Class of 2015 - JUCO OT Calvin Steyn (CA) Visiting | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 JUCO OT Calvin Steyn (CA) Visiting

I guess my point is we aren't at the level where we are able to pull a plug and play JC OT. That's what we tried doing with Lasker, and looks like it back fired. I guess I just feel if we decide to go the JC route as a stop gap all we would be doing is putting things in neutral. We aren't competing for an ACC title anytime soon so i'd just take the blow now, and give ourselves a chance for the future. Now if we can go out and get a plug and play JC guy, like a Chad Mavety, then go for it, but otherwise I just think we are setting ourselves up to repeat a vicious cycle.
I doubt that Shafer would take much consolation in knowing that some other coach's future here is brighter, 4 years hence, when this freshman project begins to contribute.

The career enders to Kurtis and Knapp really hurt.

Interesting side note on Hindy our transfer from Washington, he served as his HS team's long snapper. So nice to see that we have another guy on the roster with experience at that, I wasn't aware of that before.

I doubt that Shafer would take much consolation in knowing that some other coach's future here is brighter, 4 years hence, when this freshman project begins to contribute.

Good call on Kristofer Curtis, I totally forgot about him. I think he was actually penciled in to be the starter at LT in 2012 as a Redshirt Frosh. Big loss.

Last edited:

See that's what I am scared of. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't want to see Shafer bringing in JC kids to help secure his future. I'm more worried about the future of the program.

Will be interesting to see if this is a guy who might challenge for a starting role [a la Chad Mavety], or just a "warm body" for depth.

Interestingly enough, Chad Mavety is a warm body on the sidelines for Florida State. I have watched a few FSU games this year besides when they played SU and he is pretty easy to find on the sidelines with that fro. He looks good in that uni milling about on the sidelines cheering his team on.

Interestingly enough, Chad Mavety is a warm body on the sidelines for Florida State. I have watched a few FSU games this year besides when they played SU and he is pretty easy to find on the sidelines with that fro. He looks good in that uni milling about on the sidelines cheering his team on.

He's the back up OT on a school that has won like 20 something straight games, and future pro's all over their OL. He will start next year, and most likely get drafted off that 1 year.

Sadly, that's an apples to oranges comparison. A "warm body" on Florida State would be the equivalent of the best guy on our team.

Make no mistake: Mavety would have been an impact player here.

He's the back up OT on a school that has won like 20 something straight games, and future pro's all over their OL. He will start next year, and most likely get drafted off that 1 year.
I'm not so sure. FSU moved their best OL from LT to Center and started a true frosh at LT for the Miami game. Is Mavety even on their 2-deep?

I'm not so sure. FSU moved their best OL from LT to Center and started a true frosh at LT for the Miami game. Is Mavety even on their 2-deep?

he's listed as the backup RT but he's only played in 2 games all season; Citadel and Wake Forest; big whoop.

As a JUCO player to sit the bench and play one year is well not that good. Our JUCO lineman do it all the time. Except i'm reading here that JUCOs are bad. Who knows if he'll even play next year.

he's listed as the backup RT but he's only played in 2 games all season; Citadel and Wake Forest; big whoop.

As a JUCO player to sit the bench and play one year is well not that good. Our JUCO lineman do it all the time. Except i'm reading here that JUCOs are bad. Who knows if he'll even play next year.

Umm I think you just explained right there why JUCO's aren't good.

Umm I think you just explained right there why JUCO's aren't good.

I'd say Tiller and Hay and Miller worked out just fine. You don't think Mavety is a warm body, then what exactly is he? He's only gotten garbage snaps in 2 games.

I'd say Tiller and Hay and Miller worked out just fine. You don't think Mavety is a warm body, then what exactly is he? He's only gotten garbage snaps in 2 games.

I'm talking about what you wrote..."For a JUCO guy to sit the bench and play one year is not good at all." Then you say our guys do that all the time. So you are saying it's not good. And your right with Mavety. He was nothing more then a warm body. I really think he would have started here, but that's another story. But if you can't bring in a stud like Mavety and be guaranteed he will play right away then it's really a crap shoot, and a waste of scholarship.

I'm talking about what you wrote..."For a JUCO guy to sit the bench and play one year is not good at all." Then you say our guys do that all the time. So you are saying it's not good. And your right with Mavety. He was nothing more then a warm body. I really think he would have started here, but that's another story. But if you can't bring in a stud like Mavety and be guaranteed he will play right away then it's really a crap shoot, and a waste of scholarship.
On the OL, all that matters is whether the guy would be at least as good as other players who would have to change position in the event of an injury. I'd rather have a specialized OT available on the 2-deep than have to switch a guard and hope it goes well. It's all relative to the talent level and depth.

Next year we're going to have to hope that at least one of our young guys - mostly projects - works out. Ward seems like the best bet but he will be green, and who knows if he can get into game shape by then. After that first guy who will need to step up, we still need some depth there. It's a shame we haven't been able to recruit a deeper pool of tackles, so we do what we have to.

anomander said:

It's adding depth when needed. No more, no less. If the guy comes in and wins the job great. If your RS Soph isn't ready - it's nice to plug in a big body in the event your starter is out.

Not perfect - but better than playing a young guy who just isn't ready yet.

It's adding depth when needed. No more, no less. If the guy comes in and wins the job great. If your RS Soph isn't ready - it's nice to plug in a big body in the event your starter is out.

Not perfect - but better than playing a young guy who just isn't ready yet.

I respect everyone's opinion on it, but I totally disagree. You aren't building a successful program with under the radar JC guys.

anomander said:
I respect everyone's opinion on it, but I totally disagree. You aren't building a successful program with under the radar JC guys.

I agree with that on the whole. Just when you have an immediate hole that needs plugging and your freshman aren't ready and your recruits def aren't ready - what do you do?

I agree with that on the whole. Just when you have an immediate hole that needs plugging and your freshman aren't ready and your recruits def aren't ready - what do you do?

We aren't winning the ACC anytime soon. You develop some young guys. The type of JC kids we are pulling there is no guarantee they are the answer. I'd rather have 5 years to develop a kid then 2.

We aren't winning the ACC anytime soon. You develop some young guys. The type of JC kids we are pulling there is no guarantee they are the answer. I'd rather have 5 years to develop a kid then 2.

they are trying to develop young kids you do remember the 5 they have committed right?

theres no guarantee that any jc kid is the answer or hs kid for that matter. coaches aren't playing for 4/5 years down the road they're playing to win now. yes we'd all like hs kids but if you need to plug a hole on the line then you have to go juco. we by and large haven't pulled b-list jucos either and juco's are hardly shafer's mo as it was with marrone/adkins and anselmo. but lets also keep in mind this kid has no offer, there's going to be insurance kids visiting over the next 2 months.

Id frankly take 10 Darius Kelly's than the HS kids we've been rolling out there at safety over the past 8 years.

and what i wrote above was just poorly worded.

they are trying to develop young kids you do remember the 5 they have committed right?

theres no guarantee that any jc kid is the answer or hs kid for that matter. coaches aren't playing for 4/5 years down the road they're playing to win now. yes we'd all like hs kids but if you need to plug a hole on the line then you have to go juco. we by and large haven't pulled b-list jucos either and juco's are hardly shafer's mo as it was with marrone/adkins and anselmo. but lets also keep in mind this kid has no offer, there's going to be insurance kids visiting over the next 2 months.

Id frankly take 10 Darius Kelly's than the HS kids we've been rolling out there at safety over the past 8 years.

and what i wrote above was just poorly worded.

I actually think we did pretty well with the 2013 JUCO recruiting and what we've gotten out of it. John Miller was a solid backup and starter for a year at center and helped bridge the gap from Macky to the future, Arciniega and Kirkland have provided quality depth at LB and only haven't been utilized more because we've stayed pretty healthy at that position over the past couple of years, Kelly has been sound as a backup and on specials last year and as a starter this year. Wayne Williams is poised to have a big year on the DL next year. The biggest disappointment IMO has been Trejo, who was ironically the most heavily recruited of the bunch.

The guys added late, Lasker, Marona and Howard (who never made it) were depth adds late in the game to try to fill out spots that were left open by all the decommits when Marrone left. Anything we got out of them was better than an open roster spot or a walk-on.

Even looking back further, we got a lot of value out of Nassau with Tiller, Hay, Diabate, and Fisher.

No of course not just ask Kstate. I like Jucos and feel as if they one to four per class is a good thing as it adds maturity to your team as well as a physical aspect that you almost never get with a frosh

No of course not just ask Kstate. I like Jucos and feel as if they one to four per class is a good thing as it adds maturity to your team as well as a physical aspect that you almost never get with a frosh

Oh I knew that was coming. Good for KST, name 1 other program that has successfully built their program around JC kids?

We shall see.

Sadly, that's an apples to oranges comparison. A "warm body" on Florida State would be the equivalent of the best guy on our team.

Make no mistake: Mavety would have been an impact player here.

I wasn't comparing him to anyone, just stating facts at this point. Anomander seems to believe that he will start next year, I disagree and believe that he was brought in for depth. Remember at FSU, they recruit 4 & 5 star kids all the time and there is a possibility in every class for a kid to get recruited over.

Whether he would have started and been a stud here, who knows.