Class of 2015 - JUCO OLB Ted Taylor (KS) Signed LOI | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 JUCO OLB Ted Taylor (KS) Signed LOI

Not a good thread for you here anomander, your hand wringing, and whining about a guy that was brought in for what looks like depth and specials is really a bit ridiculous. Back in the day, when I was really stirring it up, I would take a gentleman's self imposed ban after exhibiting similar behavior. I recommend you consider it, does a lot of good for the individual.

Hey what can I say? It happens from time to time. I believe last time was the Wes Lindor thread. Plus some of my best work didn't even make the cut.

Would have rather kept Dana Levine.

Hope the kid succeeds but I hate taking JUCO prospects as projects.
why? take on a 4 year project late or a 2 year project late - I'd much rather see them take the 2 year flyer that at the least provides short-term help on specials

You don't waste a scholarship on a JUCO because you need special team help.
???
you don't "waste" a scholarship ever big fella. the staff clearly thinks the kid can contribute, but if they're wrong it's better to have a two year hit to the roster than four. Not sure why so many on this board get their panties all bunched up whenever they see the term JUCO.

You don't waste a scholarship on a JUCO because you need special team help.

I couldn't disagree more. Your LB's and S's are the guys who are playing specials and you can save redshirts by playing JUCO's on special (assuming they are good enough).

If Taylor can play specials this year and allow either Henderson or Cullen to redshirt, that's a big plus.

I would rather freshman didn't play specials and redshirted (only Moskal redshirted last year).

I just don't understand why people are not happy with this kid. I am curious, what scholarship JUCO's didn't see the field for Syracuse since Shaf took over?

Arciniega
Kelly
Kirkland
Lasker
Marona (concussions)
Miller
Trejo
Williams

None

Dunkel
Taylor

I couldn't disagree more. Your LB's and S's are the guys who are playing specials and you can save redshirts by playing JUCO's on special (assuming they are good enough).

If Taylor can play specials this year and allow either Henderson or Cullen to redshirt, that's a big plus.

I would rather freshman didn't play specials and redshirted (only Moskal redshirted last year).

I just don't understand why people are not happy with this kid. I am curious, what scholarship JUCO's didn't see the field for Syracuse since Shaf took over?

Arciniega
Kelly
Kirkland
Lasker
Marona (concussions)
Miller
Trejo
Williams

None

Dunkel
Taylor
but, but, but - JUCO!!!

high school kids always pan out - don't you know that?

Arciniega
Kelly
Kirkland
Lasker
Marona (concussions)
Miller
Trejo
Williams

Other then Kelly that list is a whole lot of blah. Is that above really what we are striving for? Good lord.

anomander said:
Other then Kelly that list is a whole lot of blah. Is that above really what we are striving for? Good lord.

About half those guys jumped into the two-deep over old Marrone recruits.

Juco = low upside, low floor (typically).

Depth. No team has 85 starter caliber players. Role players are important.

I don't think anyone thinks Sean Avant has starter potential with his 3 catches for 21 yards as a redshirt frosh, but he is a solid depth player who was signed very late after signing day.

In reality, what is the difference between an Avant and a Taylor? Both role players at their respective positions.

timkay99 said:
Juco = low upside, low floor (typically). Depth. No team has 85 starter caliber players. Role players are important. I don't think anyone thinks Sean Avant has starter potential with his 3 catches for 21 yards as a redshirt frosh, but he is a solid depth player who was signed very late after signing day. In reality, what is the difference between an Avant and a Taylor? Both role players at their respective positions.

Avant was looking like a non qualifier until the very last minute. I think we caught a break with him. I believe he had a pretty active recruitment.

And no wonder we were 3-9
yeah, if only there were 7 more lightly recruited redshirt frosh on the roster last year the season would've been WAY better (lightly recruited b/c the staff didn't bring those guys in over interested blue chip kids)

and now they'd have the bonus luxury of 7 fewer schollies available next season to use on the trail

makes perfect sense :rolleyes:

???
you don't "waste" a scholarship ever big fella. the staff clearly thinks the kid can contribute, but if they're wrong it's better to have a two year hit to the roster than four. Not sure why so many on this board get their panties all bunched up whenever they see the term JUCO.
"Waste" wasn't referring to Taylor, as I said I hope he pans out. I have no problem taking JUCO guys like Dunkelberger or a guy like Chad Mavety a few years ago.

But a guy that you take after signing day that really didn't have any other offers gives me reason for concern. You want a JUCO in for spring practice so he's ready to go when fall camp comes around.

If the staff thinks he can contribute, fine, I'm just not sold yet.

About half those guys jumped into the two-deep over old Marrone recruits.

Those JUCO's were Marrone recruits. They were used to build out roster to fill out units and add class balance.

It's the very reason why you get JUCO's. It's not an indictment of anything, it's a tool you use to rebuild a program.

Yeesh.

"Waste" wasn't referring to Taylor, as I said I hope he pans out. I have no problem taking JUCO guys like Dunkelberger or a guy like Chad Mavety a few years ago.

But a guy that you take after signing day that really didn't have any other offers gives me reason for concern. You want a JUCO in for spring practice so he's ready to go when fall camp comes around.

If the staff thinks he can contribute, fine, I'm just not sold yet.
I think that's a perfectly reasonable take on this signing.

Ya and that's exactly what I was saying, but yet you had a problem with that? Strange.
if you think that's "exactly what you were saying" - then perhaps you are tone deaf - but whatever

if you think that's "exactly what you were saying" - then perhaps you are tone deaf - but whatever

Not for nothing, but I think I would know what I was saying. Read the thread.

Would have rather kept Dana Levine.

Hope the kid succeeds but I hate taking JUCO prospects as projects.
I agree that JC"projects" are not a good idea but I'm hoping the staff is smarter than that. If not they won't be around much longer.

Not for nothing, but I think I would know what I was saying. Read the thread.
the only time I even responded to you was when you said the JUCO's other than Kelly were a lot of blah - even though in my opinion there are some solid contributors on the list - and the fact that some were in the 2 deep explained why SU was only 3-9 last year

if that's exactly the same to you as having reason for concern with this recruit and not being sold yet - I don't know what to tell you

the only time I even responded to you was when you said the JUCO's other than Kelly were a lot of blah - even though in my opinion there are some solid contributors on the list - and the fact that some were in the 2 deep explained why SU was only 3-9 last year

if that's exactly the same to you as having reason for concern with this recruit and not being sold yet - I don't know what to tell you

We're talking about different things and don't even care enough to explain