day? BTW, that happened with the former Alabama head coach [DuBose] as his HS head coach. How?

We were in a position where we had a couple of open scholarships. The staff didn't have to use them, which I know is what you advocated. But they made the decision to CHOICEFULLY extend those scholarships to players who they thought could upgrade the team's athleticism. Both Womack and Taylor apparently fit that bill.

How it plays out from there, who knows? But per my note above, even if Taylor only ends up as a contributor on special teams [like Llewellen Coker a few seasons ago--yes, I know he also played on the tank package, but he ended up primarily making his contributions on special teams], that's not a waste of a scholarship nor is it going down the list to nab a B-Lister, at least not in the traditional sense. We had zero incentive to use that scholarship just to fill a hole--that's important to keep in mind.

Last edited:
In the face of conventional wisdom most people will always cling to the counter example, the what-if situation that comes along once in an incredibly rare time frame in order to hold on for some kind of hope...

Could be simply a kid that fell through the cracks. Why do kids go JUCO over Prep in most cases? Grades or size. What have he had issues with getting some FL HS kids on campus? Grades. How could a stud JUCO player get overlooked? Injury

It's really tough finding much specific info on the guy BUT he had 64 tackles in 2013 @ Dodge City as a Frosh. Per last years Dodge City box scores looks as if he played the first 2 games completely, played in the 3rd, and then didnt play again until their final game on December 7th where he was once again their leading tackler. Easy to disappear from teams radars when you're not on the field.

http://www.dc3.edu/campus-life/athletics/football/schedule

It's all guess work but based on whats avail online he missed from 8/31-12/7 last year for some reason. Perhaps at some point we'll know what it is injury or otherwise? Perhaps not.

I can't find anything stat wise for Dwyer HS football without subscribing anywhere but they are a premier FL football school and were successful in his time there.

An extremely reliable source inside the program told me recently that the staff really wants to add a linebacker to the fold that can play the boundary/buck/SAM position.

We really don't have anyone on the roster right now who is ideal for the position. Think a player like Dy Davis. They are really looking for another Dy Davis type player...tall, fast, really athletic and tough.

I am sure it will be a focus for the 2016 class as well.
Another Dyshawn - I hope this hunch proves out!

What's better - having an open scholarship or giving to it a walk-on, or giving to someone who at a minimum is athletic enough and a strong enough tackler that he can contribute on specials? Worst case scenario - he keeps the wear and tear down on the rotation linebackers who would otherwise be playing on specials. Don't really get the debate - now if this was the first add for the 2016 class I'm right there with you. But he's gone in 2 years and you can re-recruit at that time anyway. This isn't a 4 year commitment.

Isn't this 1 of 2 JUCO's we took this class? That is pretty good! And the other JUCO is Dunk who should be starting this year, so to have only one JUCO guy for this year who is a project isn't bad at all.

anomander said:
There is absolutely no chance in hell the kid runs a 4.5. So if the kid is so good why did we just start recruiting him 2 days ago, and no other program, at any level has recruited him? I know, I know our staff is that much better at spotting talent. I'm 6'3 210lbs as well, does that mean i have the athletic tools to play there?
it's gonna be okay man relax... Let's see what happens in the fall with Ted