Class of 2015 - JUCO OT Calvin Steyn (CA) Visiting | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 JUCO OT Calvin Steyn (CA) Visiting

Build a program? No. Supplement a program yes. Most schools take and have jucos. Lots of SEC schools have jucos all over their rosters and Ole Miss and Miss St have been huge juco schools. They probably have a bunch committed right now.

I think a few of you are overreacting about this JUCO thing. Syracuse has had some decent success with the JUCO route the last few years, and it is likely that we would continue to do so. Players like Tiller, Alexander, Hay, Diabate, Kirkland, Taj Smith, Wayne Williams, etc have been solid contributors to the program.

I don't think any poster is suggesting we build a roster full of JUCO players ala KSU or Boise St. However, most schools DO have JUCO players. West Virginia has 11 on their roster to go along with 6 D1 transfers. In fact, I'd like to see Syracuse grab more transfer students if done correctly.

Big difference between the JC kids Ole Miss and Miss St are pulling compared to what we get.

Big difference between the JC kids Ole Miss and Miss St are pulling compared to what we get.
It's relative to the talent level of the team they're going to. That's all that matters for filling a gap.

It's relative to the talent level of the team they're going to. That's all that matters for filling a gap.

We aren't good enough just to be filling gaps. We should be trying to bring in kids who can potentially be a difference maker. We're a program that should be built on development. Nobody would have predicted Pugh or Hickey being future NFLers. By the time JC kids go to college you pretty much know what you're getting, and we aren't pulling any future NFL JC kids. I'd rather roll a dice on an under the radar 3 star.

But I digress, we are all just repeating ourselves.

Last edited:
I don't know why people are so against JuCo kids. They're 1 -2 years more physically and mentally developed than HS seniors and just as hungry if not more.

FSU & Alabama always have JuCos on their rosters both Starting and rotating in to get serious snaps.

People are prejudiced against JuCos as if they are felons or something lol. Granted you get some bad apples but plenty of HS recruits flame out too

I wish we took more JuCos especially since we've got 2 powerhouse programs downstate, Nassau CC & ASA

I don't know why people are so against JuCo kids. They're 1 -2 years more physically and mentally developed than HS seniors and just as hungry if not more.

FSU & Alabama always have JuCos on their rosters both Starting and rotating in to get serious snaps.

People are prejudiced against JuCos as if they are felons or something lol. Granted you get some bad apples but plenty of HS recruits flame out too

I wish we took more JuCos especially since we've got 2 powerhouse programs downstate, Nassau CC & ASA
In my opinion, one of the problem with Ju Cos is that many of them are two year players and they can mess up your recruiting by taking the spot of 4 -5 year player, who could end up contributing longer. Selective use of Ju Cos to plug holes and cover previous recruiting miss steps is the best way to approach Ju cos. I would not mind this approach if we could get the same level of talented Ju Cos, that an Alabama or USC or a Florida State gets!

I wasn't comparing him to anyone, just stating facts at this point. Anomander seems to believe that he will start next year, I disagree and believe that he was brought in for depth. Remember at FSU, they recruit 4 & 5 star kids all the time and there is a possibility in every class for a kid to get recruited over.

Whether he would have started and been a stud here, who knows.
Mavety would have started here for sure! I am not a betting man, but I would have betted on that one.

I'm talking about what you wrote..."For a JUCO guy to sit the bench and play one year is not good at all." Then you say our guys do that all the time. So you are saying it's not good. And your right with Mavety. He was nothing more then a warm body. I really think he would have started here, but that's another story. But if you can't bring in a stud like Mavety and be guaranteed he will play right away then it's really a crap shoot, and a waste of scholarship.
All this talk only highlights how weak our program is. A guy with only two years of eligibility, would rather sit on the bench at Florida State, then play at Syracuse. Think about that for a minute!

Mavety would have started here for sure! I am not a betting man, but I would have betted on that one.

Yes, because every talented sure fire stud kid that ever came here should start and did. Got it.

Says who? Rvls and scowt and the star ratings? Has anyone actually done an analysis to see how many jc kids become all conference or pros' ?

What's the big difference though? Was there a big difference before Mullen and the other guy turned those programs around? Doubtful as they are doormats.

I answered your question though. You said besides kstate and I gave you two more off the top of my head.

Half of the sec kids are probably part of the 35 player classes that aren't qualified so they're stashed in jucos.

Says who? Rvls and scowt and the star ratings? Has anyone actually done an analysis to see how many jc kids become all conference or pros' ?

What's the big difference ?

Half of the sec kids are probably part of the 35 player classes that aren't qualified so they're stashed in jucos.

I'm talking about the JC kids we get. Go ahead name 1 that is in the NFL?

And you have some weird obsession w/ Skout and Rvals

Andrew Tiller.

Who's practice squad is he hanging on with?

San Francisco.

But that isn't the point--he was a JUCO offensive lineman who was drafted and still in the NFL, several years later.

If you can get quality players, you get them--no matter what rock you had to overturn to land them. I have no idea of this Steyn guy is a warm body or someone who could legitimately challenge for the two deep [as I state above]. But I wouldn't dismiss a quality JUCO just because they're not a high school prospect. You get the best players you can, period. Now, if you want to discuss whether or not we can fill multiple needs that way, whether it is a viable long-term strategy to go after lots of JUCOs, that's a different discussion. But situationally, to address one off depth problems, you do it if the guy is an upgrade.

And if the JUCO isn't an upgrade over what you already have in the two deep, then don't recruit them. Simple.

Last edited:
How many HS schollies do we hand out where kids never see quality snaps?
Why not grab 2 successive JuCos to fill those last schollies and have a much better chance at players who are ready to contribute ?

I am talking about jucos. You said there is a big difference btw a miss/miss st juco than our jucos. What's the difference?

I really don't care if JUCOs go on to play in the NFL as long as they did a job for us. You can't deny we've had a few guys that contributed a lot to this program coming from a JUCO.

I really don't care if JUCOs go on to play in the NFL as long as they did a job for us. You can't deny we've had a few guys that contributed a lot to this program coming from a JUCO.
What do you think of these two kids?
Edit - read your Dungey article.

Agree-Just recently Darius Kelly, Deon Goggins, Taj Smith, Chris Clark -Even Kirkland has produced

What do you think of these two kids?
Edit - read your Dungey article.
Looking at this kid's tape I don't really see anything special which concerns me. Really like Dungey/Dunkelberger though. If we're going to bring in JUCO's they should have the upside of a kid like Dunkelberger. I don't see upside with Steyn.

Looking at this kid's tape I don't really see anything special which concerns me. Really like Dungey/Dunkelberger though. If we're going to bring in JUCO's they should have the upside of a kid like Dunkelberger. I don't see upside with Steyn.
Thanks